Best Runs in UConn History | The Boneyard

Best Runs in UConn History

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
2010 Maui vs UK 23-2? To end the half. Kemba flashing that smile after banging back to back 3's then dropping the dime on Jamal Coombs-McDaniel before AO swats the leather off the ball before the buzzer.

10-0 opener against GTown at the Civy during husky mania.

Dallas comeback against Florida.

What else you got?

Reaction Score
I know the 1999 run against St. John's is always talked about but I don't have a clear memory of it.

The comeback against Florida being down 4-16 was huge.

The biggest for me though was 2004 Duke. Down 67-75 with 3 minutes to go, they went on 12-0 run to close out the game (Duhon hit that buzzer 3).

Reaction Score
I think Kemba scored like 12 straight points against Notre Dame on senior day right after Ben Hansbrough fouled out. Everything that came after - and the fact that we lost - kind of causes people to forget how big a deal this game was at the time. I haven't remembered many regular season games where there was more adrenaline flowing than there was in the second half of that one.

Also in the category of games people forget: 2014 @ USF. We were down like 10 to a putrid USF team and the season appeared to be slipping away before our eyes when we rattled off like a 21-0 run w/ Samuel, Boat, and Bazz on the floor at once for the first time.

Reaction Score
I think Kemba scored like 12 straight points against Notre Dame on senior day right after Ben Hansbrough fouled out. Everything that came after - and the fact that we lost - kind of causes people to forget how big a deal this game was at the time. I haven't remembered many regular season games where there was more adrenaline flowing than there was in the second half of that one.

Also in the category of games people forget: 2014 @ USF. We were down like 10 to a putrid USF team and the season appeared to be slipping away before our eyes when we rattled off like a 21-0 run w/ Samuel, Boat, and Bazz on the floor at once for the first time.
The ND home loss was deflating as hell. It seemed like our season had spiraled out of control, think we lost 5 out of 6 to close the regular season. Depaul in the first round of the Big East tourny was the perfect remedy.

Reaction Score
I was at Gampel in 2004 for the most dominating stretch I witnessed. Against Oklahoma, which came in 10-0 and ranked No. 6, the Huskies went on a 29-5 run to turn a 7-5 deficit into a 34-12 lead. It was amazing basketball, and the place was going nuts.

(I looked up the details to make sure the specifics were correct, but I couldn't forget the dominanace).

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I was at Gampel in 2004 for the most dominating stretch I witnessed. Against Oklahoma, which came in 10-0 and ranked No. 6, the Huskies went on a 29-5 run to turn a 7-5 deficit into a 34-12 lead. It was amazing basketball, and the place was going nuts.

(I looked up the details to make sure the specifics were correct, but I couldn't forget the dominanace).
Camped out for that game. Sub freezing temps. Worth it.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The best run in UConn history was beating BS College like a rented mule from 1988 until 2001 in men's basketball. The women's team lost to them a couple of times during that stretch.

Reaction Score
I don't know numbers or anything, but basically the whole second half against Texas at Gampel when they were #1. Felt like every play down the floor we forced a turnover that led to a dunk, which led to a time out and the crowd getting even crazier each time.

Reaction Score
I don't remember what kind of run it was, but that first half against Alabama in the 2004 Elite 8 might have been the best half I've seen UConn play. Especially for a big, important game. Rashad Anderson and Ben Gordon were huge that game. I remember Rashad blowing on his fingers like they were on fire late in the first half after another 3 pointer. I knew after that game nobody was going to stop them on the way to the championship. Of course Duke almost did but the Huskies pulled it out.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Yes this is a great one. Even though we lost, I re-watched it after I got home and the announcers were fantastic.

"Kemba could use a little help offensively..maybe not! Kemba with the pull up! And knocks it in!!"

Everyone was losing their minds that game.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Top 2 IMO b/c of the stakes of the game, when in the game it happened, quality of opposition and what it meant for our program:

1. 12-0 run in 2004 Final Four v. Duke
2. 12-0 run in 1996 BET v. Georgetown

Could also arguably throw in the game-opening run in the 1999 BET final (I think it was 11-0) against a really good St. John's team. We ended that game – which everyone swore would be close – before the first TV timeout.

Best regular-season run... with all due respect to what Khalid did at Pitt, it's got to be 16-0 to open the game against Georgetown at the Civic Center in 1990.

Reaction Score
Boat totally destroyed Wilbekin, poor guy is still probably having nightmares about Boat.

Boat ruined Wilbekin and Keith Appling... I actually felt bad for Appling as he was so badly exposed.

Reaction Score

That was one of the ones I was thinking of. I was a student and OU brought some fans that we mercilessly taunted for the first 15 minutes or so before it was over.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
One that nobody (except me) remembers is a 21-4 run against Vandy in 2001-2002. Sick stuff...

Including a throw down by "Johnnie Time" Selvie!

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Love me some Johnnie Time. Somehow he is a joke but he is better than anything we have had in 5 or 6 years.

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Johnnie Time, and you're right, our post players over the past few seasons could have learned a few things from him. At least he was tough as nails and came to play with a lunch pail attitude. He was also funny as hell.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom