OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 316 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Sign is up and equipment looks to be installed at the Pepe’s in Stamford. I’m guessing an opening by June . . . For those in the area, I suggest avoiding Bull’s Head. Once Pepe’s/Shake Shake/Starbucks and neighboring Whole Foods open, Bull’s Head will be a traffic nightmare.
https://archive.ph/3Mye7 local auto body shops should see an up tick in business, gonna be nuts!

Reaction Score
EC69B399-0C8E-470C-B0BE-33CF7052BAAD.jpeg

Benchmarking…. Not in CT. Buffalo mozzarella, spicy salami, and red onion.

Reaction Score
Always thought this thread more or less handled wood-fired Neapolitan as a separate thing. It's pretty much the one major pizza style where CT does not dominate.

That said, looks fantastic.
No offense to that Neapolitan pie… but my eye keeps getting drawn to that lager - maybe a pils - with the perfect lacing around the glass.

Reaction Score
Too doughy and not enough Mozz.
As Neapolitan is the father to both NY and New Haven…. I’d say the amount of fresh Buffalo mozz was just right. Not enough for a NY pie, but NY pies don’t use fresh mozz. For New Haven style some would say any mozz is too much. Too much fresh mozz makes a pie too wet.

This pie made me think of apizza roots. Some char on the crust. It was still a fork and knife Neapolitan though. Wood fired flavor.

Reaction Score
Also, on the “too doughy”, I think of Neapolitan now from an apizza perspective. Apizza has the crunchy and chewy signature texture. A Neapolitan like this one has a crunchy oversized edge crust that is charred, and a doughy soft center that must be cut with a knife and fork. The oversized crunchy edge provides enough to ratio with the center so you can get both in every fork bite. Just a great pie.

Reaction Score
Don't think it's been discussed here...anyone ever been to One6Three in New Haven. Eclectic menu and but it looks pretty good

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Don't think it's been discussed here...anyone ever been to One6Three in New Haven. Eclectic menu and but it looks pretty good
It's been one of the least mentioned worthy options.

Initially, it captured favor with those further north on the Whitney-Orange corridor, a more convenient local choice than DaLegna (now NoLa, right?), Next Door, and, of course, Modern. It also, I believe, developed a following from those who got deliveries to East Rock Brewing. I'm out of date regarding how the pandemic has shifted things, and now moved out of state, but I was an early visitor, and the folks were friendly, the pies were creative, and I always enjoyed it. Atticus has also added to the choices as one get closer to East Rock Park.

I'd enjoy hearing an update if you do visit.

My earliest memories included swapping slices with other diners, just because it was on a more intimate scale and lent itself toward people being curious about what other people were having. Also, it was fun to write lovers' initials on the cut hardwood that formed one wall, and not so fun after the relationship ended sadly. A nice, low-key neighborhood place on lesser-traveled Foster Street that also captured upper State Street folks, and, like Next Door, an outgrowth from a family pizza truck business, so adept at smaller, quickly-cooked pies from a smaller-scale oven.

Another one from that same period was ReBar in West Haven, which did great pies out of a bee hive, and I think has pulled through the pandemic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom