best women's player in college basketball | Page 2 | The Boneyard

best women's player in college basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Actually, Sagarin rates Delaware as the #1 toughest schedule in the country.

The Sagarin SOS ranking is based on games played to date and, more importantly, is based on Sagarin's ranking of teams. Sagarin's current top 25 includes these Delaware opponents: Saint Bonaventure, Princeton and Villanova. Delaware won't be at the top of the Sagarin ranking at the end of the season.

http://www.rpiratings.com/womrate.php

Reaction Score
I would think the player who would be thought of as best would also play against the best, so in my view it would currently be B Griner, other quality players would follow. EDD plays against 3rd and 4th rate competition. It would be like me beating up my eight year old nephew and being considered better. Until EDD plays against the best she can not be considered the best.[/quote
In the FIBA World Championship EDD played with some of the best WBB players such Nneka, Skylar, Peters, Chiney, Sims, Glory, Shekinna, and Novosel. In the cumulative stats EDD was 1st in total points, 2nd in blocks, 2nd in assists, 1st in rebounds, 1st in 3pt %.

Reaction Score
The Sagarin SOS ranking is based on games played to date and, more importantly, is based on Sagarin's ranking of teams. Sagarin's current top 25 includes these Delaware opponents: Saint Bonaventure, Princeton and Villanova. Delaware won't be at the top of the Sagarin ranking at the end of the season.

http://www.rpiratings.com/womrate.php
Of course they won't. But to suggest that Delaware has only played third or fourth rate competition is absurd. Their competition has been plenty good enough to make comparisons between EDD and Griner.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Of course they won't. But to suggest that Delaware has only played third or fourth rate competition is absurd. Their competition has been plenty good enough to make comparisons between EDD and Griner.
ND and Tennessee are light years ahead of anyone EDD has played.

Reaction Score

There is a difference in playing with the best and playing against the best, not going to play tit for tat as I know you understand my points. I never insinuated she was short on talent, just that Delaware plays against 2nd, 3rd and 4th level talent every season.

Reaction Score
Nneka is the most athletic and has more weapons than Griner.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Griner needs help to look good... EDD doesn't, as we can see she can make her teammates look better. She has had handle which allows her to create on her own.

BG's only advantage over EDD is blocking shots

desire and coaching plays a major role also

I'll take EDD

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
EDD also is the sole focus of many teams she plays since much of the support players on the team are only OK. Giving her free reign can result in 40 points as against PSU.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
EDD also is the sole focus of many teams she plays since much of the support players on the team are only OK. Giving her free reign can result in 40 points as against PSU.
she scored 40 and the Blue Hens as a team had 80... against PSU. Those support players did a solid job.

EDD had one assist (ist play of the games) so she's wasnt getting her team involved but she did have a nice number of blocks & steals. She also had ZERO 3ptrs

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
EDD might be the best college player, but for the WNBA I'd take Griner and Nnemkadi Oguwmike over EDD.

IMHO the quick athletic pros that are similar in size to EDD will be able limit her effectiveness. They will deny her the ball and use their additional strength to out muscle her. In college she plays similar to Lauren Jackson and IMHO I don't think she will be able to do it in the pros.

Reaction Score
she scored 40 and the Blue Hens as a team had 80... against PSU. Those support players did a solid job.

EDD had one assist (ist play of the games) so she's wasnt getting her team involved but she did have a nice number of blocks & steals. She also had ZERO 3ptrs

PSU ? every team that is concidered good can beat PSU. Delaware nor EDD play against the best in WCBB, sure she has a load of talent no one argues that, but she is a big fish in a small pond at this point. What would EDD and her teams output look like against MM,TC,RM, TH, KF, etc etc. You have to be comparing apple to apples when a discussion like this occurs, much of this discussion certainly is not apples to apples as it were.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

1. The question was based on performance in college basketball this year. The world championships have nothing to do with it.

2. She played with, not against the best players. Big difference.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

Remember that it is relative with PSU. They really don't guard anyone.

Reaction Score
Nneka is the most athletic and has more weapons than Griner.

Offensively yes.
But no one changes the game defensively the way Griner does. By a mile.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
In college she plays similar to Lauren Jackson and IMHO I don't think she will be able to do it in the pros.

EDD does not play like Lauren Jackson. Yes, Lauren spends time on the perimeter because her 3-pt shot is very good and she's able to draw post defenders away from the basket. Lauren might have spent a little more time on the perimeter last year to avoid contact with her repaired and very painful hip. (Jackson tore her labrum which is incredibly painful.) But Lauren Jackson has played plenty of minutes in her career as a back to the basket center and has played physically in the post with the best of them. She's tough as nails and not only takes contact, but she dishes it out. If Elena played like Lauren Jackson -- and she doesn't -- I'd consider her the best player in college basketball.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Remember that it is relative with PSU. They really don't guard anyone.
come on Ice give the kid some credit...
Geno wanted (along with everyone here) her BAD!

and dont act like PSU is trash, you're one of their biggest cheerleaders (or was).

that Lucas kid isnt chopped liver (did she play in the Delaware game?)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
EDD does not play like Lauren Jackson. Yes, Lauren spends time on the perimeter because her 3-pt shot is very good and she's able to draw post defenders away from the basket. Lauren might have spent a little more time on the perimeter last year to avoid contact with her repaired and very painful hip. (Jackson tore her labrum which is incredibly painful.) But Lauren Jackson has played plenty of minutes in her career as a back to the basket center and has played physically in the post with the best of them. She's tough as nails and not only takes contact, but she dishes it out. If Elena played like Lauren Jackson -- and she doesn't -- I'd consider her the best player in college basketball.
was Lauren playing like that at 20-21, just asking (I know she didnt attend college so Im wondering what her game was like as a youngster)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
was Lauren playing like that at 20-21, just asking (I know she didnt attend college so Im wondering what her game was like as a youngster)

Lauren was playing professionally in Australia when she was 17 (I think), and played on the Australian National team at 17. At 19 in an Olympic finals loss to the US, she put up 20 and 13. Lauren was 20 when she first joined the WNBA.

I understand the comparisons of size and skill level. Maybe Elena is a little more skilled at a comparable age. I just see a big difference in the physical part of the game that Lauren was exposed to at an early age. Plus, Jackson had to learn to play physically as she spent a lot of time in the post. We really haven't seen that from Elena and won't until she joins the WNBA.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Lauren was playing professionally in Australia when she was 17 (I think), and played on the Australian National team at 17. At 19 in an Olympic finals loss to the US, she put up 20 and 13. Lauren was 20 when she first joined the WNBA.

I understand the comparisons of size and skill level. Maybe Elena is a little more skilled at a comparable age. I just see a big difference in the physical part of the game that Lauren was exposed to at an early age. Plus, Jackson had to learn to play physically as she spent a lot of time in the post. We really haven't seen that from Elena and won't until she joins the WNBA.
I think thats what Geno would have worked on with her... it may not happen at UD.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
UConnCat what you're saying about Lauren's physicality is why I think EDD won't have the same success in the WNBA as she does in college. EDD is able to score both inside and with her outside shooting abilities in college due to how the game is played in college. Also take into consideration the level of competition that she's playing and she's heads and shoulders better then anyone she's playing against. Now if she was at UConn she would probably be a better player then she is today, but not scoring at the same pace as she does at Delaware.

A player that EDD reminds me of is Iciss Tillis of Duke. They're similar in size with a reluctance to play a physical game to take full advantage of their talents. However, I do believe EDD will have a more successful pro career if that is what she wants. EDD is a better shooter and has more skills.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Cat, in the game against PSU all of EDD's 40 points came inside the 3. In fact, she only attempted two threes. She is playing much more this year on the inside both facing up and with her back to the basket.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
come on Ice give the kid some credit...
Geno wanted (along with everyone here) her BAD!

and dont act like PSU is trash, you're one of their biggest cheerleaders (or was).

that Lucas kid isnt chopped liver (did she play in the Delaware game?)
DC, I was one of the first to say EDD is the best player in WCBB.

I did not act like PSU is trash. Fact is, however, and I have seen them play, they do not play much defense at all. Their premise of play presently is similar to UNC. Don't worry about the D just out score them. Their preference is to get the ball back quickly either with a steal or a quick basket and a score. Don't waste the clock. Two teams really slowed down the game against them, USC and Iowa State but that is not their preferred style of play.

Lucas was 4-17 and 3-11 from the 3pt line against Delaware.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Cat, in the game against PSU all of EDD's 40 points came inside the 3. In fact, she only attempted two threes. She is playing much more this year on the inside both facing up and with her back to the basket.

I wasn't talking about EDD's 3s; I was talking about Jackson and the perimeter part of her game. I'm fully aware that EDD's attempted 3s are down from previous years so far; in previous years about 25-30% of her shots were 3s while this year about 12% of her shots have been 3s. She did lead USA basketball in 3-point attempts at the WUG games so it's a big part of her game and I expect her 3 attempts to increase this year.

I watched some of the PSU game and didn't see Elena posting up in the lane. Maybe she did that while I wasn't watching. I saw her spending a lot of time on the perimeter (which can be inside the arc). BTW, I have no problem with Elena shooting from the perimeter or mid-range jumpers as she has a lethal shot. I was commenting on the comparisons to Jackson. I see differences in their style of play. When healthy, Jackson can play inside and out and can play with finesse or play with physical contact. It's the physical play on both ends of the court where I see a big difference between the two. That's not to say Elena won't develop in to a physical player but up to this point she hasn't needed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom