Best Sandwich in Connecticut | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Best Sandwich in Connecticut

Reaction Score
I think Aura’s son does most of the cooking now. Oddly enough the other restaurant I mentioned, The White Horse, used to be the Marbledale Pub which she also owned.

Nothing against the Marbledale Pub but whoever bought it from her has really turned the place around, The White Horse is one of the better restaurants on the western side of the state.
Agreed

Reaction Score
The drunken croque monsieur at white horse is excellent, most of their sandwiches are.
That's a nice spot. Good pub food that goes beyond your typical pub/tavern, huge menu, really cozy inside for the winter months, great deck outside on the brook when the weather is warmer.

Reaction Score
What constitutes a sandwich? If we are opening it up to grinders, I nominate Ted's Cheeseburg Grinder (now called the "Ultimate Burger Grinder", which I believe is also the name of the villain in Santa Claus Is Coming to Town.)

(FWIW, Connecticut also has superior grinders (Hogies, Subs etc.))
In 1987 at 2am that was the hands down winner!!!

Reaction Score
Call me cheap but I'm not spending 10 bucks for a sandwich.I prefer to go to Aldi for their wide selection of grapes if I'm going to stuff my face,boring but healthy
Your cheap

Reaction Score
I apologize to my sandwich eating friends.I veered off topic a little bit by saying I prefer eating fruit before I spend 10 bucks for an unhealthy sandwich.I didn't mean to upset my dictator friends feelings and others as well.Theres a lot of sensitive folks here.I will be more aware of what I post next time so as not to hurt anybody's feelings
That’s more like it

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Fruit Salad Wiggles GIF by As The Bunny Hops

Reaction Score
Alpen Pantry in Old Greenwich, CT is the sandwich shop that first taught me that a sandwich could be part of a well-crafted meal. Helped change me from a picky-eating preteen boy to the food loving man I am today. I've been going there for 25 years and it hasn't changed a bit. Same owner, Gary, (hilarious, great at reading crowds...when it's just me and him he says the funniest stuff), same quality (meats and breads shipped in daily from Manhattan).

Can't go wrong with anything there, but as a mostly non-meat eater nowadays, I fully treat myself with the Bomber: buttery thinly sliced rare roast beef, blue cheese spread, shredded lettuce, thinly sliced tomato on a super soft pumpernickel bread. My favorite turkey sandwich is their Russian: same sandwich as above, but with turkey instead of beef and Russian spread instead of blue. Great seafood spreads too.

Introduced Alpen to my in-laws and whenever they visit from out west they request it for lunch daily even though we're a 25 minute drive.

Pro tip: order ahead. The sandwich will more carefully prepared and the owner will give you props.

My favorite sandwich shop in Norwalk is Dilly Duck. Right on the Wilton border on Route 7.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe it changed hands or closed and reopened but I definitely ate there 3 days ago
Oh good. I just Googled it and it looks the same with the same menu. For some reason I had thought it closed.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
More like you're cheap.
im cheap, too. im also very likely not to leave the sack, be it sleeping or, umm, otherwise, on any days when i just don't want to. see how that works?
'The term Yankee can have many different meanings within the United States that are contextually and geographically dependent. Traditionally, Yankee was most often used to refer to a New Englander descended from the original settlers of the region , thus often suggesting Puritanism and thrifty values.'
better living thru independence. live free or die.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom