OT: - Betting - Kinda Unfair | The Boneyard

OT: Betting - Kinda Unfair

Reaction Score
So I had Nicholls St in a 7 game $15 parlay that would’ve paid about $1,400. See bottom one in pic. UAB pushed and the payout went down to $750. Then Nicholls St was rescheduled to the next day. They covered the next day but the game was already voided because it didn’t start same day, so my payout was only $350. I’ve had single game bets voided before when they were postponed and its no big deal because you just replace your bet. With the parlay, that wasn’t an option. Pretty messed up that it cost me $350. If it was one of those mega bet parlays crazy people do, I would be irate.

1704904496742.png

Reaction Score
It did not cost you $350.

Take the winnings plus your $15 bet and put it all on another game. If that hits it’s essentially the same as adding a leg to the parlay.
I placed a bet on 7 games. I won 6 and pushed 1. I only got paid 1/2 of what the odds portrayed when I placed the best.

The game being postponed cost me $350 of earned winnings.

But yes, I could've put $350 on Nicholls. The thought didn't cross my mind and I thought I could argue my case.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I placed a bet on 7 games. I won 6 and pushed 1. I only got paid 1/2 of what the odds portrayed when I placed the best.

The game being postponed cost me $350 of earned winnings.

But yes, I could've put $350 on Nicholls. The thought didn't cross my mind and I thought I could argue my case.
If Nicholls State had lost you'd be thanking your lucky stars that the game was postponed and you got your $350 instead of 0.

There was no change in your equity based on the game being postponed and that leg being voided.

Reaction Score
If Nicholls State had lost you'd be thanking your lucky stars that the game was postponed and you got your $350 instead of 0.

There was no change in your equity based on the game being postponed and that leg being voided.
Nicholls St was up big at one point and then won by 5. If the parlay was still open I could've in-game hedged +10.5 $100 and hit the inside gap for mo' money.

Reaction Score
Nicholls St was up big at one point and then won by 5. If the parlay was still open I could've in-game hedged +10.5 $100 and hit the inside gap for mo' money.
Truthfully, I probably would've pre-game hedged SE LA and won the parlay but shaved off $100. But if the game was played when it was supposed to be, I wouldn't have had that scenario feasible and just won the parlay with in-game hedges.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Fairness and legal sports betting shouldn't be uttered in the same sentence. They do anything to not pay out, if you show that you know what you're doing even a little bit you are immediately limited. Sorry this happened to you but it's a bit of expected behavior with the big name sports books.

Reaction Score
Fairness and legal sports betting shouldn't be uttered in the same sentence. They do anything to not pay out, if you show that you know what you're doing even a little bit you are immediately limited. Sorry this happened to you but it's a bit of expected behavior with the big name sports books.
If it was $500 plus, I'd probably be more upset. $350 is a little more palatable . As pointed out above, I had an out, although I'd never put $350 down on a single game bet on Nicholls St. I figured it was in their fine print, was more hoping they'd toss me a bone like a $50 credit or something. But that ain't happening.

Reaction Score
In the old days when you saw your bookie 3 days later, would they pay?

Reaction Score
I love betting parlays with staggered start times. That way if I'm in the money with one game to go you can hedge / put extra action on the last game with house money.

Reaction Score
I love betting parlays with staggered start times. That way if I'm in the money with one game to go you can hedge / put extra action on the last game with house money.
Exactly. And if you're losing the early games you can go into emergency mode and setup new parlays or even in-game parlays. with better lines.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The terms of the bet changed. Voiding it is the fair thing to do.

Reaction Score
Not to the bettor, lol.

I usually only do 7 leg parlays as its the sweet spot to me that balances risk vs reward. They changed it to a 6 game just because the tip time moved.

Reaction Score
If UAB hadn't pushed and it went from a 7 leg $1,400 parlay to a 6 leg $700 parlay, I would be livid right now.

Reaction Score
This is the way. Always set up your parlays to have only a single leg live at the end.

The worst thing you can do is hedge (by definition, at -EV) a parlay with multiple legs in progress that ends up losing anyway. If you're going to hedge, do it when you are guaranteed to walk away with a profit.

Reaction Score
Yes, but they also could have gotten run out of the building from the opening tip and you would have gotten nothing.

If you feel like the book was "freerolling" you (i.e. they would have paid out $0 if Nicholls lost, but only half if Nicholls won), then you'd have a complaint. But it sounds like they paid out your 6-leg parlay appropriately and then left it up to you whether to do a single bet on the 7th game, which you then declined. Seems fair.

Reaction Score
Yes, but they also could have gotten run out of the building from the opening tip and you would have gotten nothing.

If you feel like the book was "freerolling" you (i.e. they would have paid out $0 if Nicholls lost, but only half if Nicholls won), then you'd have a complaint. But it sounds like they paid out your 6-leg parlay appropriately and then left it up to you whether to do a single bet on the 7th game, which you then declined. Seems fair.
Seems fair, until you're in that position. I keep asking myself what I would've done if I was given the opportunity to decide. I'm still not sure, but part of the beauty of setting up parlays is so the hand is forced for you. Instead of making it black or white, you have the opportunity to hedge at a 1/4 of the payout. That's more fair to me.

I get why they don't want to give the opportunity for it to be a stand alone game. Regardless of the psychology behind it, at the end of the day, I won the bet and didn't receive reward for it. There is not total fairness in that as you suggest. If I wanted to do high value single game bets ($350 on Nicholls) instead of parlays, I would.

In conclusion, I'm not even sure how their policy should be set. Giving the decision, honoring the parlay or just voiding. But just voiding is certainly not 100% fair.

Reaction Score
Sir, a 7 leg parlay IS what crazy people do.

And the terms of bets always say the game must be played at the listed start time otherwise it is voided. This is standard sports betting knowledge. I think the only sport this does not apply to is baseball which has rain delays.

Reaction Score
Sir, a 7 leg parlay IS what crazy people do.

And the terms of bets always say the game must be played at the listed start time otherwise it is voided. This is standard sports betting knowledge. I think the only sport this does not apply to is baseball which has rain delays.
7 game parlays are like coke, once you hit once, you can't stop. 8 game parlays are like heroin, stay away from them, as nothing good comes from them.

Look above, I almost hit two in a row. Norfolk St lost by 2. One night I hit 3. I only bet college basketball, don't follow other sports as much. Don't bet what I don't know.

Reaction Score
7 game parlays are like coke, once you hit once, you can't stop. 8 game parlays are like heroin, stay away from them, as nothing good comes from them.

Look above, I almost hit two in a row. Norfolk St lost by 2. One night I hit 3. I only bet college basketball, don't follow other sports as much. Don't bet what I don't know.
Don’t bet on what I don’t know?

The real answer is never bet on anything that can talk.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nah. That would give him his money back if lost the first game and nobody is going to do that. There was nothing unfair about what happened; it's just a "dems the breaks" situation.

Reaction Score
Don’t bet on what I don’t know?

The real answer is never bet on anything that can talk.
I was once considering investing in a restaurant. Spoke to my neighbor who was a SVp at a big bank. He said he advises his clients to never invest in anything that spoils.

Was the right move….the place went belly up

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom