Best Uconn men's BB coach not named Calhoun or Hurley | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Best Uconn men's BB coach not named Calhoun or Hurley

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
J Wilder Tasker is being overlooked here. He had our Aggies cooking for a couple years in the 20s.

Reaction Score
Fred Shabel
Wow, hadn't heard that name in a while. He was a very good coach and who knows what he might have done if he stayed. I believe he came from Duke but I don't hold that against him. The freshmen class that he brought in probably could have beaten the varsity. (Freshman were not eligible then}

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Funny how we as a fan base sometimes use our nattys as a means to discount other programs, then we simultaneously discount a guy who coached VERY well for a few years, won a natty against all odds, then had down years.
Well, two years anyway. I actually the board is pretty universal in acknowledging the great job KO did in his first two years. Acknowledging what happened after that isn't a contradiction of that

Reaction Score
People seem to have trouble admitting it, but KO was tremendous before his marriage fell apart. For the first time in his life, KO was the King. He didn’t have to scrap and claw just to be somebody and it went to his head. He surely now realizes that he needed to scratch and claw as UConn Head Coach too.

For a time, KO the fighter was our coach. During that time he was brilliant, charming and everything you hoped he’d be. He went off the rails and it was over. Still, he is the second best coach in school history, it didn’t have to end this way, but it did. It doesn’t change who he was for a few years.

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Well, two years anyway. I actually the board is pretty universal in acknowledging the great job KO did in his first two years. Acknowledging what happened after that isn't a contradiction of that

Agreed ... except the people that don't ...

A decent amount of that, in this thread, in my opinion. If you're answering other coaches in this question, that to me necessarily doesn't properly acknowledge his first 2 years.

I guess I'm saying, if a guy has a real solid first year, then wins the natty his second year, then has a couple down years and gets fired, he's still definitely the answer to this question.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Agreed ... except the people that don't ...

A decent amount of that, in this thread, in my opinion. If you're answering other coaches in this question, that to me necessarily doesn't properly acknowledge his first 2 years.

I guess I'm saying, if a guy has a real solid first year, then wins the natty his second year, then has a couple down years and gets fired, he's still definitely the answer to this question.
Fair enough. I actually though he was excluded as a choice. I think I still end up with someone else (Greer) because while he got a natty in 2014, he dug a huge whole that we are still digging out of. That's a whole lot of suck.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
FCCEF843-EAF9-4754-8457-D0C8F22EDD0F.jpeg

being a youngin I had to google Fred Shabel and I have to say these uniforms would like awesome and fit right in the NBE. Obviously this picture predates the OBE.

Reaction Score
It occurs to me (actually slams me upside the head) that for me to be recalling the 1950's and a game played in 1954 is equivalent to some old-timer in 1956, when I was 17, recalling the 1890's and a game played in 1890. Forgive me, please. Those of you who are not yet ancient cannot possibly appreciate how fast the years fly.

"Ah, nostalgia! We live our days in the glare of the sun and recall them in the glow of the moon." ~~ Robert Brault
I appreciate what you are saying. I remember in 1962 going with my father to a game at Fordham, Rose Hill. Yale vs. Princeton for I think a play in to the tourney, but I don't recall. Bill Bradley was then a senior at Princeton. His pregame warmup was shooting either close to the basket and gradually moving farther out taking shots, or starting far out and dribbling and taking shots closer in. Rick Kaminsky was the star for Yale and I think the Knicks drafted him. He became a surgeon in Texas where he was from. And maybe is 80 now.

Here is something else from ancient days. Fans did not wave their arms to distract the foul shooter and fans did not shout out obscenities at the referees for a perceived "bad call."

Take heart. Students study ancient history and ancient languages and even teach both. So some people like what came before their time. Even doo wop music, which I love, is having a resurgence with younger European groups like the Crystalairs from Germany and the BrillianTears from I am not sure where.

Others do appreciate what came before them.

Yes, the years fly by. Hopefully we all learn from our mistakes and keep growing.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
View attachment 55342
being a youngin I had to google Fred Shabel and I have to say these uniforms would like awesome and fit right in the NBE. Obviously this picture predates the OBE.

But the UConn colors aren't black and white ... I think those kicks would look very good on Bouknight and Cole, not sure Carlton can pull em off though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom