Best team from a pool of any UConn, Kentucky, UNC, Kansas, or Duke teams from the past 15 yrs. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best team from a pool of any UConn, Kentucky, UNC, Kansas, or Duke teams from the past 15 yrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I also see it as an amazing failure that Calipari didn't win it all in 2009-2010. His roster included John Wall, Eric Bledsoe, Demarcus Cousins, Patrick Patterson, Deandre Liggins, Daniel Orton and Darius Miller. Somehow he managed to lose to Wes Virginia.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I also see it as an amazing failure that Calipari didn't win it all in 2009-2010. His roster included John Wall, Eric Bledsoe, Demarcus Cousins, Patrick Patterson, Deandre Liggins, Daniel Orton and Darius Miller. Somehow he managed to lose to Wes Virginia.
Yeah DeSean Butler was really good his senior year...plus they had Kevin Jones and Devin Ebanks...

Reaction Score
Why is that funny? Anthony Davis is the best college player in the last 20 years.
How is that fair to say? He played one season with a bunch of other McDonald's All Americans. I'm not denying his talent, but that's not really fair to say.

Even among one-and-doners, I would probably put Carmelo ahead of him.

Reaction Score
How is that fair to say? He played one season with a bunch of other McDonald's All Americans. I'm not denying his talent, but that's not really fair to say.

Even among one-and-doners, I would probably put Carmelo ahead of him.
How is what fair to say? Anthony Davis is better than Carmelo, Durant is also better than Carmelo. The only player in the NBA I would take over Anthony Davis is Lebron and even that is close.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Why is that funny? Anthony Davis is the best college player in the last 20 years.
better than melo? Durant? Love? you think that team was better than those listed below his?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
How is what fair to say? Anthony Davis is better than Carmelo, Durant is also better than Carmelo. The only player in the NBA I would take over Anthony Davis is Lebron and even that is close.
melo, love, and durant had better seasons. the thing is this isnt about the nba, this is about the best team. and if you put his team against any of those listed his might beat kansas '08.

Reaction Score
better than melo? Durant? Love? you think that team was better than those listed below his?
I think that Kentucky team deserves to be on the list, not sure in what place. Yes, I think Davis is the best college player.

Reaction Score
We're talking about the players as they were in college. Carmelo carried a team on his own to an NCAA title.

Obviously Davis and many others are better than Carmelo right now, in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Durant scored a lot more his 1 year in college but it's no contest defensively, Davis was probably the best I've ever seen defensively. He also was pretty damn good offensively, think he shot something like 70% from the field. The Kentucky team had more talent than Texas so it's not really fair to compare the team results but Davis and his team pretty much steamrolled everyone on their way to winning the tournament and Durant's team lost 2nd round. They were both the best players in college for their 1 year, I just give the nod to Davis. It sucks for Durant after playing second fiddle to Lebron for years in the NBA, I think he's going to have to do the same now with Davis.

Reaction Score
Agree with the Anthony Davis love. Davis shot 65% on his 2's in college, swept the post-season individual awards (Naismith, Wooden, etc., including defensive player of the year and tourny MOP). His team won the title. He went #1 in the draft. He led the country in offensive rating AND defensive rating while averaging a double double. His blocks per game was essentially the same as Emeka's best, and his block % was better. One of 9 players in the last 17 years to post a single season college win share above 10 (6/8 others have made the NBA All Star team, other 2 are Shane Battier and Michael Beasley).

Take another look at his supporting cast that year. MKG is a bust, Teague and DLamb are out of the NBA already. Jones is a journeyman.

Durant had DJ Augustin (better pro than any of the Kentucky guys), and Dexter Pittman and Damion James both have had extended cups of coffee in the NBA (more than Lamb and Teague, really.) Their supporting casts aren't that different, and again, Durant's team lost in the 2nd round and Davis' team rolled to the title. (Yes, his coach was Rick Barnes, but are we will to give Calipari the inverse Barnes credit?)

Reaction Score
If we are talking strictly college Kevin Durant was a better college basketball player than davis was. Who knows who the best player has been in the last 20 years it isnt davis though.

Reaction Score
Durant was incredible but Michael Beasley had better numbers. 26 and 12 on 53% shooting for Beasley. Gracious.

Reaction Score
2012 Kentucky? Wow. Way too high. Nice team but that was a weak year for college hoops. 2004 and 2009 unc team were much better.

1997 Kansas was a great team but the fact that they did not make the elite eight let alone final four should knock them the hell of that list. I remember an undermanned uconn team who was young and no where near developed gave them a run for their money at xl center

caw

Reaction Score
Agree with the Anthony Davis love. Davis shot 65% on his 2's in college, swept the post-season individual awards (Naismith, Wooden, etc., including defensive player of the year and tourny MOP). His team won the title. He went #1 in the draft. He led the country in offensive rating AND defensive rating while averaging a double double. His blocks per game was essentially the same as Emeka's best, and his block % was better. One of 9 players in the last 17 years to post a single season college win share above 10 (6/8 others have made the NBA All Star team, other 2 are Shane Battier and Michael Beasley).

Take another look at his supporting cast that year. MKG is a bust, Teague and DLamb are out of the NBA already. Jones is a journeyman.

Durant had DJ Augustin (better pro than any of the Kentucky guys), and Dexter Pittman and Damion James both have had extended cups of coffee in the NBA (more than Lamb and Teague, really.) Their supporting casts aren't that different, and again, Durant's team lost in the 2nd round and Davis' team rolled to the title. (Yes, his coach was Rick Barnes, but are we will to give Calipari the inverse Barnes credit?)

Hold up.

MKG is not a bust, he may not be an all-star but he's a pretty good starter on a playoff team. I think those who watch Charlotte would agree he may be their key piece in winning games. He is the glue to their defense. He's also all of 21 years old.

Jones (as far as I am aware) has never been traded and looked pretty solid before his injury this year. He's only 23.

Both have more potential than DJ Augustine who has been traded numerous times over his career and is the definition of a backup/journeyman.

Lamb was a fantastic shooter but was short for an NBA two, he shouldn't be judged by NBA success. Teague was overrated. Darius Miller also got a short cup of coffee.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If it weren't for Emeka's back problems, the 2004 team would get much more credit. We would've beaten Duke going away if he didn't pick up two quick fouls in that game, too.

Reaction Score
Hold up.
MKG is not a bust, he may not be an all-star but he's a pretty good starter on a playoff team. I think those who watch Charlotte would agree he may be their key piece in winning games. He is the glue to their defense. He's also all of 21 years old.
He was the 2nd pick in the draft. "Playoff team" is loose when they're 12-20. He's been hurt this year and his defense is good, but a wing who is a zero shooter is going to be tough to hang in the NBA. Maybe he develops that shot (since as you mention he is young), but it looks like he's abandoning the 3 instead, and that's not where the league is headed.

Jones (as far as I am aware) has never been traded and looked pretty solid before his injury this year. He's only 23. Both have more potential than DJ Augustine who has been traded numerous times over his career and is the definition of a backup/journeyman.
Journeyman was probably the wrong word choice. Starter on a bad team, rotation guy on a good one is his most likely career arc, which is what Augustin has already done.

Lamb was a fantastic shooter but was short for an NBA two, he shouldn't be judged by NBA success. Teague was overrated. Darius Miller also got a short cup of coffee.
The Texas team had AJ Abrams also who filled many of these same roles and has played professionally, just not in the NBA.

My main point, which you haven't refuted, is that the Kentucky team was not world's better talent-wise than Durant's Texas team. Cumulatively it probably had more talent, but it's closer than some were arguing and certainly not the difference between round of 32 loss by 20 to #5 seed USC and winning a title with no game closer than 8 points. Brow > Durant in college is that difference.

Reaction Score
If it weren't for Emeka's back problems, the 2004 team would get much more credit. We would've beaten Duke going away if he didn't pick up two quick fouls in that game, too.

Possibly. I think we had the most talent of any team in the country (and probably of all UConn teams), but when all is said and done we were a 2-seed that year with 6 losses, which is hard to get over when you compare against other great teams.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Possibly. I think we had the most talent of any team in the country (and probably of all UConn teams), but when all is said and done we were a 2-seed that year with 6 losses, which is hard to get over when you compare against other great teams.

Well that just goes back to my point: If Emeka's back was healthy I don't think we lose more than a handful of games.

Reaction Score
Well that just goes back to my point: If Emeka's back was healthy I don't think we lose more than a handful of games.
If Mek has a healthy back,Ben kicks it into 5th gear in jan instead of march and Rashad starts from day one of conference play we probably lose less than 3 games. Once that team got rolling it was one of the best ive ever seen.

Reaction Score
Anyone else think Uconn 04 absolutely trounces Duke `99? Duke 04 nearly got blown out of the gym if not for two absolute bs foul calls on Mek in the first half and Coach took the foot off the peddle in the second half vs Gtech. I believe the 04 team beats the 99 team and i believe that 99 team beats Duke 99 more than it loses. Im rambling i know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom