Bettencourt and Portugal U20 Team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bettencourt and Portugal U20 Team

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Remember this thread is about Ines and the Portuguese U 20 Women's national Basketball team at the
FIBA U 20 European Championship. There is no USA U 20 team in this 16-team tournament in
Lithuania! Of some interest... Juste Joycte is listed on the Lithuania U 20 National Team after
competing on the Lithuania U 19 team that competed in Madrid Spain. If she does compete, Juste
will have participated in two 8-day fiba tournaments in just over 3 weeks!! THAT IS A LOT OF
BASKETBALL FOR ANYONE, no matter how young and athletic you might be???!!!
USA and Allie Ziebell won gold, ... of course... in that tournament beating Spain
69 - 66 in front of 10,000++ Spanish fans. GO INES! GO HUSKY!!
What has this to do with the post you tagged as a reply?

Reaction Score
Wow! She looks seriously strong! I’m anxious to see how she plays in this tournamen.

Reaction Score
Remember this thread is about Ines and the Portuguese U 20 Women's national Basketball team at the
FIBA U 20 European Championship. There is no USA U 20 team in this 16-team tournament in
Lithuania! Of some interest... Juste Joycte is listed on the Lithuania U 20 National Team after
competing on the Lithuania U 19 team that competed in Madrid Spain. If she does compete, Juste
will have participated in two 8-day fiba tournaments in just over 3 weeks!! THAT IS A LOT OF
BASKETBALL FOR ANYONE, no matter how young and athletic you might be???!!!
USA and Allie Ziebell won gold, ... of course... in that tournament beating Spain
69 - 66 in front of 10,000++ Spanish fans. GO INES! GO HUSKY!!
No Jocyte on the final roster for Lithuania. She got injured in her U19 quarterfinal game.

Portugal did play Lithuania in an exhibition on Wednesday. Neither team released full stats, but it looks like Ines did not reach double digit scoring.

This will be a tough tournament for Portugal. Obviously they want to finish as high as possible, but the first goal will be to avoid the bottom quadrant and to secure a spot in this tournament for next year.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Ines made the team because what she learned from practicing and playing at UConn last year. I believe that Ines wouldn't have made the team if she had gone to the school in Florida where she was originally going to play basketball. I hope that she has a good showing in the tournament.

Reaction Score
Half Time Portugal 42 Czech Rep 30 INES with 5 points ( one three pointer) in 9:34 seconds. Some nice passes
and a good steal. Portugal appears to have many ball handlers, and they ( so far ) are quicker, using a full court
press to advantage, and forcing bad passes and getting the steals. Watch INES nice steal and save at 8:10 of the
second quarter! But... it's a long way to go..... I see Portugal winning on overall fitness, speed, and a well
balance team effort!

Reaction Score
End of third quarter: Portugal 62 Czech Rep 51 Ines with a great third quarter: 8 points in the quarter for a total of 13 points,
second leading scorer. Portugal with multiple level scoring but with more quickness and drives to the basket ...with
Portugal scoring or are fouled. So: INES: 13 points on 6 for 12 shooting %) in 16 minutes 5 seconds of playing time.
Our girl looks " smooth". A nice long two pointer on a transitional play. She needed to step back on two scores and
she would have had three pointers. Go INES!! Remember tomorrow is again at 6 AM.

Reaction Score
NEXT UP is Israel who was 73 - 70 loser in their first game. Israel is somewhat shorter than
Portugal. Israel has one player playing in the western hemisphere. Rinot (sp) from the
U of Toronto, Canada. Portugal FG % 44.6 Israel 35 %; Portugal 80% on F.T to 66% for
Israel. Big scorer for Israel: Karsh with 20 points (5'8"). Israel had more steals than
Portugal 15 to 12. So there appears to be quickness on both teams. I 'll give
the edge to Portugal: more USA/Canadian collegiate players, some height advantage
and, of course: INES!! Ines was the second leading scorer for Portugal, 15 points, with
Ms. Barreto #10, from Ball State, leading with 23 points. Barreto plays with
Nika Muhl's sister, Hana, at Ball State. GO HUSKY!! The game is scheduled for
8:30 AM Sunday Morning.

Reaction Score
NEXT UP is Israel who was 73 - 70 loser in their first game. Israel is somewhat shorter than
Portugal. Israel has one player playing in the western hemisphere. Rinot (sp) from the
U of Toronto, Canada. Portugal FG % 44.6 Israel 35 %; Portugal 80% on F.T to 66% for
Israel. Big scorer for Israel: Karsh with 20 points (5'8"). Israel had more steals than
Portugal 15 to 12. So there appears to be quickness on both teams. I 'll give
the edge to Portugal: more USA/Canadian collegiate players, some height advantage
and, of course: INES!! Ines was the second leading scorer for Portugal, 15 points, with
Ms. Barreto #10, from Ball State, leading with 23 points. Barreto plays with
Nika Muhl's sister, Hana, at Ball State. GO HUSKY!! The game is scheduled for
8:30 AM Sunday Morning.
Correction: Apparently the Game vs Israel is at 6:00 AM Sunday morning, sorry!
for those interested, here are the point totals for the USA collegiate players =
UCONN (INES # 8) 15 points, Ball State 23 points (# 10), La Salle 8 points (# 33), and U of Utah (#4) 6 points.
52 points out of a total of 83.

Reaction Score
I know UCONN is loaded in the front court but with her added strength and a year in the program, I find it hard to believe that she can't provide valuable minutes off the bench.
Me, too. I'll be very surprised if she doesn't get ~10 mins/g. Especially if Geno decides to run a pressing-transition game.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I commented in a thread that was touting the incoming freshmen and the impact that they will have. I posted that I hope people don't overlook Inês because she deserves a chance to make an impact (paraphrasing). I stand by that post.

Reaction Score
I commented in a thread that was touting the incoming freshmen and the impact that they will have. I posted that I hope people don't overlook Inês because she deserves a chance to make an impact (paraphrasing). I stand by that post.
I agree, and would amend this statement to say I expect she'll earn a chance to make an impact. From what I've seen in FIBA, she looks like a woman on a mission.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So I just got around to watching the Portugal vs Czech Republic game and several things stood out about Ines development:
  • Her handle has improved significantly. Last year at UConn she was right hand dominant with her dribble. In the Czech game she was clearly comfortable using both hands, attacks off the crossover and easily goes behind her back.
  • Perhaps it was the competition, but Ines showed no reluctance to pull the trigger with her shot, which included a quick release and accurate shooting stroke.
  • Her passing decisions are quicker and more decisive.
On defense, I would like to see a little more on-ball pressure, but otherwise, Ines demonstrated good court awareness. Clearly, she intends to compete for PT this year at UConn despite the fact that the Huskies are loaded in the backcourt. That’s exactly how it should be.

Reaction Score
Apparently I had it wrong, AGAIN!
Portugal vs Serbia at 6 AM. Serbia's starting lineup for Game 1 was 5' 9", 5' 9", 6'0", 6'1" and 6'0" with 57 REBOUNDS!!!
the stats:
Serbia fg % 37.1 26/70, 2p 41.5 3p 23.5 FT 70.8 Rb 57 A 18 pf 7 to 12 steals 12 blocks 2
Portu fg% 44.6 33/74, 2p 48 3p 37.5 FT 80 RB 35 A 24 pf 16 TO 13 steals 13 blocks 1

Reaction Score
That was pretty impressive! She is clearly on a mission to become a contributor on this (UConn) team. I think she’s going to get minutes this coming season and before it’s all said and done, will be a regular rotation player! Geno will always find minutes for a strong, hardworking player who does a little of everything. Her shooting, ballhandling, and poise was great to see.

Reaction Score
First QUARTER SCORE Portugal 21 Serbia 15, Two nice assists by INES.
Quite a few fouls.... it could be a factor in the game.

Reaction Score
Half time Portugal 38 Serbia 35 Ines, no points 3 assists
Best Player for Serbia appears to be Andjela Matic # 4 who plays for the U of Vermont.
This game could be won at the free throw line, or someone fouling out. Ines with one foul.
Portugal is not as efficient from 3 point land as they were in game one vs Czech Rep.

Reaction Score
A very, very FORGETABLE third quarter. Serbia outscores Portugal 24 to 6! Score
at the end of the third period 59 - 44. Serbia scoring mostly on layups!
Portugal COLD. Ines COLD. Not very pretty. Portugal with time clock violations,
poor passing, and even some air balls. OUCH!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom