Big 12 FB only? | The Boneyard

Big 12 FB only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I saw this posted on the WVU site recently, not as a rumor but as an idea (w/r/t Boise and BYU). Seems like something we could possibly pursue. They need 2 teams. Why not pitch them a low ball offer football only ($5M?) and try to get into the Big East for the rest of our sports?

Reaction Score
7 million and its a deal... We play either Texas or Oklahoma in NYC or Boston yearly

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I saw this posted on the WVU site recently, not as a rumor but as an idea (w/r/t Boise and BYU). Seems like something we could possibly pursue. They need 2 teams. Why not pitch them a low ball offer football only ($5M?) and try to get into the Big East for the rest of our sports?

Considering our biggest selling point to the B12 is basketball, why would they want to do this? It doesn't even fix any of the WVU travel issues, which are in the non-football sports.

Reaction Score
The only teams that had more drafted players then us was TX and OK in the big 12. Its not our fault that our coach is a BC spy sent from the past to destroy Uconn football.

Reaction Score
In the next realignment it might work like that. CFB and MBB would be in one conference for the money and all of the other sports would be in a local conference. UCONN could ask the B12 for CFB, MBB and WBB but stay away from the WVU travel issues by having your other sports in a conference with local schools. You don't want golf or tennis traveling thousands of miles. You want them on a short bus for 2-3 hours max.

Reaction Score
Considering our biggest selling point to the B12 is basketball, why would they want to do this? It doesn't even fix any of the WVU travel issues, which are in the non-football sports.

I think the new helmet sells them on FB only. Alternatively, if they want hoops I'm sure we would talk.

Reaction Score
ehh they will say that until uconn asks... or as they would put it begs to get in it. If there football was able to get into a better conference.

Reaction Score
there are lots of options Uconn could do.
From what I can gather, and it's just a hunch, Uconn's leadership feels the best option is to remain in the Double-A C.

Aren't we done grasping at straws at this point?

Reaction Score
If you're going to talk WVU threads, I'd be more concerned about the one discussing who the various WVU denizens would like to see as teams 11 & 12. Some are suggesting Cinci & Memphis. While there are other teams mentioned, Cinci seems to be the team du jour. When mentioning UConn, those posters feel that UConn only good in hoops & is angling for an ACC invite. (They must not have gotten Waylon's memo to B1Gharder.)

Reaction Score
Why not just make UConn like the Washington Generals of the SEC? We park our football team in the MAC.

UConn agrees to play three SEC road games yearly against Alabama, Florida, LSU on a permanent basis, then we'd rotate one of Georgia, Texas A&M and South Carolina. That'd give us our 4 out of conference games.

In exchange, the SEC schools agree to send 1,000 of their cutest coeds to the Rent for halftime shows for each of our 4 MAC home games. One show would be produced by Carolyn Luby and the others by the producers of the honey boo boo show. We get sponsors like Jello, Reddi-wip, Senor Frogs on board. Get the top bands from Coachella to do a tailgate warm up party. A few laws would have to be repealed, but we've got political capital at the Governor's office right now. Let's start spending it.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
If we're going to consider Big 12 just go all in. In the AAC we'd be going to SMU, Houston, Tulane and Tulsa which is all in or around Big 12 teams

Reaction Score
If the Big 12 is considering football only members, than the Big 12 will not last past the current GORs as the teams that can will abandon the Big 12 at that point.

Reaction Score
If we are going to the B12, we have to go all in. There is no point do any more of this FB only or basketball only stuff. We should only take FB only if we have no other choice.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
there are lots of options Uconn could do.
From what I can gather, and it's just a hunch, Uconn's leadership feels the best option is to remain in the Double-A C.

Aren't we done grasping at straws at this point?
catintinfoil.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Was Washington done grasping at straws after the Battle of Bunker Hill? I think not. He kept plugging away until he got the victories at Trenton and Princeton. Was the North done grasping at straws after the Battle of Bull Run? No, I say and we prevailed at Gettysburg.

This is the America my friend. We don't give up (well except for Vietnam, and maybe Afghanistan), we keep on fighting. So by god feel free to pitch your bizarre realignment idea. If any of us had anything better to do, we wouldn't be on the realignment board in the first place. Now, go ahead hum God Bless America to yourself and post to explain how your Pac 12 for volleyball theory works if you add a GOR for the Mountain time zone.

I salute you fellow conspiracy theorists - I salute you all!

Reaction Score
If the Big 12 offers this, both UConn and Cincinnati should take it. As with many WVU-based rumors/ideas, though, it makes little sense as to why the Big 12 would offer this. The best asset that UConn has to sell the Big 12 is its overall athletic department as opposed to football specifically. The Big 12 seems to be the most likely power conference to at least entertain expansion at this point with AAC/MWC schools (or the wild card of BYU), so that provides some hope for UConn, but that doesn't really translate into a desire for football-only memberships.

Reaction Score
If the Big 12 offers this, both UConn and Cincinnati should take it. As with many WVU-based rumors/ideas, though, it makes little sense as to why the Big 12 would offer this. The best asset that UConn has to sell the Big 12 is its overall athletic department as opposed to football specifically. The Big 12 seems to be the most likely power conference to at least entertain expansion at this point with AAC/MWC schools (or the wild card of BYU), so that provides some hope for UConn, but that doesn't really translate into a desire for football-only memberships.
someone is going to expand at some point. i hope uconns leadership is putting uconn in a position to be at the top of the list.
i dont see why anyone would invite uconn for fb only. especilly the big12.

Reactions: GG
Reaction Score
I recognize this is a long shot (like everything else). That said, assuming the Big 12 wants to go to 12 for a championship game, who knows? The consensus internet chatter is that they do not view any available schools as bringing enough to the table to warrant full membership. UConn as a partial football member would bring a brand name in a new/ important market that can be had for pennies on the dollar. They could do worse. And I don't see BYU taking this deal, so why are we not one of two adds to get to 12?

Reaction Score
If you're going to talk WVU threads, I'd be more concerned about the one discussing who the various WVU denizens would like to see as teams 11 & 12. Some are suggesting Cinci & Memphis. While there are other teams mentioned, Cinci seems to be the team du jour. When mentioning UConn, those posters feel that UConn only good in hoops & is angling for an ACC invite. (They must not have gotten Waylon's memo to B1Gharder.)

What is funny is if WVU fans think their opinions will matter at all to the rest of the Big 12 when it comes to future expansion. The Big 12 has already decided to stay at 10 teams for the time being, leaving WVU out on an island and their student-athletes forced into ridiculous travel circumstances for conference play. They can dream of Cincy and Memphis as much as they want. It won't make it any more of a reality than their dreams of Florida State and Clemson.

When the Big 12 announced they were bringing in TCU and WVU, they also said they looked at Louisville and BYU. With BYU still being unclaimed by any major conference, those WVU fans are kidding themselves if they think future Big 12 expansion won't include the Mormons.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The idea of football-only membership is inane.

Honestly, anyone proposing it here should self-ban themselves for 30 days for wasting bandwidth.

The Big 12 duck*ed up by not taking UL and Cincy with WV - the nine schools not named Texas should have pushed UT's nuts off their chin for two minutes and solidified their conference at 12 schools.

When Texas bails in ten years and takes whoever else with them, there'll be six or eight teams in the Big 12 that will feel a lot like we do in the AAC. (Basically, because they'll be in the AAC.)

Reaction Score
I have reflected on this and do not agree the thread is outside of community norms of inanity for the board. I hear you though, and, as a gesture of good faith and responsible posting, I have decided not to start the logical follow up thread: " Pac 14 FB only?"

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Cinci is logical, it is much closer to them. Memphis? If they think Memphis has better football than UConn they are even dumber than we thought.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
From the B12's point of view- what on earth is the upside of taking UConn football only instead of as a full member?

Reaction Score
Cinci is logical, it is much closer to them. Memphis? If they think Memphis has better football than UConn they are even dumber than we thought.

That isn't really the context. Only one person suggested Memphis. Most WVU fans are all for adding UConn, Cincy or both. They just want programs closer to them and they seem to realize that UConn basketball brings value. Their presumption is that we prefer the ACC.

The one term you see on the WVU board all the time though is "doesn't move the needle" in regard to UConn, Cincy etc. I find that funny because all these Podunk school's fans use it like we are small time and they aren't. Reality is, there is a very small handful of programs that move the needle by themselves. They are ND, UT, UF, Michigan, OSU, UNC and maybe a couple others. Otherwise, nobody really stands alone as a mega program. Certainly not WVU and the like. Content will ultimately return the most to a conference and we offer as much good/great content as anybody. I am quite confident we will be picked up and it is looking more like B1G to me than any place else. As I have said before, I think we will look back on our time in purgatory and be very happy things happened the way they did.

Reaction Score
From the B12's point of view- what on earth is the upside of taking UConn football only instead of as a full member?

It would only be economic. The Big 12 would presumably pay FB only member(s) less than what the conference would be projected to earn by playing a championship game. This all premised on the possibility that the Big 12 will eventually be looking for the path of least resistance/warm body to get to a championship game. Given we will be working for minimum wage in the AAC, there is presumably a deal to be had that would make economic sense for all involved.

All of the above being said, I'm sure its a non-starter for 80+ reasons I have failed to list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom