Best UConn Assistant Coaches | The Boneyard

Best UConn Assistant Coaches

Reaction Score
May be a dumb thread, may be interesting.

I saw the Head Coach thread and thought maybe an assistant one would be a interesting debate. JC had such a long tenure and had a handful of guys go on to lead their own programs, just wondered how everyone saw as some of the most impactful assistants in the programs history.

Edit: can’t wait till real sports are back in full force.

Reaction Score
I think you have to put Howie Dickenmen near the top. He was with Calhoun from the beginning, and right into the mid 90’s during the rise of UConn basketball as a National power. He had a hand in recruiting a lot of the guys that built the foundation like Scott Burrell and Ray Allen.

Karl Hobbs is also one of the best rectuiters we ever had, and that helped us win our first National Championship. The same can be said about Dave Leitao and Tom Moore. Leitao probably will end up being the most successful HC out of the Calhoun assistants outside of Ollie’s National Championship. Finally, I think George Blaney doesn’t get enough credit. He was the perfect #2 guy on the staff, Calhoun trusted him, and I think their personalities worked well together all those years. During Blaney’s UConn career, they went to 3 Final Fours, and won 2 National Championships.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
George Blaney.
Quick story: I was a game vs RU about when they first joined the BE. My buddy, an RU guy, looks over at bench and does a double take and says "holy crap that guy on your bench looks exactly like George Blaney." I said "It is." He was like "How does George Blaney become an assistant at UConn?" Me: "I don't know, hard work I guess." He just shook his head and was quiet for like 10 minutes. Love messing with RU guys.

Reaction Score
Karl Hobbs was another who was a very good assistant coach.
Yes he was. When Bouknight is a lottery pick Next year, Hobbs & Pikiell can claim his development as another feather in their development cap!

C

Chief00

Howie to me number one. He was a real difference maker. Developed big men.
Blaney.
Vaughn. Too bad he couldn't control his urges. Wish he would come to this group.
Clyde was my favorite - our best Bigs Recruiter in his short time here and great hands on in the paint coach. Also, just liked the guy. Jim wanted to keep him but his hands were tied from above.
Blaney though was the best analytical break the game and teams down coach. He knew the game inside and out.

C

Chief00

When Doug Wiggins tried to explain why he had his best game under George by saying he felt more comfortable and relaxed. LOL - I knew his days were numbered when the Big Dog got back.

Reaction Score
Clyde was my favorite - our best Bigs Recruiter in his short time here and great hands on in the paint coach. Also, just liked the guy. Jim wanted to keep him but his hands were tied from above.
Blaney though was the best analytical break the game and teams down coach. He knew the game inside and out.

George was under rated - Years and years at HC.

Reaction Score
Howie
George
Clyde
Karl
Dave
Tom
Jim OBrien
Glen

The assistants now are moving up slowly

Reaction Score
Didn’t Blaney step in when JC was tossed from #1 Texas at Gampel back in 2010 ? That game was dope. Blaney is my choice because of that game alone ;)

Also a big Howie fan! He was also the main reason in CCSU’s success in early 00’s

Reaction Score
Quick story: I was a game vs RU about when they first joined the BE. My buddy, an RU guy, looks over at bench and does a double take and says "holy crap that guy on your bench looks exactly like George Blaney." I said "It is." He was like "How does George Blaney become an assistant at UConn?" Me: "I don't know, hard work I guess." He just shook his head and was quiet for like 10 minutes. Love messing with RU guys.
That sounds like my dad, Blaney was three years ahead of him at The Prep. He never understood why Blaney was Calhoun's assistant. He always said George was an excellent player but he thought he would've been better off in the priesthood than coaching basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom