best women's player in college basketball | Page 3 | The Boneyard

best women's player in college basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not even close. BRITTNEY GRINER hands down. Does EDD play the competition that Griner playes no.!!!!!!!!!!!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Not even close. BRITTNEY GRINER hands down. Does EDD play the competition that Griner playes no.!!!!!!!!!!!
That makes it harder to evaluate but does not mean the Griner is automatically the better player. Britney has much more to develop in her game than does EDD. Being the better player is not dependent on ones competition.

Reaction Score
That makes it harder to evaluate but does not mean the Griner is automatically the better player. Britney has much more to develop in her game than does EDD. Being the better player is not dependent on ones competition.
+1

Reaction Score
it's early in the season, but who is the best player?

I would say it depends on what you mean "best player". The player in WCBB this year who will be the most dominant over her career, college, WNBA, and otherwise? Or the player that is the most effective, dangerous player in WCBB this year specifically?

If the first, then it is Griner. her combination of physical gifts, and her obvious process of maturation both as a player and a person mark her as a big part of the future of wbb as a sport. But just this year, in American WCBB? It's Nneka, she's having a monster year in all phases of the game in a year when her team needs her to have a monster year.

Reaction Score
it's early in the season, but who is the best player?
Ask the experts(Geno, etc.); look at the voting for last year's Player of the Year. Look at the voting for POY at the end of this season.
Finally, at collegiate career's end, look at the order of who is drafted.

Reaction Score

In which Edd has always played against much weaker competition every single season than what a MM, BG, SD and SD, etc etc did and do she can not begin to be considered best compared to those that play against higher quality competition and excel, Edd has not proved herself against the best at any time in her College career to date, can't be argued otherwise and be taken seriously. And yes who one plays against makes all the difference it is silly to say otherwise. Face it if Uconn, UT or any other truly upper end team played Delaware's schedule they would always be undefeated and their best players would blow the roof off of scoring and rebounding records every season. EDD is currently a big fish with potential in a small pond.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Good discussion. We have a 3-way tie. :)

I think Griner is the biggest factor in WCBB. EDD may be the most skilled. And Nneka has some of both.

In addition to Griner's defensive prowess, she is a good FT shooter. Nneka has become a very good FT shooter. EDD is a superlative FT shooter. I like that all three do well in this important part of the game.

But look out for KML in another 20 games. :) Next year, Bree displays skills not seen before. She and Kaleena will be the newer version of Tina and Maya. (Ok, just call me Tony.)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Or Bill Russell.
Nobody was better than Russ.

The OP asked who is the best wcbb player.

Subsequently the question was posed to the effect that if you were starting a new team what player would be your first selected player.

Answer to best right now, Griner.

Answer to first draft pick, Kaleena.

Reaction Score
Nobody was better than Russ.

The OP asked who is the best wcbb player.

Subsequently the question was posed to the effect that if you were starting a new team what player would be your first selected player.

Answer to best right now, Griner.

Answer to first draft pick, Kaleena.
since you brought it up, the guy who almost averaged a triple-double for his first 5 seasons in the nba was better than russel.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
since you brought it up, the guy who almost averaged a triple-double for his first 5 seasons in the nba was better than russel.
On the other hand Russell was the superlative winner. O was great but Bill simply w as a winner.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
I'm also with Elena, mediocre team, mediocre coaching and she's carried them into and tonight confirmed a top 25 ranking

.... what a schedule... what a team... id love to see her play ND, Baylor, UCONN, Tenn, Duke, TAMU, Miami .... it would be a much better barometer.... or measuring stick.

Griner has played or will play ND, UCONN, TENN, and TAMU

Nneka has played UCONN...Texas, ...

who has really showed up and made their teams win? Griner is my pick hands down.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
I would think the player who would be thought of as best would also play against the best, so in my view it would currently be B Griner, other quality players would follow. EDD plays against 3rd and 4th rate competition. It would be like me beating up my eight year old nephew and being considered better. Until EDD plays against the best she can not be considered the best.

competition really has allot to do with it, and I'm sure the media and coaches recognize that... as does the US Senior National Team Committee... hence Griner is on the team for a reason y'all.

true phenom.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
That three-time Wade Award winner was also the BEast POY as a freshman. That's one accomplishment KML will probably not equal. Now granted, winning that award is easier or more difficult depending on the year, but still...

With respect to Griner, she's the only collegiate player in line for a spot on the Olympic team. I'm convinced she would have made mince meat of everyone Delaware has played, including Penn State, whereas I'm not convinced EDD could have put up the numbers Griner has against Tennessee and Baylor. Another way to think about it: if you could trade players in WCBB, imagine Baylor called UD offering a trade straight up, Giner for EDD or vice versa. I think UD would at least think about it, whereas Kim wouldn't consider it for a milisecond.

Thankfully, this is something that we'll get to see play out in a tournament setting, if not head-to-head, at least getting to see EDD against comparable competition.

You are right on, i talk to my sports buddies and the skill's and athletic ability of Griner is just out of the men's game, especially the defensive end of the floor. SHE CHANGES THE GAME, ask any coach we play and they always say that.

She's a game changer.

EDD, not so much on the defensive end... Nneka.... not so much on the defensive end....

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
In which Edd has always played against much weaker competition every single season than what a MM, BG, SD and SD, etc etc did and do she can not begin to be considered best compared to those that play against higher quality competition and excel, Edd has not proved herself against the best at any time in her College career to date, can't be argued otherwise and be taken seriously. And yes who one plays against makes all the difference it is silly to say otherwise. Face it if Uconn, UT or any other truly upper end team played Delaware's schedule they would always be undefeated and their best players would blow the roof off of scoring and rebounding records every season. EDD is currently a big fish with potential in a small pond.
It makes a difference depending on what you are evaluating. Straight up as far as who is the best ball player in WCBB this year, not necessarily, POY, yes. Remember that EDD was, also, praised by many as the best player on the WUG team this summer.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
The Sagarin SOS ranking is based on games played to date and, more importantly, is based on Sagarin's ranking of teams. Sagarin's current top 25 includes these Delaware opponents: Saint Bonaventure, Princeton and Villanova. Delaware won't be at the top of the Sagarin ranking at the end of the season.

http://www.rpiratings.com/womrate.php
shows baylor as 1 UCONN as 2 and Delaware as 3....

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score

ofcourse i mean play against competition that is good.... not just play on a good team like WUG USA team this past summer, where she was a heavy favorite in minutes played.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
Nneka is the most athletic and has more weapons than Griner.
on the defensive end? no team really has to plan for Nneka as much as a team has to prepare for running any inside game vs a Griner and Baylor...

come on.

Reaction Score
It makes a difference depending on what you are evaluating. Straight up as far as who is the best ball player in WCBB this year, not necessarily, POY, yes. Remember that EDD was, also, praised by many as the best player on the WUG team this summer.

The best player who plays against cup cake teams maybe, but certainly not the best player in the overall of WCBB, you are evaluating a player that goes against really bad defenses every single season she has played vs a player or players who play against the best defenses wcbb has to offer. Edd has "potential" but has yet to test herself against the best of Wcbb, and likely never will.

Reaction Score
On the other hand Russell was the superlative winner. O was great but Bill simply w as a winner.

how about that supporting cast that russel had? plus, a very shrewd coach.

Reaction Score
ofcourse i mean play against competition that is good.... not just play on a good team like WUG USA team this past summer, where she was a heavy favorite in minutes played.
Why did she play so many minutes versus other players? Because the coach wanted to win, so he played the best.

Reaction Score
EDD, but by the end of the year KML will get a lot of votes.

Reaction Score
.... what a schedule... what a team... id love to see her play ND, Baylor, UCONN, Tenn, Duke, TAMU, Miami .... it would be a much better barometer.... or measuring stick.

Griner has played or will play ND, UCONN, TENN, and TAMU

Nneka has played UCONN...Texas, ...

who has really showed up and made their teams win? Griner is my pick hands down.

and Tenn on Dec. 20th. They are both great players, who will no doubt be on the USA teams down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom