big-12-commissioner-league-could-be-proactive-in-expansion | The Boneyard

big-12-commissioner-league-could-be-proactive-in-expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And the MWC thought they had a pretty good day ...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Is it just me or do you just want to plant a pick-ax square in the middle of Bowlsby's or Delaney's smug face when they demurely mention that they're just surveying the landscape? It's like drowning and having a couple of people stand by the water's edge holding a lifejacket saying that they want to see if you learn to swim before they trouble themselves to throw it.

Part of me thinks/knows these MF'ers know where they're going, but they're taking their sweet time getting there.

The ACC should be a cautionary tale - they got cute and ended up watching the Big Ten punt them out of the mid-Atlantic. They probably should have gone after Syracuse, Rutgers and Connecticut to own the eastern seaboard, but they were too smart by half and now they own central New York and a teeny sliver of Kentucky.

Moral - if you know where you need to be, go there now. Stop -footing around. Let's get this s*** show rollin'! Start the carnage!

Reaction Score
At least we'll end up in the ACC, worst case scenario.

U

UConn9604

At least we'll end up in the ACC, worst case scenario.

I think you're right, but I can also think of far, far worse case scenarios than ending up in the ACC.

Reaction Score
My problem with all of this is twofold. The ACC might have a far stronger hand than we're imagining, if ESPN is whispering in its ear that it will take care of them no matter what (i.e. will not lose FSU and Clemson if it comes to $$). That will likely mean that the B1G holds and the B12 never comes sniffing anywhere near Connecticut. Even worse, if the ACC loses 2 members, the thought of them HAVING to add UConn and Cincy is not then automatic. Especially since the idea of adding Cincy might be repugnant enough to them that they refuse to add even 1 school.

Reaction Score
My problem with all of this is twofold. The ACC might have a far stronger hand than we're imagining, if ESPN is whispering in its ear that it will take care of them no matter what (i.e. will not lose FSU and Clemson if it comes to )....

Keep wearing your tinfoil hat, this is 9/11 Truth conspiracy level...good riddance!

Reaction Score
Keep wearing your tinfoil hat, this is 9/11 Truth conspiracy level...good riddance!

Wow, you think ESPN isn't talking to Swofford?

You think the likelihood of that is as low as the likelihood of a 9/11 conspiracy?

Are you serious?

Is there anyone here other than you that doesn't believe ESPN talks about payouts and scenarios with Swofford?

Anyone? Bueller?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Um of course I'll keep wearing it. If you take it off the mind control beams can take control.
Silly post, NHU.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Moral - if you know where you need to be, go there now. Stop -footing around. Let's get this s*** show rollin'! Start the carnage!

To paraphrase the AD of the University of Florida when it came time to fire Zook and hire Meyers, "What needs to be done eventually, should be done immediately".

He was referring to manpower management, but it applies here too. The sooner the Big 4 conferences finalize their pillage the quicker they can start maximizing their income.

Reaction Score
1. They all needed Pete Rozelle. One Grand Commissioner so that 15 Presidents, a Priest or 3, Conference Commissioners & Orange Bowl idiots didn't embarrass themselves.

2. Of course the Network guys are right at their hip, it is what DeFillippo said. And Aresco, he listens to them more than Marinatto listened to Priests. Tulane? I wonder what that Prospect memo said.

3. There are still valuable assets. UNLV getting an $800 m stadium? Tampa & Orlando covered by good Universities. Rising. Plus that 3 time National Champion in Hoop with the Brand kids buy.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think Frank the Tank hit the nail on the head. The ACC members (apart from FSU) really like the conference, but hate the TV deal. Do you think UNC, Duke, Virginia or WF want to be anywhere else? They don't. Meanwhile, the B12 members probably don't love the conference, but love their TV deal.

Unfortunately, the ACC aimed wrong. They should have left the B12 a logical expansion path. Had they taken UConn, Syracuse and Rutgers. The B12 would have Pitt, Louisville and Cincy to go with WVU in a nice, regional pod. I can't imagine that the B12 likes the idea of being scattered from WV to Florida and SC, with nothing in between. It's a recipe for instability.

Reaction Score
I thik Frank the Tank hit the nail on the head. The ACC members (apart from FSU) really like the conference, but hate the TV deal. Do you think UNC, Duke, Virginia or WF want to be anywhere else? They don't. Meanwhile, the B12 members probably don't love the conference, but love their TV deal.

Unfortunately, the ACC aimed wrong. They should have left the B12 a logical expansion path. Had they taken UConn, Syracuse and Rutgers. The B12 would have Pitt, Louisville and Cincy to go with WVU in a nice, regional pod. I can't imagine that the B12 likes the idea of being scattered from WV to Florida and SC, with nothing in between. It's a recipe for instability.
How all that unfolded really is unfortunate. How they couldn't grasp such simple logic is baffling.

Reaction Score
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Um of course I'll keep wearing it. If you take it off the mind control beams can take control.
Silly post, NHU.

Oh...well...I didn't know *puts tin foil hat back on*

Reaction Score
Wow, you think ESPN isn't talking to Swofford?

You think the likelihood of that is as low as the likelihood of a 9/11 conspiracy?

Are you serious?

Is there anyone here other than you that doesn't believe ESPN talks about payouts and scenarios with Swofford?

Anyone? Bueller?

Talking - I believe it. Wheeling and dealing like it's the devil's pact? - Nope...don't believe it.

Reaction Score
Talking - I believe it. Wheeling and dealing like it's the devil's pact? - Nope...don't believe it.

Let me get this straight. ESPN, threatened with losing the only major conference it totally controls, is not communicating to the ACC its intentions? Come'on!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I am sure ESPN is in communications with everyone.

But in defending the ACC, they cannot afford to alienate their other partners, namely the Big 12 and SEC, who are ultimately more important when the world whittles down to superconferences.

Reaction Score
I am sure ESPN is in communications with everyone.

But in defending the ACC, they cannot afford to alienate their other partners, namely the Big 12 and SEC, who are ultimately more important when the world whittles down to superconferences.

The tug-of-war though though will be over FSU and Clemson. Surely ESPN has communicated to the ACC already what it intends to do to keep them out of the B12's hands. They are partners with the B12, but so if Fox.

The ACC needs to be a little greedy before it finds itself totally on the outs.

I'm not buying the general story that the B12 is more stable than the ACC. I know that FSU hates Tobacco Road, and that' the only reason I think the ACC is in trouble. But otherwise, we're talking about a Plains state conference versus a South Atlantic seaboard conference. In the end, the markets are going to count, and outside of Austin, TX, I struggle to see what the heck the B12 is about.

It made a ton of sense when they were about to divvy up that conference between the Pac10, B1G and the SEC.

pj

Reaction Score

The choice to add Louisville over UConn was not made by the league office (Swofford), but by the university presidents. And ACC schools benefit by creating a situation where there's a bidding war for their schools. That means depriving the B12 of expansion opportunities other than the ACC. Florida State University didn't want Louisville available as an option for the Big 12.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The tug-of-war though though will be over FSU and Clemson. Surely ESPN has communicated to the ACC already what it intends to do to keep them out of the B12's hands. They are partners with the B12, but so if Fox.

ESPN has Tier 1 rights in the Big 12 - ESPN just might not mind having those rights include FSU and Clemson vs Texas, OU, OSU, KState, etc. You can make far more appealing combinations with those schools in the B12 than you can with the ACC. (FSU vs Clemson might be the most appealing gig that conference has...past that, what, VaTech?)

In the grand scheme of things, the ACC might end up being a relatively inexpensive source of content for ESPN to fill the gaps between their better offerings.

Reaction Score
1. They all needed Pete Rozelle. One Grand Commissioner so that 15 Presidents, a Priest or 3, Conference Commissioners & Orange Bowl idiots didn't embarrass themselves.

2. Of course the Network guys are right at their hip, it is what DeFillippo said. And Aresco, he listens to them more than Marinatto listened to Priests. Tulane? I wonder what that Prospect memo said.

3. There are still valuable assets. UNLV getting an $800 m stadium? Tampa & Orlando covered by good Universities. Rising. Plus that 3 time National Champion in Hoop with the Brand kids buy.

The only explanation for Tulane is that Aresco spent a weekend in New Orleans once and someone at Tulane has pictures.

Reaction Score
M H V3eer says that the target is Miami. Some of his post from the WVU board:

Fox has a big fish on the line for the B12.

The University of Miami, through a third party of course, has informed the network and the B12(on Tuesday evening) that they would accept an invitation to the B12 if one were to come. No other schools in the ACC are willing to jump just yet to us but Miami is.

Miami has had reservations about the B12 not having a northeast presence but that no longer seems to be as great a concern-WVU's presence in the east helps a bunch. Miami has told the B12 that at least 2 other schools are leaving the ACC to go the B1G and they thought now was the time for them to think about their future as well.

This is why you are now hearing Bowlsby speak about expansion. By maintaining for so long that the B12 was happy at 10 it put us in the best possible position of power we could be in. “Let them come to us” he said last summer, and he was right.

Miami is a program that really needs “to be built up” and by joining the B12 they can do just that.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
M H V3eer says that the target is Miami. Some of his post from the WVU board:

Fox has a big fish on the line for the B12.

The University of Miami, through a third party of course, has informed the network and the B12(on Tuesday evening) that they would accept an invitation to the B12 if one were to come. No other schools in the ACC are willing to jump just yet to us but Miami is.

Miami has had reservations about the B12 not having a northeast presence but that no longer seems to be as great a concern-WVU's presence in the east helps a bunch. Miami has told the B12 that at least 2 other schools are leaving the ACC to go the B1G and they thought now was the time for them to think about their future as well.

This is why you are now hearing Bowlsby speak about expansion. By maintaining for so long that the B12 was happy at 10 it put us in the best possible position of power we could be in. “Let them come to us” he said last summer, and he was right.

Miami is a program that really needs “to be built up” and by joining the B12 they can do just that.

The premise that Miami thinks WVU helps in the east is more farfetched than BL's Jennifer Aniston fantasies. If one thing is true of Miami's alumni and prospective students, it is that they do not live in WV.

Miami might well be a candidate, but WVU has nothing to do with it. The reality is that most of the ACCs problems stem from a weak contract. If Miami, BC and VT returned to form and UNC ever got its stuff together, it could be a very good league.

Ok State is newly competitive and Snyder is KSU. The B12 is facing challenges. If the ACC shows any solidarity the B12 may crumble.

Reaction Score
ESPN has Tier 1 rights in the Big 12 - ESPN just might not mind having those rights include FSU and Clemson vs Texas, OU, OSU, KState, etc. You can make far more appealing combinations with those schools in the B12 than you can with the ACC. (FSU vs Clemson might be the most appealing gig that conference has...past that, what, VaTech?)

In the grand scheme of things, the ACC might end up being a relatively inexpensive source of content for ESPN to fill the gaps between their better offerings.

I agree it's more appealing, but then I wonder if the number of people in that region might give the ACC significantly more pull ($$) than the Plains state schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom