Big 10 basketball 2022, Part II | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Big 10 basketball 2022, Part II

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If you were betting on the B1G men to perform in the tournament.... I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn!

I usually don't count on them to do anything ... I've only picked a Big 10 team to win the whole thing twice in 40 years... Illinois in 2005 and 2021. I needed Purdue to take out UNC for me... but alas.. they wont get that chance.

Reaction Score
So what's the Big Ten pecking order next year?

-Iowa brings back everyone and adds a couple of solid recruits but remains a big ? on defense.
-Ohio State brings back Sheldon, Mikulasikova and maybe Mikesell but loses Miller and Beacham. Madison Green should be back from her knee injury. Top 25 recruit coming in, too.
-Maryland loses Benzan and Bibby but has Miller, Reese and Owusu back, plus new transfer Lavender Briggs and two solid recruits.
-Indiana brings back Berger and Holmes, but loses Patberg and Cardano-Hillary and apparently Gulbe.
-Michigan loses Hillmon, Kiser, Rauch and Dilk (they were all honored at senior day). Brown will be back, and Phelia was good in Year 1. Two solid recruits, too.
-Nebraska brings back Shelley, Markowski, Bourne and maybe Haiby. Don't know what Scoggin's status is.

Those are just the NCAA tournament teams.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

-Iowa brings back everyone and adds a couple of solid recruits but remains a big ? on defense.
-Ohio State brings back Sheldon, Mikulasikova and maybe Mikesell but loses Miller and Beacham. Madison Green should be back from her knee injury. Top 25 recruit coming in, too.
-Maryland loses Benzan and Bibby but has Miller, Reese and Owusu back, plus new transfer Lavender Briggs and two solid recruits.
-Indiana brings back Berger and Holmes, but loses Patberg and Cardano-Hillary and apparently Gulbe.
-Michigan loses Hillmon, Kiser, Rauch and Dilk (they were all honored at senior day). Brown will be back, and Phelia was good in Year 1. Two solid recruits, too.
-Nebraska brings back Shelley, Markowski, Bourne and maybe Haiby. Don't know what Scoggin's status is.

How many years has Mikesell played? Seems like she has already played five years.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

I think Maryland returns to the top of the Big 10 if everyone is healthy. Miller/Reese/Owusu is a heck of a 3 headed monster when all are healthy. Add in Briggs and they have by far the most athletic team in the conference. Plus Sellers is a good athlete and Collins is a capable stretch 4. Maryland definitely has Final Four potential, whether it pans out for them is another story.

Iowa's defense isn't bad, but they need more help for Clark/Czinano. The problem is they basically live and die by Caitlin Clark. If she's playing well, they win. If she isn't shooting well, it's a lot harder to win. I think they're #2 in line but don't have the firepower to match Maryland. I think this team has Final Four potential but realistically is a Sweet 16/Elite 8 type of squad. Marshall/Martin are solid but they need to make a bigger impact.

Indiana should be good if healthy. Same with Michigan/Ohio State. Michigan loses a lot but Brown is excellent and Phelia will thrive in a larger role. I think the top 5 stay the same, but Maryland is the clear #1, Iowa likely #2, and #3-5 could be any of those 3. Nebraska has potential to move into that realm with Shelley/Markowski back. I don't see anyone else making the NCAAs though. Michigan State/Northwestern lose their best player. Purdue could make some noise but I don't think they will.

Reaction Score

Michigan next season is a question mark for me. Yes they have Brown and Phelia, but the balance of the roster has me perplexed.

Players like Williams and Stuck will need to be ready. They played here and there but nothing of real impact. Varajeo could be a huge help in the post. Hopefully with travel restrictions eased, being able to participate in off-season training will help.

Outside of Phelia, I don't like the guard situation. Sidor is a role player and her minutes decreased this year. Wiggins hopefully will develop.

I didn't see enough of Hobbe and Sollom this year. Not sure how they'll fit next season.

Reaction Score
Nebraska should be in the top 3 in the Big Ten next year. All of their starters return except for maybe Scoggins, but they also pick up exactly what they need in 6’6” Maggie Mendelson. So, it’s possible they will have both a good inside and outside game. Their roster is very young.

Reaction Score
I think Maryland returns to the top of the Big 10 if everyone is healthy. Miller/Reese/Owusu is a heck of a 3 headed monster when all are healthy. Add in Briggs and they have by far the most athletic team in the conference. Plus Sellers is a good athlete and Collins is a capable stretch 4. Maryland definitely has Final Four potential, whether it pans out for them is another story.

Iowa's defense isn't bad, but they need more help for Clark/Czinano. The problem is they basically live and die by Caitlin Clark. If she's playing well, they win. If she isn't shooting well, it's a lot harder to win. I think they're #2 in line but don't have the firepower to match Maryland. I think this team has Final Four potential but realistically is a Sweet 16/Elite 8 type of squad. Marshall/Martin are solid but they need to make a bigger impact.

Indiana should be good if healthy. Same with Michigan/Ohio State. Michigan loses a lot but Brown is excellent and Phelia will thrive in a larger role. I think the top 5 stay the same, but Maryland is the clear #1, Iowa likely #2, and #3-5 could be any of those 3. Nebraska has potential to move into that realm with Shelley/Markowski back. I don't see anyone else making the NCAAs though. Michigan State/Northwestern lose their best player. Purdue could make some noise but I don't think they will.
Taking no credit away from Iowa as the dual regular season and tournament champs, but the scheduling panned out fortuitously in that they only had to go through Maryland once. Maryland had its issues this year but beat Iowa in their sole matchup and is perhaps the only team in the conference that can replicate the Hawkeyes’ style of play.

Reaction Score
Congrats to all of the Big Ten ladies that were drafted yesterday in the 2022 WNBA Draft.

Veronica Burton (Northwestern)/Dallas Wings

Nia Clouden (Michigan State)/Connecticut Sun

Naz Hillmon (Michigan)/Atlanta Dream

Ali Patberg (Indiana)/Indiana Fever

Reaction Score
Indiana is going to be a force in the Big Ten, if the recent additions (Alyssa Geary, Sydney Parrish, and Sara Scalia) to their program works out.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Congrats to all of the Big Ten ladies that were drafted yesterday in the 2022 WNBA Draft.

Veronica Burton (Northwestern)/Dallas Wings

Nia Clouden (Michigan State)/Connecticut Sun

Naz Hillmon (Michigan)/Atlanta Dream

Ali Patberg (Indiana)/Indiana Fever
proud member of the Veronica Burton fan club. She deserved to be an All American (even though some felt Northwestern didn’t have a good enough season) and I said she should be a first round draft pick! I’m so happy for her. She is a great player to watch.

Reaction Score
proud member of the Veronica Burton fan club. She deserved to be an All American (even though some felt Northwestern didn’t have a good enough season) and I said she should be a first round draft pick! I’m so happy for her. She is a great player to watch.
Great fan club. Veronica has been a joy to watch over the years.

Reaction Score

This is unfortunate. She's part of Minnesota's best recruiting class since Coach Whelan took over the program.
Definitely sad news. Wishing Holloway all the best. Great kid here in Minnesota. Just an all-around high character person and major talent.

Reaction Score

I got my money on Indiana being number one. Sorry, Minnesota and Michigan (Two Big Ten teams that I follow). I just like what Coach Moren has done at Indiana. Plus, they have gained a few nice additions (on paper) to their roster. Indiana could lead the pack in the Big Ten. Iowa is dangerous as well. They could finish in that second spot or lead the pack as well. Same with Maryland. Michigan is the mystery team for me. Like you said, Michigan lost quite a lot, especially with the loss of Hillmon. Hillmon was like 90% of the offense last year for Michigan. So many questions with the current roster and coaching mindset. Will coach have the offense flow through Brown or some other idea. Michigan is that mystery team for me. Same with Nebraska & Ohio State. Those two could be really good or being in that running for 4th or 5th place in the Big Ten. I just can't wait until the season!!

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Some games stand out to me. These should be some very exciting matchups.

NC St vs Iowa
Ohio St vs Louisville
North Carolina vs Indiana
Maryland vs ND
Definitely. Some very exciting matchups.

Reaction Score
The Big 10 will end their relationship with ESPN in 2023. They are expected to sign a billion dollar deal with FOX, CBS and NBC.

Reaction Score
The Big 10 will end their relationship with ESPN in 2023. They are expected to sign a billion dollar deal with FOX, CBS and NBC.

A billion-dollar deal!?
shocked surprise GIF

That is wild! Team payouts per year are going to be crazy.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom