Best streaming service for sports? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Best streaming service for sports?

Reaction Score
I have 4 TVs.i need to connect the Rokus on each tv to the router? I may not understand this but wouldn’t I have wires running through the house everywhere? Just checked download speed on my computer and it’s 60.

Is the computer hard wired or wireless?

Reaction Score
Is the computer hard wired or wireless?
The iPad I tested the speed on was wireless. my cable line goes to a Motorola modem which is wired directly to the router. All computer devices in the house are wireless to the router.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
I have 4 TVs.i need to connect the Rokus on each tv to the router? I may not understand this but wouldn’t I have wires running through the house everywhere? Just checked download speed on my computer and it’s 60.

I would just connect the Ethernet to the Main TV only. Plus the depending on how old the Ethernet card is on your computer, it may only support up to around 60 mbps. If you have a fairly new Roku device, those should support faster speeds because the technology is newer, especially if the are connected hardwire.

Reaction Score
Try connecting your streaming device hardwire directly via Ethernet to your router instead of relying on the wireless network. Unless your internet service hook up is not near the TV, its useless to use the wireless network for TV because it is always in the same location.

This worked wonders for me. I have 400mbps service and with my Roku connected via wifi I would some times see it dip as low as 15mbps. With a hardwired ethernet cable, it never dips! Just make sure what ever streaming device you get has an ethernet input, some of them only allow for wifi.

Reaction Score
This worked wonders for me. I have 400mbps service and with my Roku connected via wifi I would some times see it dip as low as 15mbps. With a hardwired ethernet cable, it never dips! Just make sure what ever streaming device you get has an ethernet input, some of them only allow for wifi.
Thanks, this makes a lot of sense but as a practical matter having these wires running all through the house would be tough especially with an attic and second floor above the main tv. It would be a monumental wiring job to get it to the other sets too without being conspicuous. Believe me I hate Comcast but may have to return if this gets to be too much of a problem. I also heard that the more households in the area that have the service can affect it. As years go by some of this stuff may get resolved with new tech.

Reaction Score
I just need to find a way to get Red Zone before next Sunday via streaming and i’ll have the cord cut faster than you can say John Skipper

Go to reddit.com/r/nflstreams on game day. They will have links for individual games, including red zone (HD quality). Just an FYI, it does appear as though these subs are getting shut down, though NFL is still up and running. The most consistent streams that they post is from a site called Buffstreamz. If you're able to get it up and running on Sunday just make sure to bookmark the buffstreamz site. At least that's how i get my redzone. Free-99.

Reaction Score
Thanks, this makes a lot of sense but as a practical matter having these wires running all through the house would be tough especially with an attic and second floor above the main tv. It would be a monumental wiring job to get it to the other sets too without being conspicuous. Believe me I hate Comcast but may have to return if this gets to be too much of a problem. I also heard that the more households in the area that have the service can affect it. As years go by some of this stuff may get resolved with new tech.

If there are coaxial cables already run you can set up MoCA adapters in those locations with around 5% bandwidth lost. Not sure if that's the case.

Reaction Score
Did we come to a consensus on what the best option was? I need to pull the trigger tomorrow and I am confused.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Did we come to a consensus on what the best option was? I need to pull the trigger tomorrow and I am confused.

If you like football, then PS Vue definitely since it comes with NFL network and has an option for red zone for $10 a month. If you don't care too much about that, then YoutubeTV is a similar price point and gets all the UConn channels you'll need (I think it's about $5 cheaper per month than PS Vue).

Reaction Score

You could also use power line adapters in rooms that don't have Ethernet run to them. One caveat being that if you plug it into a wall outlet that is on the same electrical circuit as your fridge or ac unit, the connection may drop for a moment whenever those appliances kick on throughout the day. I use a couple of them for a room upstairs that has no Ethernet jacks in the wall so that I can hardwire my PC and my PS4.

Reaction Score
If you like football, then PS Vue definitely since it comes with NFL network and has an option for red zone for $10 a month. If you don't care too much about that, then YoutubeTV is a similar price point and gets all the UConn channels you'll need (I think it's about $5 cheaper per month than PS Vue).

But what about when UConn plays on ESPN 3?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
But what about when UConn plays on ESPN 3?

I now that if you have PS Vue, you can download the ESPN app, enter your PS Vue login information, and watch anything on ESPN 3 through that app. Not sure if that works through Youtube TV.

Reaction Score
Just realized that YT TV doesn't carry NFL Network. Luckily the TNF games are now on network TV, because that's the most unreasonable omission on their lineup. They literally rock the Tennis channel(no hate meant)...

Reaction Score
I now that if you have PS Vue, you can download the ESPN app, enter your PS Vue login information, and watch anything on ESPN 3 through that app. Not sure if that works through Youtube TV.
YT TV you can actually "follow the UConn Men's Basketball team" and it records every live and classic game that is on any channel, including ESPN3 I believe

Reaction Score
YT TV you can actually "follow the UConn Men's Basketball team" and it records every live and classic game that is on any channel, including ESPN3 I believe

Not sure about ESPN3, but it does record very nicely and if the game goes past it allotted time it will still record all of it.

Reaction Score
Not sure about ESPN3, but it does record very nicely and if the game goes past it allotted time it will still record all of it.

Yeah, I’m guessing on ESPN3, but I cannot honestly remember one game I couldn’t watch last year...and I live in the Charlotte NC...

Not entirely sure how much credit I need to give to uconnhuskygames.com as well tho lol

Reaction Score
There was a 3 year special promotion for Disney+ for $140 recently and unfortunately ended last week which I believe includes ESPN+. So now I have free ad enabled Hulu (from Sprint) and Disney+.

I guess when November rolls around I'll have to start calling to get all these accounts merged into 1.

Reaction Score
Can people who have done this comment on pausing/rewinding/FF live TV? I know there are lots of DVR-like options for OTA. I want to know what works for non-OTA. What services allow this, or a form of it, and what receivers support it? For example, what can and can't be done with Hulu on Fire Cube or Hulu on Roku Ultra or YouTube on Fire Stick and so on.

Reaction Score
There was a 3 year special promotion for Disney+ for $140 recently and unfortunately ended last week which I believe includes ESPN+. So now I have free ad enabled Hulu (from Sprint) and Disney+.

I guess when November rolls around I'll have to start calling to get all these accounts merged into 1.

Nope, the Disney+ deal was only for the Disney+ piece. It was for 3 years. I did it because I have 2 young girls. But it doesn't include anything else I don't believe.

Reaction Score
Can people who have done this comment on pausing/rewinding/FF live TV? I know there are lots of DVR-like options for OTA. I want to know what works for non-OTA. What services allow this, or a form of it, and what receivers support it? For example, what can and can't be done with Hulu on Fire Cube or Hulu on Roku Ultra or YouTube on Fire Stick and so on.

I have a Roku streaming stick on every TV in my house. I have YoutubeTV, Amazon prime, Hulu, Netflix, and HBO. Regarding DVR, with Youtubetv using a Roku, you can do whatever you want basically. Pause, rewind, fast forward through commercials. Anything you do with an old school TiVo, you can do with the Roku.

Reaction Score
I have a Roku streaming stick on every TV in my house. I have YoutubeTV, Amazon prime, Hulu, Netflix, and HBO. Regarding DVR, with Youtubetv using a Roku, you can do whatever you want basically. Pause, rewind, fast forward through commercials. Anything you do with an old school TiVo, you can do with the Roku.
Awesome, thanks! So Roku plus YT is a thumbs up. How about Hulu with Roku?

Reaction Score
Awesome, thanks! So Roku plus YT is a thumbs up. How about Hulu with Roku?

I don't have Hulu live, so I don't know that. But regular Hulu works well. There haven't been any issue with it at all.

Reaction Score
You can pause, rewind and FF?

Yeah, but it works better with the higher priced Hulu because there aren't commercials. With the lower tier you can't fast forward through commercials. Because everything on Hulu has already aired thats why you are able to do all of that. Hulu Live is Live TV and fast forwarding live TV doesn't work.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom