Best UConn in-game runs | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Best UConn in-game runs

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Not the most important run, but the craziest one I remember was against Maine in the 91/92 season. If I recall, UConn got out to something like a 32-0 lead at Gampel. They were having a difficult time even getting across half court and Calhoun didn’t call off the dogs. It’s been almost 30 years and my memory isn’t so good at 51 but I believe that is close to accurate.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here it is.

From losing 48-52 to up 71-58. I'm calling 23-6 a "run".

i watch this video at least once a month. chills just rush my spine when dyson hits the shot to take the lead and when kemba heavs that ridiculous long range three with the clock winding down

Reaction Score
No specific game, but I think Calhoun had some fairly frequent in game runs. .............sorry, it is where my brain is after a tough work day.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
How about in '95. We trailed Pitt 40-15 in the first half, ended up winning by 9.

COLLEGE BASKETBALL; UConn Rallies From 25 Down to Top Pitt

"The Huskies (11-0, 4-0 Big East), the only unbeaten Division I team, fell victim to Pitt's turnover-producing full-court pressure and 3-point shooting and trailed by 14-2 with barely 5 minutes gone, and by 40-15 with 4 minutes 42 seconds left in the first half. But Connecticut turned up the defensive pressure after that, reeling off a 10-0 run to cut the lead to 15 and a 9-0 run early in the second half that made it 55-50."

Reaction Score
The football team may play at Pratt and Whitney Stadium; but Gampel sure sounded like a jet engine for those games.
robert griffen once said the rent was the loudest stadium he played in

Reaction Score
My favorite was 2014 USF game that the Huskies led 45-14 at half time. I was in St. Louis on a work trip and remember checking in on the score at the bar of Ruth’s Chris where the game was on TV for some reason. Had a bunch of wine at dinner and was feeling especially confident with the performance so I added a $100 bet at 100-1 for the Huskies to win the national championship.

Reaction Score
Well my favorite? Years ago they were playing maybe New Hampshire. They scored like the 1st 32 points or so. I was hoping they would hold them scoreless for the entire first half.

I was at that game. It was in Gampel in the 1990-91 season. That’s still the best run to start a game I’ve ever seen - 32-0. I don’t think New Hampshire scored until 8 minutes left in the half.

Reaction Score
Not sure of the run but in 1994 at BC we were down 17 about mid way in the 2nd half and came back to force OT then win in OT. It was beautiful.

Reaction Score
I remember the Duke final four game the best of the runs. I remember Okafor was in foul trouble all game, with 2 being very questionable. Okafor just imposed his will on Duke, especially those last 4 minutes. When he sealed it with that last free throw, I just remember him being emotional, which was pretty unlike him, but it was understandable given the situation. And that last free throw ended up being huge of course.
I also remembering feeling pity for New Hampshire. 32-0, first point almost 12 minutes in. First bucket, around 14 minutes in.

Reaction Score
Not the most important run, but the craziest one I remember was against Maine in the 91/92 season. If I recall, UConn got out to something like a 32-0 lead at Gampel. They were having a difficult time even getting across half court and Calhoun didn’t call off the dogs. It’s been almost 30 years and my memory isn’t so good at 51 but I believe that is close to accurate.
COLLEGE BASKETBALL; UConn Gets 32-0 Lead

Which makes me wonder, what is the most consecutive points scored by one team to start a game when two D1 opponents are involved? I would think that, 32, is top 3 for men's college ball.

edit: I found 44-0 but not both teams involved were D1. Found a 34-0 start from Shall, but again, not vs D1.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I went to the UW vs UConn early regular season game here in Seattle back when we had Bazz and Ollie, the same year we won the ship.

We must have been down 15 at the half. I remember sitting there really embarrassed in my UConn Jersey and thinking it was going to be a long season...

Then I saw Kevin Ollie dig into Bazz and Boat after the half and I saw this “fire” energy in all three of them. Kromah too actually.

I knew that they were going to come back and win after that. What I didn’t know was that energy would carry through them into the postseason and to win a national championship.

That team wasn’t our most talented but they had a special energy about them that I will never forget. A real life example of how the “mind” supersedes anything that talent can bring.

One thing I will always give Ollie credit for, even though he wouldn’t have done it w/o Bazz and the players, is that he was a great motivator and he was a big part of motivating his boy Bazz and the team to a championship. Ollie had a fire energy his first year here and then flamed out after the success.

Another real life example that mindset is everything but also it must be consistent and maintained!

There’s my philosophical UConn rant of the evening.
Good night everyone

Reaction Score
2014 Regional Final vs MSU. The 18-6 run where we suffocated Izzo's team out. The "out of body" turnover game he put it..

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Does the entire 2004 game against Oklahoma count as a run? Beat the #6 team in the country by like 40 and was the loudest game I ever attended in person, plus this phenomenal sizzle from Taliek at the end...

That game was completely ridiculous. We were playing chess and they were playing checkers. If memory serves there was a big WBB game that day too.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
3 pages in and I missed seeing the #1 run.

The opening of the 2014 NCG.

Reaction Score
Most of my fave's have been mentioned...

14-0 vs. GTown in 1990
12-0 vs. GTown in 96, Duke in 04
12-0 vs. SJU in 99 (best fast break we ever ran... Ricky to KEA to Freeman for the oop. Ball never touched the floor over 94 feet)

But one that is generally forgotten is 03 vs. Vanderbilt. We opened up 19-0 on them. Caron had 3 or 4 steals and dunks during the run. Johnnie time w/ a big one and Kevin Stallings literally speechless with his mouth open on the sideline because his team could barely complete a pass. That was a really fun team to watch.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
That game was completely ridiculous. We were playing chess and they were playing checkers. If memory serves there was a big WBB game that day too.

I was in Vegas for CES ....... had a great night at the craps tables the night before, never went to bed and sat in a sports book and sent in the big money I won on UConn. Game was never in doubt. Never forget that day. Perfect.

Reaction Score
Most of my fave's have been mentioned...
But one that is generally forgotten is 03 vs. Vanderbilt. We opened up 19-0 on them. Caron had 3 or 4 steals and dunks during the run. Johnnie time w/ a big one and Kevin Stallings literally speechless with his mouth open on the sideline because his team could barely complete a pass. That was a really fun team to watch.
That must have been the 01-02 season. Game against Vandy was early in that season. That was Caron's last year at UConn.

Reaction Score
Second game of the '93-94 season. We went into Virginia and curb stomped them. It was a 29 point game at halftime.

Reaction Score
That must have been the 01-02 season. Game against Vandy was early in that season. That was Caron's last year at UConn.

You're right! Had my years off. Emeka was still a mystery of sorts and that was our opening game of the year. It's totally worth checking out if you haven't seen it in years.

Reaction Score
Last UConn game of the '03 regular season. We were 1 game behind a Troy Bell led BC team for a share of the regular season championship (I think of one division of a big east that was split in two that year), playing at Chestnut Hill. UConn ran off to something like a 17-0 lead to start a game that was over before it started. UConn and the thousands of fans who took over Conte was so hyped up for the start of the game that, in something I've never seen before, Calhoun got T'd up in the middle of a 17-0 run put on by his team (and Troy Bell missed the Ts).

Still the most dominant road crowd I've ever seen at an important basketball game. I remember Hilton Armstrong grabbing people on the UConn bench with a few minutes to go and making them stand up and applaud UConn nation.

Man, to have those days back.

Reaction Score
The first one I thought of was the run against Florida in the Final Four, but I remember the huge run in the Maui finals in 2010 against Kentucky to end the first half that turned that game into a blowout.

Reaction Score
My favorite part of the 2004 Duke game was Rashad repeating "Don't worry about it." at the free throw line. Go to 6:56.

God I just love the look on Krapshefski's face when he goes to shake JC's hand. Complete disbelief that he didn't get a phantom foul call on Redick's drive. Amazing what happens to Duke when they don't get gift calls.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom