Best soup based lunch | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best soup based lunch

Reaction Score
Slow cooked, Crock pot lentils with thumb nail sized, square chunks of ham. and shredded spinach (not whole leaf) lightly toasted plain bagel with butter. (OK, not Kosher, but devilishly hardy),

Put in only one bag of lentils with a lot of water in a big pot. Otherwise the lentil soaks up all the water and you have no soup. But too much water and the lentils don't get brown and crispy,, And great with tea (no milk , cream or sugar.)

I've fine-tuned this for 50 years. I don't guarantee results if you stray from the beaten path.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
As a youth I always loved my Campbell's Tomato soup (made with milk not water) and a grilled cheese sandwich. But now I'm a huge fan of Hearty Italian Style Wedding Soup (Progresso, if I want to sodium splurge or Campbell's chunky if I'm being a bit more health conscious). A ham and swiss sandwich is a great add on.

Eating out, Panera's french onion soup and a grilled cheese sando is strong. My favorite Greensboro restaurant Southern Lights closed down and boy did they have a a gifted "soupier" (sp).

ps Nan - I hope this will lighten the mood. Forgot to hit OT, sorry.

That's one restaurant that I had wanted to try for years.. and now its too late. :oops:

Where's @triaddukefan as I really take my food tips from the expert...;)

I've probably had maybe two bowls of soup in the last 20 years...although I do have 3 cans of soup sitting in the kitchen... :confused:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Soup-a-holic here. Most lunches. Back when we could eat out, as an appetizer. Still from out, occasionally.

My take:

- I love home made Split Pea soup; absent that, I have been into "Amy's" and Progresso as a 2nd. Many canned versions I don't like, those are tasty.

- Yes on Nan and Chicken Corn Chowder; I like creamy soups in general, Campbells Chunky does a Creamy Chicken Noodle as well. The regular Campbells cream soups are for cooking, IMHO.

- I don't typically like "thin" broth soups but have taken a liking to a particular Ramen bowl (Maruchan). One of the few soups I NEVER eat - Egg Drop.

- and finally, yes, I like New England Clam Chowder, but haven't found any brand I really, really like. I also do Manhattan, which we buy on-line (Campbells Chunky) as it is the only one my wife cares for. I don't do any other shellfish / bisques because I don't care for much shellfish other than Clam (and crabcakes).

Reaction Score
Soup-a-holic here. Most lunches. Back when we could eat out, as an appetizer. Still from out, occasionally.

My take:

- I love home made Split Pea soup; absent that, I have been into "Amy's" and Progresso as a 2nd. Many canned versions I don't like, those are tasty.

- Yes on Nan and Chicken Corn Chowder; I like creamy soups in general, Campbells Chunky does a Creamy Chicken Noodle as well. The regular Campbells cream soups are for cooking, IMHO.

- I don't typically like "thin" broth soups but have taken a liking to a particular Ramen bowl (Maruchan). One of the few soups I NEVER eat - Egg Drop.

- and finally, yes, I like New England Clam Chowder, but haven't found any brand I really, really like. I also do Manhattan, which we buy on-line (Campbells Chunky) as it is the only one my wife cares for. I don't do any other shellfish / bisques because I don't care for much shellfish other than Clam (and crabcakes).
Nothing better than a homemade bowl of chicken and andouille sausage or shrimp gumbo. Almost as satisfying to make as eat. In a pinch, this will do:
1614030021133.png

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I've probably had maybe two bowls of soup in the last 20 years...although I do have 3 cans of soup sitting in the kitchen... :confused:
So you’re NOT my “go to guy” anymore?
Anger Rage GIF

Reaction Score
That is literally what Jerry says to Elaine. I was implying nothing, Geez!
Haha. I think Nan thought you were saying that she (Nan) skipped over the best part by only typing yada yada yada and not more of the dialogue.

What we have here is a unique case of multi-dimensional yada yada yada ... sort of like when you see yourself on a monitor that’s sitting next to you, or Russian nesting dolls.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Haha. I think Nan thought you were saying that she (Nan) skipped over the best part by only typing yada yada yada and not more of the dialogue.

What we have here is a unique case of multi-dimensional yada yada yada ... sort of like when you see yourself on a monitor that’s sitting next to you, or Russian nesting dolls.
Could well be and if that is the case I beg her pardon. It was an iconic scene from a series chock full of memorable lines. Elaine Benes forever! And Go Huskies.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
'Is corn chowder a New England thing?'
my instinct was to say 'invented here,' but i had to confirm.
so, yes.
'In the United States, recipes for corn chowder date back to at least 1884, at which time a corn chowder recipe was published in the Boston Cook Book, authored by Mary Lincoln of the Boston Cooking School.
So many references:

Where did corn chowder originate?

The word chowder is a corruption of the French chaudière (“cauldron”), and chowder may have originated among Breton fishermen who brought the custom to Newfoundland, whence it spread to Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and New England.

Who invented corn soup?
National Geographic asserts that cultivation of corn soup most likely started in some parts of Mexico approximately 10,000 years ago

Where did chicken corn soup originated?
Settlers from fishing villages in Europe that immigrated "across the pond" brought this tradition with them and it has carried on since. The corn comes from the Native Americans that grew corn and made corn soup.

Chowder was not utterly unfamiliar in England at the time, as in Sir Launcelot Greaves (1762) Tobias Smollett has one character state, "My head sings and simmers like a pot of chowder"

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
One of my favorite soups is clam chowder - Rhode Island Red. It always goes good with clam cakes.

This one comes from my wife's grandmother. And no, its not Manhattan chowder. Difficult to make here in Florida because quahog clams are not readily available.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Never had much of a soup game until we got the Instant Pot. Now I can do a decent chili and our new favorite soup - Sausage and Kale. It's great, even better the next day. There are a bunch of different recipes out there. My tips are to use frozen potatoes and put the kale in before the pressure, not after. And adjust your seasonings after a good stir!

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Ok, when out I go with a clam or fish chowder, most often. The Black Pearl, mentioned earlier, very good. The clam chowder Bella's Putnam was the best sadly now closed. Homemade we make a few that are very good, pasta fazool (fagoli, very good at Illianos), manest (simple, meaty pork bones, garlic, onions, escarol sp, navy beans topped with Italian cheese. We also save poultry carcasses, to make soup, from grilled, smoked, roasted, rotisserie, can be and have used chicken, turkey, duck, Cornish hens, the combination of flavors, also most time also made with escarole. Prosciutto and provolone, crusty bread.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
So many references:

Where did corn chowder originate?

The word chowder is a corruption of the French chaudière (“cauldron”), and chowder may have originated among Breton fishermen who brought the custom to Newfoundland, whence it spread to Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and New England.

Who invented corn soup?
National Geographic asserts that cultivation of corn soup most likely started in some parts of Mexico approximately 10,000 years ago

Where did chicken corn soup originated?
Settlers from fishing villages in Europe that immigrated "across the pond" brought this tradition with them and it has carried on since. The corn comes from the Native Americans that grew corn and made corn soup.

Chowder was not utterly unfamiliar in England at the time, as in Sir Launcelot Greaves (1762) Tobias Smollett has one character state, "My head sings and simmers like a pot of chowder"
Have you stumbled upon the origin of the term "chowderhead" ? ;)

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul