OT: - Best scrambled eggs - your recipe or eating out | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Best scrambled eggs - your recipe or eating out

Reaction Score
Same $5.99 for Pete & Gerry’s and Nellie’s here. I first bought them when they were 2/$8 and they were so good I started buying them regularly. I think eggs are a nutrient rich food and are something worth paying for. I’m also a huge believer in grass fed beef, much more satisfying while eating far less. We buy organic chicken too, but we will get by with “regular” chicken when organic is unavailable or outrageously priced.

I am finding that meat, eggs and milk really need to be very high quality for me to enjoy them anymore. I love the taste of the the organic grass fed milks now on the market. The good stuff tastes like food tasted before industry ruined it all.

Reaction Score
You don't need farm fresh eggs.

You can't tell the difference blind. Really. At least between American small farms and American supermarket eggs.

Well, your brain might trick you into thinking you can tell a difference and then perceive the results as better. The orange yolks mentioned here is an example of that. People rate orange yolks as tasting better. But they also rate orange food colored supermarket yolks as tasting better.

So you can get farm fresh eggs or you can have your partner put orange food coloring in. Either one works.

Ethical and moral concerns are separate and valid, of course.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Yard never ceases to amaze me. A scrambled eggs thread is still going 4 days in....

Reaction Score
You don't need farm fresh eggs.

You can't tell the difference blind. Really. At least between American small farms and American supermarket eggs.

Yeah this is objectively wrong.

Anyway, in cooking scrambled eggs, the secret is low heat and not to overcook. Cook slowly, and stir constantly. Beating in the pan vs. separately doesn't really matter -- I find doing it vigorously in a separate pan makes them fluffier.

Reaction Score

Anyway, in cooking scrambled eggs, the secret is low heat and not to overcook. Cook slowly, and stir constantly. Beating in the pan vs. separately doesn't really matter -- I find doing it vigorously in a separate pan makes them fluffier.

Here's my source. Read the thread and the replies if you'd like:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The Yard never ceases to amaze me. A scrambled eggs thread is still going 4 days in....
That's because there are still folks out there who think they can cook better than a 3-star Michelin chef.

Reaction Score

Another little trick is use a little seltzer water to make them light and fluffy, same for your meatballs.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Another little trick is use a little seltzer water to make them light and fluffy, same for your meatballs.

thats actually THE trick for Latkes.

Reaction Score
You can tell the difference in quality, fresh eggs. The color is related to what the chickens are eating. I’ve had fresh, free range eggs with very pale yellow yolks that were outstanding too. The key is the chickens free ranging and eating what nature intended rather than just chicken feed while stuck in a small pen.

Reaction Score
You can tell the difference in quality, fresh eggs. The color is related to what the chickens are eating. I’ve had fresh, free range eggs with very pale yellow yolks that were outstanding too. The key is the chickens free ranging and eating what nature intended rather than just chicken feed while stuck in a small pen.

Blind taste tests show that overwhelming majority of people cannot tell the difference between farm fresh, organic, or free range eggs blind. And of the small minority that can, some of that portion prefer supermarket eggs unknowingly anyways. Which means the portion of people that can both tell AND prefer them when blind is tiny. So, no, sorry, you probably can't tell the difference in quality, fresh eggs on just the taste alone.

BUT your brain does perceives a difference in quality anyways, that doesn't actually exist. Psychology of taste (and most things) is HIGHLY, highly susceptible. So just the fact that you approve of the circumstances of the product will make you like it more. And higher investment in a product (monetarily, time, etc.) will make you like it more, too. There's been a million studies on this. The color is one big influence for eggs, but so is the free range aspect. So even though those eggs were paler, you still got some juicy brain chemicals flowing for the free range and farm fresh concepts.

So here's the thing. Do they taste better to you? Yes, I bet they do. If you didn't know they were farm fresh eggs but they were would they still have tasted as good? Likely not. But in this case, the lie may as well be the truth, since that's what you perceive.

Reaction Score
I’m glad you are convinced of this but people literally comment on how great eggs taste when given fresh, free range eggs. A few years ago I unknowingly had some at my in-laws. The eggs my mother in law served me were so good I had to ask what the secret was. Turned out that my brother in law, who lives near them, had gotten a few chickens and these were his eggs. They graze his 5 acres all day long.

The first time I had a fresh, free range egg was on my great uncle’s dairy farm in upstate New York in the late 70’s. I was a little kid, maybe 5-6 years old, and I hated eggs. Eggs made me vomit. I woke up early and my aunt was making bacon and eggs and convinced me to try “her” eggs. I loved them and talked about them for years. The most buttery, fresh and mild smelling eggs ever.

Cheap grocery store eggs often smell strong, even if they taste ok. Granted, there are good tasting, run of the mill grocery store eggs but the better raised eggs are consistently more tasty and mild smelling.

Reaction Score
I’m glad you are convinced of this but people literally comment on how great eggs taste when given fresh, free range eggs. A few years ago I unknowingly had some at my in-laws. The eggs my mother in law served me were so good I had to ask what the secret was. Turned out that my brother in law, who lives near them, had gotten a few chickens and these were his eggs. They graze his 5 acres all day long.

The first time I had a fresh, free range egg was on my great uncle’s dairy farm in upstate New York in the late 70’s. I was a little kid, maybe 5-6 years old, and I hated eggs. Eggs made me vomit. I woke up early and my aunt was making bacon and eggs and convinced me to try “her” eggs. I loved them and talked about them for years. The most buttery, fresh and mild smelling eggs ever.

Cheap grocery store eggs often smell strong, even if they taste ok. Granted, there are good tasting, run of the mill grocery store eggs but the better raised eggs are consistently more tasty and mild smelling.
It's the color obviously. You're obsessed with orange, probably a closet Cuse fan. Jk

Reaction Score
What else is there to do, but to ruminate on a basic culinary item in these pandemic days?

Reaction Score
Blind taste tests show that overwhelming majority of people cannot tell the difference between farm fresh, organic, or free range eggs blind. And of the small minority that can, some of that portion prefer supermarket eggs unknowingly anyways. Which means the portion of people that can both tell AND prefer them when blind is tiny. So, no, sorry, you probably can't tell the difference in quality, fresh eggs on just the taste alone.

BUT your brain does perceives a difference in quality anyways, that doesn't actually exist. Psychology of taste (and most things) is HIGHLY, highly susceptible. So just the fact that you approve of the circumstances of the product will make you like it more. And higher investment in a product (monetarily, time, etc.) will make you like it more, too. There's been a million studies on this. The color is one big influence for eggs, but so is the free range aspect. So even though those eggs were paler, you still got some juicy brain chemicals flowing for the free range and farm fresh concepts.

So here's the thing. Do they taste better to you? Yes, I bet they do. If you didn't know they were farm fresh eggs but they were would they still have tasted as good? Likely not. But in this case, the lie may as well be the truth, since that's what you perceive.
Perception is everything. What we see as one color is really a mixture of two different colors.

Reaction Score
I’m glad you are convinced of this but people literally comment on how great eggs taste when given fresh, free range eggs.

Yes, it's convincing when someone cooks hundreds of eggs of different types, in several different ways, for a hundred people, in a double blind format, and the results show that the vast majority of people can't tell them apart.

Reaction Score
Jeff King & Besselink made me ❤ UConn hoops. They gave 100% for Calhoun!
Yes, it's convincing when someone cooks hundreds of eggs of different types, in several different ways, for a hundred people, in a double blind format, and the results show that the vast majority of people can't tell them apart.

You suck.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
In Scotland, they had the decency to call it "black" pudding.

Thankfully, when I was there, I was doing a ton of walking every day. Not a breakfast that sits lightly in one's gut. But it was delicious. Typically 2 eggs, two bangers, two rashers, a slice each of lorne sausage and black pudding, 2 slices tomato, 2-3 cooked whole white mushrooms, a side of baked beans, and toast. With lousy coffee.

Love that breakfast. Tomatoes, shrooms and beans. Mix up that yolk and sip it up with the toast. Bangers and country bacon to boot.

Reaction Score
Sorry about that.

You can believe what you want. Good news is that the truth is your mother in law probably makes some killer eggs.

Ha. You sent me on a quest for knowledge and all results led to the fact that free range eggs taste better, have more nutrients and more orange yolks. Just not sure where your info is coming from. Either way, I can’t argue about eggs anymore. Kind of embarrassing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom