Big 12 Non-Expansion: What Does It Mean to the AAC and UConn? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Non-Expansion: What Does It Mean to the AAC and UConn?

Reaction Score
Well, I agree that it's setting the bar at a really high level. The Big 12 just decided not to invite anyone despite having the lowest financial and academic barriers to entry out of any P5 league, so it's even higher for the other power conferences. The bar is only going to get higher from this point forward (which is why alternative options like football independence for UConn, which would have been a terrible idea before yesterday, might now need to be at least considered since the P5 is effectively shutting its doors down for the next generation).

Frank:

Like I said, UMASS would love to be in the American right now.

Big 12 football expansion: UMass needs to be ready to pounce on conference realignment trickle-down effect

Reaction Score
Don't know if you saw the article prior to our game with them but he doesn't call the plays for USF (Taggart does). While he certainly plays a part in the success of their offense this year, you could easily say that has as much to do with the talent they have on the field as well as the plays called by Taggart.

He himself said he didn't think he earned the UConn Head Coach offer with his performance as Interim.

I think he was being humble. Things turned out alright for him, and he didn't want to come off as bitter.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I'm friends with the highest up in the athletic administration at UMass. I don't have a lot of connections in life, but I know everyone meaningful there well.

They'd eat their left toe to be in the American.

One of the big problems in athletics is that some AD convinced some president to make a decision, and 10-15 years down the road, the new Ad and the new president claim that the decision has already been made, and that they are stuck with the investments already made, and that to blow it up now is to admit to sunk costs, and that risks the current job.

This is how schools get stuck in no win situations. You can explain the absurdity of it all. Schools will risk losing AAU status over it. But in the end, the leaders are gutless and continue on doing craziness.

This is another way of saying that UMass has not yet sunk its financial future with $200m in debt for building facilities.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Tulane is a legitimately excellent academic school, though - that's what university presidents want..

So CR is all about football success, except that university presidents are making the decisions, so it's really about academics, except that it is really about and ratings, except that ratings don't matter unless you are P5, and the games that rated the highest are football, so CR is all about football success, except that university presidents....

Reaction Score
Football does seem to drive some of the media contracts...at least we know that is true for the ACC according to several statements from the conference commissioner. Other conferences may have different drivers but we have heard a lot of rumbling from the Big 12 about teams not having enough "value". Whatever that means to the conference.

I am sure that markets and other factors also play in.

But football seems to be the straw that stirs the drink.

College Football TV Ratings — Sports Media Watch

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This board is showing its aholeness and truncated his email

athletic director
@
UConn.edu

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
There is an entirely different reason it stops mattering after two nutkicks. When you don't have any nuts left to kick it no longer hurts.
don't undersell the taint kick...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom