OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 43 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
This is like saying your favorite Chineese food is American Chop Suey. Once you put an adjective in front of pizza (really apizza) it stops being pizza. Greek, deep dish, it doesn't matter. You are free to like it. But it doesnt belong here. Start your own thread. But this is thirty-something pages of pizza, which is not Greek.

Reaction Score
George's Pizza in Unionville: Greek and Great. You anti-Greekers can blow it out your portholes.
There is no such thing as great Greek pizza. It might taste very good, but it can never be great. Sorry, that is simply the way it is.

Reaction Score
There is no such thing as great Greek pizza. It might taste very good, but it can never be great. Sorry, that is simply the way it is.

it's not just great Greek pizza, it's great pizza Period.

oK3F3qv.jpg

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
We have one of those newfangled Cumby's in our town. My kids are keen on their milkshakes but I've never walked in the door yet. I feel compelled in the name of research to check this pizza out. But it will not be at 3 a.m.

Hmm. I've got one less than 5 minutes away. Maybe I'll have to partake sometime soon.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
@Deepster ...you could't tabulate the votes while you were at it?

Reaction Score
Cromwell Pizza and Pasta opened up a couple months ago and so far so good. They have a great hot oil pie!

Reaction Score

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
So we have one of the new fangled Cumberland farms in Deep river. Its a good store. I have the 2 hot dog for 2 dollar deal for lunch once a week to save money for better lunches on other days. I pay attention to their Pizza's The topping offerings for the Pizza. They take a cheese pizza bring it around to the hot dog fixings bar and use that for toppings.

That being said, I rate it slightly higher than the best Greek Pizza.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
So we have one of the new fangled Cumberland farms in Deep river. Its a good store. I have the 2 hot dog for 2 dollar deal for lunch once a week to save money for better lunches on other days. I pay attention to their Pizza's The topping offerings for the Pizza. They take a cheese pizza bring it around to the hot dog fixings bar and use that for toppings.

Reaction Score
This is like saying your favorite Chineese food is American Chop Suey. Once you put an adjective in front of pizza (really apizza) it stops being pizza. Greek, deep dish, it doesn't matter. You are free to like it. But it doesnt belong here. Start your own thread. But this is thirty-something pages of pizza, which is not Greek.

Apizza is just an AKA for "New Haven Style" Pizza. It's true, you can look it up here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Haven-style_pizza It's the first search result in google when you search for Apizza. Given that, you are contradicting yourself when you say it stops being pizza when you put an adjective in front of pizza. Apizza is simply another style of pizza. The last time I checked, the thread was not started by you, and the topic is NOT "Best Apizza in CT", so I'm not sure why you say it is specific to Apizza. Perhaps you should start a new Apizza thread if you are unhappy with Greek (AKA New England Style - you can look that one up too) Style Pizza being mentioned here.

Reaction Score
I love Greek style pizza. But truer words were never spoken. You cannot reheat it.

For great Greek pizza you cannot beat Jordans pizza in Norwalk. I also really like Town and Country in New Britain.[/QUO
I was wondering who liked that Greek crap and now I know.:)

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Apizza is just an AKA for "New Haven Style" Pizza. It's true, you can look it up here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Haven-style_pizza It's the first search result in google when you search for Apizza. Given that, you are contradicting yourself when you say it stops being pizza when you put an adjective in front of pizza. Apizza is simply another style of pizza. The last time I checked, the thread was not started by you, and the topic is NOT "Best Apizza in CT", so I'm not sure why you say it is specific to Apizza. Perhaps you should start a new Apizza thread if you are unhappy with Greek (AKA New England Style - you can look that one up too) Style Pizza being mentioned here.

Are square slices a defining characteristic of "New England Style?" For the record I'd never seen a round pizza cut into square slices until I moved to Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Are square slices a defining characteristic of "New England Style?" For the record I'd never seen a round pizza cut into square slices until I moved to Connecticut.
That's a Midwest thing, they do that at a lot of places out here in Chicago, I've never once seen it done in CT.

Reaction Score

I don't know if it's a defining characteristic or not, but it is fairly common.

While growing up in Eastern Connecticut, all we ever had available were mom and pop Pizza and Hot Oven Grinder shops. I only knew of pizza being sliced into squares - at least large pizza. Strangely the small pizzas are sliced traditionally into wedges. I was fascinated when I watched a TV program and the large pizzas were sliced into wedges as it was foreign to me. It wasn't until some of the major chains moved into the area that pizza was cut into wedges.

With squares, you end up with a variety of different slices. 4 small corner wedges that are mostly crust, 8 square slices with crust on one side, and 4 middle slices with no crust at all. As kids we disliked the crust, so we would fight over the middle 4 slices. When I make my own pizza, I slice into wedges.

Reaction Score
Cromwell Pizza and Pasta opened up a couple months ago and so far so good. They have a great hot oil pie!

Just went there for the first time last week as I did not know it existed. Instantly the best pizza in Cromwell. I've never had a hot oil pizza... Will have to pick one up one of these days.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

No. It is from Naples. It is not a style of Pizza. It is the original. And anywhere in Italy, apizza means pie. Which is why many Americans redundantly call it "pizza pie". But Apizza or pizza are Italian and that kind of defines it.

You just discovered on google that New Haven was in a direct line to Italy, and used the correct name before it was Americanized to pizza. Sorry if I offended you in my going overboard. But Pizza comes from Italy, and New Haven is about the best example of that concept. Pizza has nothing to do with Greeks or New England style. They are allowed to make it, of course. But it is like saying American Chop Suey is the best Chop Suey. You may love it. But it is not really chop suey and it is not Chineese.

Reaction Score

The Cumbys pizza is pretty nasty, however, I'd still say it's better than Dominos and is pretty cheap. In a pinch, a $1 slice does the trick. I used to stop there after gigs and pick up a slice and it was perfect.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
boog204 said:
The Cumbys pizza is pretty nasty, however, I'd still say it's better than Dominos and is pretty cheap. In a pinch, a $1 slice does the trick. I used to stop there after gigs and pick up a slice and it was perfect.

So since we are in cumbys topic, I just got home from filling gas as deep river one again and they had a new food item:
buffalo wings!
All they need is to start selling rolling rock and they can be the official yard food stop.

Reaction Score
I took my parents to Roseland in Derby tonight to see how it stacked up against the New Haven trio of Pepe's, Sally's and Modern. It was good, but not great. It was also by far the most expensive pizza place I have ever been to. About 20% more expensive than the big three. Been there, done that, won't be going back.

Reaction Score
I took my parents to Roseland in Derby tonight to see how it stacked up against the New Haven trio of Pepe's, Sally's and Modern. It was good, but not great. It was also by far the most expensive pizza place I have ever been to. About 20% more expensive than the big three. Been there, done that, won't be going back.
I went to that place years ago with my pops and it seemed outrageously expensive, especially considering it's not exactly fine dining.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Their Seafood Pizza is very expensive, but loaded with fresh scallops, lobster and shrimp and probably the best signature item on the menu. I agree that their pizza otherwise is good not great, but they do have some good, unique specials like escarole and bean pizza. Their fresh pasta entrees are a better deal imo--they are huge and very good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom