Best Pizza in Florida | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best Pizza in Florida

Reaction Score
Heading to Fla for the first time this winter for an extended period of time. Nice to know you can get a piece of "pie" somewhere:

Bad news. Prob in Jupiter/Wellington for the first month or two for biz reasons.. Fancy folks don't lean towards pie.

Recommendations appreciated..
Fantini’s New Haven Style Apizza in Stuart.

Reaction Score
Is Colony as good as The Italian Store pizza in Arlington?
Italian Store Pizza is top notch, but it’s traditional. Nino’s White Pizza is a favorite of mine. The Capri sandwich with fresh mozzarella is incomparable

Tough to compare Colony Arlington bar pizza to the traditional stuff. Both are good in their own way, and depending on my mood either would be a more than satisfactory choice.

So no one thinks I’m hijacking the thread, FL pizza generally sucks. I lived there for 8 years, and the closest pizza I found to Tri-State quality was Del Dio in Orlando, likely because the owner is a NY transplant.

Reaction Score
I grew up in Stamford. I know Bobo's daughter. Colony is sauce from a can and pre-grated cheese. Anyone in the land of apizza who thinks Colony it's more than a base for a bunch of beers or cocktails is either nuts, drinking too much or hitting the bong or crack pipe too hard. Give me Mario's or John the Baker over Colony any day.
Remo's Margherita always and forever.

Reaction Score
Best pizza I had during my time in the Tampa Bay area was at Eddie and Sam’s. I believe they ship in NY water which is key. It’s like a 7.8 and not comparable to the best in CT or NY but you take what you can get down there!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Pizza is the easiest thing on earth to cook after a lobster roll.

I am quite sure you can find a great pizza in all 50 states and nearly every country.

Reaction Score
The “best” pizza in Floriduh is as good as the worst pizza in Hartford.
I moved from NYC to Floriyuck in my late teens which was my prime pizza consumption age and went through a deep depression.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A couple of things:

I have to basically agree with Kibbe and Vegas. I've lived in Stamford for all but a handful of the (not quite) 61years I've been alive, likely had my first Colony pizza while JFK was still alive and from my oldest memory until at least the mid 1980s one of the pictures hanging on the wall on the bar side had my uncle and a few of his friends sitting in a booth in the early-mid 1950s. That said, I don't classify what they serve at Colony as a pizza when compared to a true pizzeria any more than I would classify cooking sherry as a wine. Technically it does qualify but it is an entirely different type.

What will they do about the water in Florida? It won't be financially feasible to use bottled water to make the dough and there is no way to eliminate the "Florida" aftertaste in their tap water if that is how they make the dough.

There are family friends who ran quality Italian restaurants (most came over as adults) who have attempted restaurants in a few parts of Florida (Ft Lauderdale, St Pete, Orlando) and given up at an economic loss entirely because they couldn't use tap water for anything they prepared. That ingredient is immensely important.

Reaction Score
Il panificio on main in Sarasota.
Bocco lupa is stepping it up too. Fact is the joke is kind of over and northerners are opening up pizzerias down here.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Spring 2022 is the release date for the latest from the author of the book pictured below.

"Where a Toddler Tosses Pizza" tells of an amazing partnership between the FSU Child Development Center and Food & Shelter of Leon County, where young children cook and those without homes dine & serve 'pay-as-you-are able' meals to everyone from the indigent to year's Seminoles homecoming queen and high-level Sunshine State politicos.
Screenshot_20211031-223046.png

I am quite sure you can find a great pizza in all 50 states and nearly every country.

You could quoting from the press kit for the PBS show," Where in the World is Waldo Pepperoni? "

Reaction Score
Rocco's Pizza Restaurant in Spring Hill, Florida is the closest you'll get to anything close to the northeast.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

My wife, a native Pittsburgher, compares Colony pizza to what she made as a kid on an Easy-Bake Oven.

While her taste in pizza has improved over the past 20 years of being with me, I do need to remind folks that while we were still dating, syhe insisted I HAD TO try Beto's (and BY veterans know better than to click that link).

Colony isn't "pizza" in the same way that Pepe's/Sally's/Modern is pizza. But, it's something I crave whenever I go back to CT. And I grew up in walking distance to Amore, one of the better "traditional" pizza places in Stamford. And I don't apologize for that.

Reaction Score
My wife, a native Pittsburgher, compares Colony pizza to what she made as a kid on an Easy-Bake Oven.

While her taste in pizza has improved over the past 20 years of being with me, I do need to remind folks that while we were still dating, syhe insisted I HAD TO try Beto's (and BY veterans know better than to click that link).

Colony isn't "pizza" in the same way that Pepe's/Sally's/Modern is pizza. But, it's something I crave whenever I go back to CT. And I grew up in walking distance to Amore, one of the better "traditional" pizza places in Stamford. And I don't apologize for that.
Lived in Stamford for 4 decades, went to Colony once, would rather go to Pizza Hut. Amore was far superior as is Sergio’s.

I think most end up liking the pizza they grew up with, for me that was Pepe’s, Modern and Ernie’s, Jimmie’s of Savin Rock for all other food groups.

Reaction Score
My son lives in Astoria. We ate at a couple places: The best pizza was at a place called Slice. Milkflower was also really good. Kraveit made really weird and creative pizzas.

We ate at Modern in New Haven and Rossini's in Cheshire, as well. I told people they need to appreciate how lucky they are. Pizza isn't nearly that good in the Southwest.

Do you know Queens? My 26-year-old and his girlfriend love Queens. Born and raised in Cheshire, he is a full-throated NYer now.

live in Astoria now. Will have to give some of those places a try. There's a place near me called Macolleta thats real good.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Heading to Fla for the first time this winter for an extended period of time. Nice to know you can get a piece of "pie" somewhere:
Bad news. Prob in Jupiter/Wellington for the first month or two for biz reasons.. Fancy folks don't lean towards pie.
Not pizza but try Captain Charlie's Reef Grill in Juno Beach for seafood. We saw Keith Hernandez there.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm down with the New Haven pizza is best concept. But I've had good pizza in many places. Hell, had really good pizza in Normandy and the Loire valley. The Neapolitan style we like isn't exactly novel and unique. I do believe Italians have immigrated to places other than New Haven and non Italians can make pizza just fine. Just about the only regional food I've never seen truly replicated elsewhere is San Francisco sourdough.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
A couple of things:

I have to basically agree with Kibbe and Vegas. I've lived in Stamford for all but a handful of the (not quite) 61years I've been alive, likely had my first Colony pizza while JFK was still alive and from my oldest memory until at least the mid 1980s one of the pictures hanging on the wall on the bar side had my uncle and a few of his friends sitting in a booth in the early-mid 1950s. That said, I don't classify what they serve at Colony as a pizza when compared to a true pizzeria any more than I would classify cooking sherry as a wine. Technically it does qualify but it is an entirely different type.

What will they do about the water in Florida? It won't be financially feasible to use bottled water to make the dough and there is no way to eliminate the "Florida" aftertaste in their tap water if that is how they make the dough.

There are family friends who ran quality Italian restaurants (most came over as adults) who have attempted restaurants in a few parts of Florida (Ft Lauderdale, St Pete, Orlando) and given up at an economic loss entirely because they couldn't use tap water for anything they prepared. That ingredient is immensely important.
Tap water here has a high salt content and tastes like dirt. Its not as bad as Phoenix AZ though where the majority of tap water is reclaimed waste water.

Reaction Score

Palm Beach County is essentially Westchester County South. You won’t have any trouble finding good Pizza/Italian or bagels/deli

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Tap water here has a high salt content and tastes like dirt. Its not as bad as Phoenix AZ though where the majority of tap water is reclaimed waste water.
With 21st C filtration, osmosis and chemical analysis, you should be able to replicate Brooklyn water anywhere in the world.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Palm Beach County is essentially Westchester County South. You won’t have any trouble finding good Pizza/Italian or bagels/deli

As they say in the peninsula, the further south you go, the further north you end up.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Last night we went to a soft opening at the new Colony Grill in St. Pete. Finally we will be able to get good pizza and I will go out on a limb that Colony is the best pizza in Florida. Three onions, one sausage and mushroom, one sausage and onion and one salad pizza. None of them disappointed. Colony also opened in Arlington Va and is also opening another Colony in Tampa. Oh and for those of you experienced with Colony we did not order a hot oil pie. Our 70 year old GI tracts can't handle them any more.
From where you live....

Christinos, on Fort Harrison, is pretty good, coal fired oven pizza.

Slyce on IRB is very good. Excellent calzones.

My more recent "go-to" is Amicis on West Bay.

Reaction Score

Honestly Fishy, that seems logical. But the flavor profiles down here in Texas are just different. Went to an Italian restaurant in Wylie called Napoli's; It seemed like a good Italian/Northeast name.

The owner was from Brooklyn and was the son of a long-time restauranteur in the NYC area. What he explained to me was that almost every recipe's taste/flavor profile (from the Brooklyn restaurant) had to be altered to sell in TX.

Another irony: in the entire DFW metro there is only one true Italian store -- a place called Jimmy's close to downtown Dallas. That is it. If you want traditional Italian products like San Marino tomatoes, or quality provolone or Genoa, that are virtually no other choices. The place is old and beat up and almost ways busy. Holidays as you might expect are nuts with outside waits of an hour just to get inside

There are specialty stores for every cuisine in spades in Dallas. Polish, Ghanian, Peruvian, etc. But only one Italian. Just seems illogical to me.

We have found a couple Italian restaurants we like, but finding them has taken time. There is no pizza I can say I really enjoy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom