Best Steakhouses | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best Steakhouses

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I always enjoyed Mario's. Great bar. But have to admit, a rare steak there had enough blood to warrant a chalk outline of the plate.

Then they didn't let it rest properly

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Then they didn't let it rest properly

Or they knew their clientele were blood suckers of Wall St. and Madison Ave.

Anyway, nobody went to Mario's for the Italian food.

And I'm still going to hold your love for Texas Roadhouse over your head as a prime example of your palate being questionable. Even moreso than the Arby's love.

August_West

Reaction Score
Or they knew their clientele were blood suckers of Wall St. and Madison Ave.

Anyway, nobody went to Mario's for the Italian food.

And I'm still going to hold your love for Texas Roadhouse over your head as a prime example of your palate being questionable. Even moreso than the Arby's love.
It's fantastic for the money. Ive never found it too salty . I think you got screwed. Go back and get the bone in ribeye. But I should've stayed out of this thread as I'm slowly starving myself and havent had a proper piece of meat or over 1000 calories in 10 days. And it's going to be a while before I do. Now I'm hungry .
Down 14 lbs in those 10 days though.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
btw, I gave you a like that for the weight loss, not the rest. I've given TX Roadhouse two chances already. One with ribeye. They ruined a baked potato with salt. How's that possible?

I admire the dedication even for only 10 days.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's fantastic for the money. Ive never found it too salty . I think you got screwed. Go back and get the bone in ribeye. But I should've stayed out of this thread as I'm slowly starving myself and havent had a proper piece of meat or over 1000 calories in 10 days. And it's going to be a while before I do. Now I'm hungry .

Congrats. You’ll think it’s worth it later.

Reaction Score

Congrats on the weight loss - I hope your first steak isn’t Texas RH. It’s thin and tough. Gross.

August_West

Reaction Score
Congrats on the weight loss - I hope your first steak isn’t Texas RH. It’s thin and tough. Gross.

Ugh do I have to break out my NYC steakhouse photo library again?

Trust me. I have a frame of reference.

Reaction Score
I always enjoyed Mario's. Great bar. But have to admit, a rare steak there had enough blood to warrant a chalk outline of the plate.

Well then they know what rare actually is most places give you medium rare and call it rare

Reaction Score
Hal's, Kevin Rathbun and Little Alley are my go to steakhouses in Atlanta.

Reaction Score
Marios was such a wonderful 1980s hang out. The clientele got old and died, as did the place.
I seem to recall Dorothy Hamil had some relationship to Mario's. Maybe a family member owned it?

Reaction Score
Mr Steak
True story. About 30 some years ago I was working on a project with some engineers that were here from Italy. They were looking to try "a good American steak" and asked the receptionist at work for a suggestion. Her suggestion was Mr Steak. Luckily I overheard this and redirected them.

Reaction Score
Ugh do I have to break out my NYC steakhouse photo library again?

Trust me. I have a frame of reference.

Not if you’re using Texas Roadhouse as your reference point... I am a steak connoisseur and can even make a steakhouse quality steak at home (need the right cut, thickness to start, the rest is easy).

Please give me pictures. Please note, although not a Philly homer, I will argue that Philly is a better restaurant city than NY and some great NY restaurants started in Philly (Buddakan, for one). But please give me a slide show... but your argument is faulty bc it starts with Texas Roadhouse. If you need to eat it cheap, don’t eat it...

Reaction Score
I seem to recall Dorothy Hamil had some relationship to Mario's. Maybe a family member owned it?
Really? That’s so cool - if it’s true, I didn’t know. But that’s awesome.

Reaction Score
Well then they know what rare actually is most places give you medium rare and call it rare
This a million times... I love when real steakhouses warm you that it will be cool, almost purple. And I’m like “it better be!” I know what I’m asking for.

I also eat rare burgers... try getting one of those!

Reaction Score
I have heard that not all upper echelon steakhouses use prime beef. Many of the waiters wouldn’t even know.

Reaction Score
It looks like this will be controversial in this thread, but I don’t like Lugers. Great steak, but I believe all of the top places are great. I hate the jerk waiters, cash only, crappy bar and location. To me, it's just not worth it. Probably worth going once just to check it off the list though. The most consistent top place I've probably been to is Mastros. Great in LA, AZ, and very good in Vegas and NYC. But I wouldn't complain about a bunch of others in New York.

Reaction Score
This is a great thread. I find it very hard to find a good steak house in the New Haven area(I live in Madison). As a few posters correctly mentioned Joesphs is really top notch, I would get the steak for 2 or 3 and its amazing. It really has a taste thats hard to be duplicated. I got a good steak at Flemings in West Hartford, Ruth Chris is good it comes sizzling on your plate.... I do appreciate any place that will serve a 10-12 oz bone in Fillet Mignon, but thats pretty rare...

Reaction Score
@JustinesGuy

I've heard good things about cast iron in new haven. Haven't been myself so can't speak for it.

Pasta cosi in Branford has very high quality steaks but it's not exactly a steak house.

Reaction Score
@JustinesGuy

I've heard good things about cast iron in new haven. Haven't been myself so can't speak for it.

Pasta cosi in Branford has very high quality steaks but it's not exactly a steak house.

I actually lived in Branford for 12 years and went to Pasta Cosi many times, its a very good restaurant just on the small side and need to call ahead. I have had there steak special and its very good they put some gorgonzola cheese on the top which really works. I do have to admit I did eat the entire Rib Eye with all the Cheese on top on a new years eve like 8 years ago. I went to a party a few hours later, was in the jacuzzi with what i might say was a few fine ladies and I got the worst stomach ache of my life, no need to go into details but I almost died haha. It was certainly a mood killer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom