Big 12 Pausing Expansion | The Boneyard

Big 12 Pausing Expansion

Reaction Score
Dave Benedict just sent an email advising the Big 12 is pausing expansion.

Dear UConn Nation,

As you know, it’s been both an exciting and turbulent time in college athletics over the past few years. With the emergence of NIL and the transfer portal, the landscape has changed dramatically. Further, conference realignment has significantly blurred the national panorama.

Undoubtedly, many of you have followed recent media reports about the Big 12’s renewed interest in UConn as a conference member. It is always our objective to put UConn in the very best position for future success, so we did engage in exploratory dialogue with the Big 12. Ultimately, the Big 12 determined that it will pause on conversations about membership expansion.

I encourage all who care deeply about the Huskies to pause and reflect. Certainly, it is flattering to be courted; it says a lot about UConn and what others think of us. Further, we have enjoyed tremendous success since our return to the BIG EAST in 2020, which has included 36 conference championships (across all conferences in which we are affiliated) and, of course, our back-to-back NCAA men’s basketball titles.

No matter our conference home, our mission has been, and will always be, to provide an exceptional academic and athletic experience to the outstanding young men and women who proudly wear the UConn uniform. It is our North Star, and we must never forget the shining principle which guides our everyday work.

Let’s celebrate who we are and be proud of our greatness. We will push forward, stay grounded in what drives us, and demonstrate our ability to be highly successful in every one of our 21 varsity sports. We will stay focused on achievement in everything we do. And we will continue to position UConn as one of the nation’s premier brands. Your ongoing support, both emotionally and financially, remains critical to ensuring a bright future and maintaining the championship tradition which defines UConn Athletics.

Thank you for your dedication to our nearly 600 student-athletes. Go Huskies!

Sincerely,

mail

David Benedict

Director of Athletics

Reaction Score
Can someone smarter and more tuned-in than me tell me what Benedict was trying to do with that letter? On its face, it says absolutely nothing, so the interesting angle of it must lie in between the lines.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Can someone smarter and more tuned-in than me tell me what Benedict was trying to do with that letter? On its face, it says absolutely nothing, so the interesting angle of it must lie in between the lines.

Reset expectations and quell endless B12 speculation. Nothing major is happening until 2026 when the ACC GOR expires and all hell breaks loose.

Reaction Score
It's always in the next to last paragraph: In order to keep championing, you need to double up on both your emotional and financial support

Reaction Score
3x the B12 has killed the idea of adding UConn. Truly amazing.

Reaction Score
quell boosters who were either militantly for or against joining the big 12.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
quell boosters who were either militantly for or against joining the big 12.
Well hopefully those against have deeeep pockets because as much as I like the Big East, running an athletic department in the deep red year after year will catch up to us at some point.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Didn’t really make sense for the Big 12 to add us right now.

May as well wait until the ACC and add us in with a group there if possible. We could also try and see if the ACC would accept us at the slight chance they stay together.

If they don’t hope over to the Big 12 anyways

Reaction Score
Dave Benedict just sent an email advising the Big 12 is pausing expansion.

Dear UConn Nation,

As you know, it’s been both an exciting and turbulent time in college athletics over the past few years. With the emergence of NIL and the transfer portal, the landscape has changed dramatically. Further, conference realignment has significantly blurred the national panorama.

Undoubtedly, many of you have followed recent media reports about the Big 12’s renewed interest in UConn as a conference member. It is always our objective to put UConn in the very best position for future success, so we did engage in exploratory dialogue with the Big 12. Ultimately, the Big 12 determined that it will pause on conversations about membership expansion.

I encourage all who care deeply about the Huskies to pause and reflect. Certainly, it is flattering to be courted; it says a lot about UConn and what others think of us. Further, we have enjoyed tremendous success since our return to the BIG EAST in 2020, which has included 36 conference championships (across all conferences in which we are affiliated) and, of course, our back-to-back NCAA men’s basketball titles.

No matter our conference home, our mission has been, and will always be, to provide an exceptional academic and athletic experience to the outstanding young men and women who proudly wear the UConn uniform. It is our North Star, and we must never forget the shining principle which guides our everyday work.

Let’s celebrate who we are and be proud of our greatness. We will push forward, stay grounded in what drives us, and demonstrate our ability to be highly successful in every one of our 21 varsity sports. We will stay focused on achievement in everything we do. And we will continue to position UConn as one of the nation’s premier brands. Your ongoing support, both emotionally and financially, remains critical to ensuring a bright future and maintaining the championship tradition which defines UConn Athletics.

Thank you for your dedication to our nearly 600 student-athletes. Go Huskies!

Sincerely,

mail

David Benedict

Director of Athletics
We're going to have to make a decision on keeping football or getting rid of it completely. There's no light at the end of the tunnel.

Reaction Score
Didn’t really make sense for the Big 12 to add us right now.

May as well wait until the ACC and add us in with a group there if possible. We could also try and see if the ACC would accept us at the slight chance they stay together.

If they don’t hope over to the Big 12 anyways
Neither of them want us. We're never going to be positioned better than we are right now and the presidents still don't want us. I don't really see that changing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom