Big 12 “Looking to Plant A Flag In NYC” | The Boneyard

Big 12 “Looking to Plant A Flag In NYC”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

“The Big 12 will announce Thursday it is partnering with Rucker Park to launch a series of youth clinics featuring its head basketball coaches in Harlem this summer and hopes to host exhibition games on the famed playground court in 2024, a conference source told The Athletic.

The conference is aiming to host men’s and women’s exhibition games at Rucker Park in the summer of 2024, pending approval from the NCAA. The Big 12 will send men’s and women’s basketball coaches to New York City to lead the clinics for local sixth graders and younger this summer.”

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Pass. Moving from the Big East is going to weaken the basketball program. It makes sense to do it for the Big Ten, and possibly the ACC, but not the Big Twelve.
I wouldn’t love it, from a fan’s perspective, but from a long-term financial stability perspective, I don’t think we could say no if full membership was offered. On the other hand, I have a lot of hesitancy about the proposed basketball only addition with St. John’s Nova and Georgetown that is getting some Internet buzz.

Reaction Score
I am mostly in the ACC or Big10 or stay camp but have to look at finances. I believe it would be somewhere between 10 and 20 million a year in extra revenue being in the big12. That is a big enough number where you kind of have to take it
Make no mistake about it, the next move if there is one will be financially motivated. The athletic department is hemorrhaging cash and it can’t go on forever.

Drew

Reaction Score
As a FBS member, my understanding is UConn (or any other school in FBS) can’t join a conference that sponsors FBS football as basketball only with football in a different league/remaining independent.

If the B12 adds UConn it has to be in either football only or all sports

Reaction Score
As a FBS member, my understanding is UConn (or any other school in FBS) can’t join a conference that sponsors FBS football as basketball only with football in a different league/remaining independent.

I've always thought that was an NCAA rule, but even if it is, these days it seems like the NCAA is hands off and letting the car just drive itself and where ever it goes it goes.

Drew

Reaction Score

I've always thought that was an NCAA rule, but even if it is, these days it seems like the NCAA is hands off and letting the car just drive itself and where ever it goes it goes.
I lied- they could remain independent (Notre Dame + ACC example) just not in another FBS league

Reaction Score
Long term, is the Big 12 more stable than the acc?
I think the question of survival comes down to who is more aggressive and thinking big about expansion? Big 12 is looking to add actual big name brands people have heard of to their conference. Pac 12 is looking to back fill with Fresno St and SDSU and can't find a network interested in broadcasting their games. ACC is just going to sit on their hands and watch the house burn down around them because they're the Pac 12 of the east coast when push comes to shove. In the short term I think this goes to a P2 then a middle tier like the Big 12 and then a tier of former power schools dangling by a thread from falling into the abyss hoping to be saved at the last minute by the P2.

Reaction Score
Pass. Moving from the Big East is going to weaken the basketball program. It makes sense to do it for the Big Ten, and possibly the ACC, but not the Big Twelve.
I'm more of a football fan, but I can't agree with this more. With Texas and Oklahoma leaving the Big 12 is going to suffer greatly with TV revenue and recruiting. The closest team for UConn would be WV and that's still a haul. Big 10 and ACC are the only conferences that make financial sense for UConn to move to on a permanent basis.

Drew

Reaction Score
I'm more of a football fan, but I can't agree with this more. With Texas and Oklahoma leaving the Big 12 is going to suffer greatly with TV revenue and recruiting. The closest team for UConn would be WV and that's still a haul. Big 10 and ACC are the only conferences that make financial sense for UConn to move to on a permanent basis.
Didn’t the Big 12 just sign a TV deal at like $31M per team sans OU and TX? How are they suffering greatly with TV revenue?

Reaction Score
I’d love to be in the B1G or SEC but that’s not likely. The B12 is probably a better option than the ACC right now. It is certainly more stable, at a minimum.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I am mostly in the ACC or Big10 or stay camp but have to look at finances. I believe it would be somewhere between 10 and 20 million a year in extra revenue being in the big12. That is a big enough number where you kind of have to take it
$10 million a year, no. $20 million a year, yes.

In between, it depends on how close to either end it is.

(Oh wait, you were talking about 10 to 20,000,000 a year in extra revenue? Then yes depending on how you define extra. If you were saying $10-$20 million over the expected new Big East contract, then definitely, but I can’t see it being that high.)

Reaction Score
I think the question of survival comes down to who is more aggressive and thinking big about expansion? Big 12 is looking to add actual big name brands people have heard of to their conference. Pac 12 is looking to back fill with Fresno St and SDSU and can't find a network interested in broadcasting their games. ACC is just going to sit on their hands and watch the house burn down around them because they're the Pac 12 of the east coast when push comes to shove. In the short term I think this goes to a P2 then a middle tier like the Big 12 and then a tier of former power schools dangling by a thread from falling into the abyss hoping to be saved at the last minute by the P2.
As a ten plus years veteran of Conference realignment . I can tell you conventional wisdom was the
reason the ACC passed on us was are inability to go to another conference. We were always available if needed . However In an era where coast to coast conferences are a reality and formerly regional one like the B12 moved eastward with Cincinnati and UCF and eyeing the unplanted ground of the Northeast . (Heck even the Pac 12 added a different time zone in SMU ), that objection is removed .
The folks in the ACC have to be getting sweaty hands. Even though some teams that think they’re P2 material there is no guarantee and the G.O. R. keeps them together until 2035.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah, joining the top basketball league of the last many years would weaken basketball. I don't see it. Our fans had problems with the American, but Kansas and Oklahoma State are not Wichita State and Tulsa. West Virginia, Cinci and Houston we know. It would be epic for football and baseball. It would even help basketball.

Reaction Score
Didn’t the Big 12 just sign a TV deal at like $31M per team sans OU and TX? How are they suffering greatly with TV revenue?
They will make close to $50,000,000 per team annually. They also take the lion share of football playoff money.
That will be 1/2 the BB tournament revenue but 90% is kept by the P5
No sharing with anyone not FSB .
Basketball revenue is cut into many pieces.

Reaction Score
Long term, is the Big 12 more stable than the acc?
I think so, because they now are better in football (and basketball) than the ACC, the Big12 can expand east or west if/when it wants or needs to, it can bring its tv contract back to market before the ACC, and doesn't risk losing its biggest brands anytime soon. The schools also seem to be more aligned than the scatter plot schools in the ACC (i.e. some flagship state schools and some small private schools). And they seem to have more progressive leadership.

Reaction Score
Yeah, joining the top basketball league of the last many years would weaken basketball. I don't see it. Our fans had problems with the American, but Kansas and Oklahoma State are not Wichita State and Tulsa. West Virginia, Cinci and Houston we know. It would be epic for football and baseball. It would even help basketball.
I don't see how it would help us in basketball, Big East is the perfect place for UConn basketball. If it ever came to that it would be all about money.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

It would not help basketball. It would significantly affect our recruiting footprint. The kids we're bringing in, for the most part, want to play in the Big East. The Big 12 is a great league, there's no question, but we're not a cultural fit like we are here in the Big East. The level of competition would probably remain the same if not improve, that's for sure, but that's not the only consideration.

The Big 12 has already had its two best programs jump ship. Doesn't that concern you about their long-term viability?

Lastly, every single team that has left the Big East over the last decade plus has had their basketball program fall off significantly. The ACC was supposed to be the best basketball conference in history when Pitt, Syracuse, and Louisville went there; all three of those programs has had a major decline.

Reaction Score
It would not help basketball. It would significantly affect our recruiting footprint. The kids we're bringing in, for the most part, want to play in the Big East. The Big 12 is a great league, there's no question, but we're not a cultural fit like we are here in the Big East. The level of competition would probably remain the same if not improve, that's for sure, but that's not the only consideration.

The Big 12 has already had its two best programs jump ship. Doesn't that concern you about their long-term viability?

Lastly, every single team that has left the Big East over the last decade plus has had their basketball program fall off significantly. The ACC was supposed to be the best basketball conference in history when Pitt, Syracuse, and Louisville went there; all three of those programs has had a major decline.
Nicely said

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24