OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 276 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
The lack of a handle is troubling.
Some find the handle distracting, like tinsel. I will admit a center cut does lend itself to committing the 5-minute major of pizza eating: the fork. pizza and snickers bars.

Reaction Score
I can read you did not describe a Utica pie

There is NO CHESSE BETWEEN THE DOUGH AND THE SAIUCE - why dont people post something they know something about.

man be accurate seriously - how do i know about Utica pie a friends family owns the best known place for pie in Utica - besides spending a lot of time there still

Get it right man
Oh I’ve got it right. But keep telling me your version if it makes your happy.

F20ADD86-2771-4924-98A2-D2C482D3DEE2.jpeg

Reaction Score
If we are talking Greek pizza, I got a few spots.

I really liked Wilson’s in Windsor back in college. That was my buddies favorite hometown spot. Old McDonald’s building so they made the M a W lol

Also I grew up with Tommy’s in Middletown. Long gone but that was my childhood spot. My grandparents brought that home all the time. Bomb calzones too.

Reaction Score
Does anyone like those Greek pizza middle slices?
I'm not that picky about the shape of the slices that I eat. Middle slices aren't the first slices that I eat due to being too hot but I will eat them.

Reaction Score
Oh I’ve got it right. But keep telling me your version if it makes your happy.

View attachment 87989
I’ve had the pie from that place when my daughter visited Utica College. What a tasteless sloppy mess. And the place was filthy with meth heads hanging out all over the parking lot. Thumb way down.

Reaction Score
If we are talking Greek pizza, I got a few spots.

I really liked Wilson’s in Windsor back in college. That was my buddies favorite hometown spot. Old McDonald’s building so they made the M a W lol

Also I grew up with Tommy’s in Middletown. Long gone but that was my childhood spot. My grandparents brought that home all the time. Bomb calzones too.
Wilson’s has new owners now. Not the same pizza anymore. The old owners may have landed somewhere else but I’m not recalling it right now. Wilson’s was really good in the day. Best Greek pie I’ve ever had.

Reaction Score
That’s a “Utica Style” pie, otherwise known as an upside down pizza or tomato pie (different than the south Jersey tomato pie). I’ve had a few examples of the style in the Utica area. Some are circular, many are made rectangular in a thicker pan style, and many are served at room temp. Cheese on the bottom, chunky tomato sauce and pecorino on top. It’s solid when made well.
Room temperature pizza with tool temp sauce on top?

That just does not sound appetizing at all.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Wilson’s has new owners now. Not the same pizza anymore. The old owners may have landed somewhere else but I’m not recalling it right now. Wilson’s was really good in the day. Best Greek pie I’ve ever had.

It was very good greek. We used to have band rehearsals right down the street from there and would always pick up a couple for break time. The last time was a couple years ago after the owner change and no it wasn't the same. They (the new owners , I guess the old owners are their cousins supposedly) claim it is the same recipe and everything else, but it's definitely not the same.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
'It's not pizza:' Utica's Tomato Pie Day to celebrate iconic Upstate NY food

"Tomato pie - in Utica - is yeast dough covered with red sauce and, in some cases, topped with a sprinkling of Parmesan-style cheese. Some recipes stray further off the simple course - a brush of basil olive oil or, daringly, some caramelized onions and a handful of olives. But nobody, just nobody, puts mozzarella on his or her tomato pie in Utica. And almost everyone bakes it in a sheet pan..."

Reaction Score
Room temperature pizza with tool temp sauce on top?

That just does not sound appetizing at all.
They do the tomato pies in Philly too. There's a reason it hasn't taken off nationally, most people like cheese and they like their pizza hot.

Reaction Score
'It's not pizza:' Utica's Tomato Pie Day to celebrate iconic Upstate NY food

"Tomato pie - in Utica - is yeast dough covered with red sauce and, in some cases, topped with a sprinkling of Parmesan-style cheese. Some recipes stray further off the simple course - a brush of basil olive oil or, daringly, some caramelized onions and a handful of olives. But nobody, just nobody, puts mozzarella on his or her tomato pie in Utica. And almost everyone bakes it in a sheet pan..."

“Upside-down pizza, aka Utica Pizza, is made with tomato sauce on top of the cheese. It's backwards from your normal pizza, but there is some logic behind it. By putting the cheese on the bottom, in theory, it prevents the tomato sauce from making the crust soggy.

The recipe for upside down pizza first appeared on the streets of Utica over 100 years ago. O'Scugnizzo Pizzeria was founded in 1914 by Eugeno Burlino. It started with just tomato pie, but then the whole concept of dough, toppings, cheese, THEN sauce has been a favorite for generations of Central New Yorkers.”

Reaction Score
Not sure about cold sauce on a pizza when I first buy it. I have certainly eaten many room temperature slices the next morning.

I can certainly attest to the love of sauce in an Italian household. My mother used to start her sauce on a Saturday afternoon for Sunday dinner. It would end up nice and thick and full of sausage and hamburger pieces. A favorite treat was a simple sauce on bread meal on Saturday nights. Sometimes you would even sneak in some sausage.

Reaction Score
They do the tomato pies in Philly too. There's a reason it hasn't taken off nationally, most people like cheese and they like their pizza hot.
I can totally see it being upside down. That’s how Chicago and Detroit styles are done, and I’m perfectly happy with those styles when done well. It’s the room temp factor for me. Not only does it not seem appetizing; but based on what I know about dairy, at the point that it becomes room temp after baking, it’s already getting close to spoiling, no?

Reaction Score
RIP to a UConn staple.

This is so monumentally sad. I can’t say I’m totally surprised, because it was always a kinda crummy spot. Mainly good for drunk late night. But man they used to make massive, delicious pepperoni breads for $4 that I would get sometimes twice a week. I reached the fattest state of my life that year. Sad to see the multi-generational spots closing down one by one. I feel like Ted’s and DP Dough are two of the last holdouts; fortunately I don’t see them closing. Wings Over Storrs is still there, right?

Reaction Score
I can totally see it being upside down. That’s how Chicago and Detroit styles are done, and I’m perfectly happy with those styles when done well. It’s the room temp factor for me. Not only does it not seem appetizing; but based on what I know about dairy, at the point that it becomes room temp after baking, it’s already getting close to spoiling, no?
Utica tomato pies are like Philly tomato pies it's just bread and sauce, it's not eaten hot. Utica tomato pies do a sprinkling of parm or romano on top like deep dish but it's not the upside down style like deep dish with mozzarella cheese under the sauce. It would have more in common with New Haven tomato pies, bread and tomato sauce. At least in New Haven they serve it hot. I think tomato pies in Utica and Philly are supposed to sit out for a couple hours before eaten then they refrigerate it's not eaten.

Reaction Score
Utica tomato pies are like Philly tomato pies it's just bread and sauce, it's not eaten hot. Utica tomato pies do a sprinkling of parm or romano on top like deep dish but it's not the upside down style like deep dish with mozzarella cheese under the sauce. It would have more in common with New Haven tomato pies, bread and tomato sauce. At least in New Haven they serve it hot. I think tomato pies in Utica and Philly are supposed to sit out for a couple hours before eaten then they refrigerate it's not eaten.
Gotcha I was confused and just thought “tomato pies” was a kind of catch-all for pizzas with sauce on the top

Reaction Score
Gotcha I was confused and just thought “tomato pies” was a kind of catch-all for pizzas with sauce on the top
It's confusing. The famous place in Utica that @karstenkibbe was talking about does their pizza upside down with mozzarella on the bottom and tomato sauce on top. That's different from Utica tomato pies and Philly tomato pies but they still seem to call it tomato pie. It looks like they originally made them with just bread and tomato sauce like the other places but added mozzarella under the sauce somewhere along the line.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom