Best Rock n' Roll Piano Performers | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Best Rock n' Roll Piano Performers

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I saw Billy Payne several times with Little Feat while Lowell George was still alive and he was fantastic. He could do it all. Ben Tench is outstanding as well, but for strict piano Payne was outstanding. PIck up some old LIttle Feat albums. All you have to do is look at Payne's list of album's played on to realize how highly regarded he is/was.

I crossed off Billy Payne because I noticed he was previously mentioned upthread by ADub after my original post (of keyboardists not previously mentioned), not because I think he sucks.

I know it's probably too much to ask someone to follow an entire thread, but did you really think someone would post a guys name on a list, then cross him off, to indicate he stinks, rather than not include him at all?

Thanks for the lecture :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Garth Hudson - The Band. So good, the other guys in the band had to pay him for music lessons.

Now on the progressive side of the music scene.
Adam Holzman - Steve Wilson's band
Danny Manners - Big Big Train
Rick Wakeman, Tony Banks, and Keith Emerson have already been mentioned.
Neal Morse
Kerry Minnear - Gentle Giant
John Evans - Jethro Tull
Peter Bardens - Camel
There are hundreds of other keyboardists on the progressive side of the musical spectrum that are unbelievably talented, but their music typically does not get heard for various reasons, (no radio play, songs too long, etc). Rant over.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I caught Little Feat last winter. I was really looking forward to it but they sucked. Just mailed it in. I was getting spoiled, it had been 5 years since a show that bad (BB King).

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Garth Hudson - The Band. So good, the other guys in the band had to pay him for music lessons.

Not saying Garth isn't great, but the music lesson story is what he told his parents as his excuse for being with The Hawks (precursor to The Band) initially, because he didn't want them to think he was wasting his formal music education by playing in a rock band.

I caught Little Feat last winter. I was really looking forward to it but they sucked. Just mailed it in. I was getting spoiled, it had been 5 years since a show that bad (BB King).
They are terrible now, sadly, but that's because they are only a shadow of the former band. Losing Paul Barrere was, or should have been, the end of the band.

Reaction Score
Not saying Garth isn't great, but the music lesson story is what he told his parents as his excuse for being with The Hawks (precursor to The Band) initially, because he didn't want them to think he was wasting his formal music education by playing in a rock band.

They are terrible now, sadly, but that's because they are only a shadow of the former band. Losing Paul Barrere was, or should have been, the end of the band.

Yep, Little Feat without Lowell, Barrere and Richie Hayward is not an act.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom