Best UConn in-game runs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best UConn in-game runs

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Weird, rewatching that Ollie was coaching his balls off.

Funny enough, I stumbled upon @tcf15 videos the other night and noticed that as well. KO was coaching like a man possessed.

Also, thanks to tcf for making me lose about 5 hours of sleep that night. I ended up watching that and transitioned to watching the full 2nd half of the 2011 Louisville BET Final...along with half of the 2nd half of the Michigan State E8 in 2014.

Reaction Score
Didn’t the 1998 Big East Championship vs Cuse have a huge run to close the game?

Reaction Score
As has already been mentioned, my top 3:
1. 12-0 run to go up 79-75 on Duke before they hit a meaningless 3 to end the game.
2. 11-0 run on Florida to get back into the game by the midway point of the first half.
3. Uconn falls behind 34-9 to Umass with 18 minutes left in the game, proceeds to go on a 50-14 run to end the game.

OTHER GAMES
4. Uconn finished the game on a 12-0 run to beat Gtown 75-74 in 1996
5. 19-3 run that helped Uconn to beat Cuse 69-64 in 1998.
6. Uconn had a 15-1 run vs st. johns in 2013 to go up 53-51 but they lost that one, sadly.

I might be confusing this with another game, but I remember that 12-0 run vs Georgetown in 96 being more of stroll than a “run”

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
As has already been mentioned, my top 3:
1. 12-0 run to go up 79-75 on Duke before they hit a meaningless 3 to end the game.
2. 11-0 run on Florida to get back into the game by the midway point of the first half.
3. Uconn falls behind 34-9 to Umass with 18 minutes left in the game, proceeds to go on a 50-14 run to end the game.

OTHER GAMES
4. Uconn finished the game on a 12-0 run to beat Gtown 75-74 in 1996
5. 19-3 run that helped Uconn to beat Cuse 69-64 in 1998.
6. Uconn had a 15-1 run vs st. johns in 2013 to go up 53-51 but they lost that one, sadly.
The 12-0 run in the 1996 BET final is #2 on this list, only behind the comeback vs. Duke in the '04 Final Four.

That was the game that cemented the Big East as OUR conference, and Calhoun as the top coach.

I might be confusing this with another game, but I remember that 12-0 run vs Georgetown in 96 being more of stroll than a “run”
It took place over the final 4:30 (or so) after Knight had fouled out. Kirk was a freaking monster on the offensive glass, and I still think what Ricky did those last five minutes is the single best defensive performance in UConn history.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
UConn's 18-4 start to their game against #1 Kansas in 1997 at the Hartford Civic Center:

I'll never forget this one. That's the loudest I ever heard the HCC/XL (granted I wasn't in attendance at the 1990 Georgetown game).

Reaction Score
My favorite part of the 2004 Duke game was Rashad repeating "Don't worry about it." at the free throw line. Go to 6:56.

My favorite part is at the :03 second mark the Duke girl trying to clap on beat and freaking out when the cheer is screwed up. It sums up everything you ever need to know about Duke in just 5 seconds.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The word you're looking for is "pimped".

or cuckolded.

If NYC is St. Johns wife, we had our way with her while all he could do was watch helplessly like the weak beta he is.

Reaction Score
1990 NCAA Tournament at the XL - we hit BU with a 21-1 second half run, then hit Cal with a 17-0 first half run in the next game. Loudest I've ever heard that place.

Reaction Score
The 12-0 run to beat GTown in the ‘96 BE Tourney will always be my favorite. We looked dead in the water at 74-63. The final minute was classic - King’s dunk on the putback had the Garden in a frenzy. Ricky Moore clamping down on Iverson, and Ray’s only bucket of the 2nd half on an off-balance shot that practically crawled in from underneath the rim. Epic game.

Reaction Score
Well my favorite? Years ago they were playing maybe New Hampshire. They scored like the 1st 32 points or so. I was hoping they would hold them scoreless for the entire first half.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
2011 National Championship game vs Butler. Butler 21-18 at half time. To begin the second half, we went on a 22-6 run to put the game away,

Reaction Score
For those of us who were around when it all started... the "run" at the beginning of the Georgetown game on the night of January 20th, 1990 still stands out as the most important regular season run in the history of UConn basketball. It was the first time that we started to really believe that team could be something.

There was no hurdle bigger for us to get over than the mighty Georgetown Hoyas at that time... not even St. John's. Syracuse? No. Calhoun had already taken a couple of games off of them by the time we beat them earlier that week on Big Monday. No... it was Mt. Georgetown and mighty John Thompson who had stood as "the bridge too far" until that game. Beating us in every way imaginable up until that night. And always with their domineering swagger that made us loathe them (and respect them) like no other foe. Also remember they came into that game not only ranked #2, but in line to move up to #1 the following Monday after then #1-ranked Kansas had already lost earlier in the day.

Sure, you can say that the run happened at the beginning of the game, and at one point Georgetown came all the way back and took the lead before we ultimately won the game (still the most clutch 2nd half regular season performance in a key game by a Husky - Nadav Henefeld), so how important could that run have been? It did not win the game for us.

And furthermore, you can say "you can't really call 14 points scored over 6 minutes a run", and normally I would agree. But the way it crescendo'ed with the Rod Sellers emphatic slam (16:43 mark on the video... thank you as always tcf!) and the crowd reaction overcomes that hurdle, at least for me.

All I can say is: you had to be there or be watching it to understand. Something happened during that run that carried our program to another level, really for the first time... where we had never been before. A belief that we could stand toe to toe with the best, hold our own, and even come out on top. And not just on the court - you could feel it boiling over from the crowd, too. It was an explosion of joy and excitement unlike anything I had ever witnessed up until that time at a sporting event.

Putting the back drop together with what happened as it unfolded, and then what came after is why that particular run will always belong on any list such as this... and as a 35-year Husky fan I will always be thankful for having the chance to have witnessed it first hand. Even if you have never seen it before, watch it. The video quality is not great... but it still gives me goosebumps watching that run, Nadav's 2nd half performance, and the crowd at the end of the game when it was over and we realized we had ripped that #1 ranking right out of the clutches of the big, bad Georgetown Hoyas... and ourselves become a team to be reckoned with in the process.

Enjoy:

Reaction Score
For those of us who were around when it all started... the "run" at the beginning of the Georgetown game on the night of January 20th, 1990 still stands out as the most important regular season run in the history of UConn basketball. It was the first time that we started to really believe that team could be something.

There was no hurdle bigger for us to get over than the mighty Georgetown Hoyas at that time... not even St. John's. Syracuse? No. Calhoun had already taken a couple of games off of them by the time we beat them earlier that week on Big Monday. No... it was Mt. Georgetown and mighty John Thompson who had stood as "the bridge too far" until that game. Beating us in every way imaginable up until that night. And always with their domineering swagger that made us loathe them (and respect them) like no other foe. Also remember they came into that game not only ranked #2, but in line to move up to #1 the following Monday after then #1-ranked Kansas had already lost earlier in the day.

Sure, you can say that the run happened at the beginning of the game, and at one point Georgetown came all the way back and took the lead before we ultimately won the game (still the most clutch 2nd half regular season performance in a key game by a Husky - Nadav Henefeld), so how important could that run have been? It did not win the game for us.

And furthermore, you can say "you can't really call 14 points scored over 6 minutes a run", and normally I would agree. But the way it crescendo'ed with the Rod Sellers emphatic slam (16:43 mark on the video... thank you as always tcf!) and the crowd reaction overcomes that hurdle, at least for me.

All I can say is: you had to be there or be watching it to understand. Something happened during that run that carried our program to another level, really for the first time... where we had never been before. A belief that we could stand toe to toe with the best, hold our own, and even come out on top. And not just on the court - you could feel it boiling over from the crowd, too. It was an explosion of joy and excitement unlike anything I had ever witnessed up until that time at a sporting event.

Putting the back drop together with what happened as it unfolded, and then what came after is why that particular run will always belong on any list such as this... and as a 35-year Husky fan I will always be thankful for having the chance to have witnessed it first hand. Even if you have never seen it before, watch it. The video quality is not great... but it still gives me goosebumps watching that run, Nadav's 2nd half performance, and the crowd at the end of the game when it was over and we realized we had ripped that #1 ranking right out of the clutches of the big, bad Georgetown Hoyas... and ourselves become a team to be reckoned with in the process.

Enjoy:

You can easily argue that the start of UConn being UConn, and Calhoun being Calhoun, was when Mourning mouthed off to Nadav on the offensive end and Nadav came down the court, demanded the ball in the post with Mourning on his back and then hit a fadeaway jumper and one with Alonzo crawling all over him. And said nothing. If there was one moment when everything turned, that was it.

Reaction Score
Off the top of my head I immediately think of 2:

UConn's 11-0 run in the Florida final four game that got them back in the game after being down 16-4

I still watch this video every week. I was there. Loudest I’ve ever screamed in my life after that last 3, no question.

Reaction Score
i loved that run on january 23rd 2010 vs number 1 texas where we took the lead for the first time with dyson's jumper. what a day that was and what a run to start the second half after a turnover ridden first half. blaney absolutely lit a fire under our boys and let it rip on the longhorns for that awesome W. also, the run to end the game to win by 14 wasnt too shabby either :D

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Was there a good run against Texas at Gampel when Texas was ranked #1?

I remember the crowd being crazy I can't recall if there was a big run in there. Maybe to start second half?

Reaction Score
Does the entire 2004 game against Oklahoma count as a run? Beat the #6 team in the country by like 40 and was the loudest game I ever attended in person, plus this phenomenal sizzle from Taliek at the end...

Reaction Score
Here it is.

From losing 48-52 to up 71-58. I'm calling 23-6 a "run".
Does the entire 2004 game against Oklahoma count as a run? Beat the #6 team in the country by like 40 and was the loudest game I ever attended in person, plus this phenomenal sizzle from Taliek at the end...

The football team may play at Pratt and Whitney Stadium; but Gampel sure sounded like a jet engine for those games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom