• Donovan Clingan

Votes: 83 23.7%
  • Other - specify below

Votes: 5 1.4%

• Total voters

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I’d go with Bouk or Cole. Besides his impact on our NBA status, I think people don’t appreciate how he carried us out of our hole of mediocrity, which happened so fast it skewed how people look at our coach. If Hawkins or Sanogo get us to the elite 8 or beyond this season, the answer would probably change, but I’m not sure we even get those guys in recruiting if not for the foundation Bouk/Cole/Martin left.

But one last thought. Anyone saying a player who hasn’t started a game at UConn yet is wrong. There’s just simply no justification for their impact yet.

Reaction Score
I went with Clingan for a few reasons. First, he's an in-state kid, and protecting your border is very important. Second, he's got probably the highest ceiling at the college level of anyone from that list. And finally, he's got a good chance to be an impact player at the NBA level, and we haven't had anyone come out and be a good regular NBA player since probably Kemba (please tell me if I'm missing anyone).

Jordan is a close second because I expect Clingan to have a bigger impact at the collegiate level, which I also weight more in this exercise.
My vote was DC as well. The kid is special and you can't teach 7'2.
Once Adama is gone he'll become a more dominant force and certain Top 10-15 pick.
He's just getting started

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
Voted bouk and I think Hurley would too. Bouk is not my favorite player among the bunch but he's the guy who led the way to Jackson, Hawkins, others.

Reaction Score
Bouk was at times clearly the best player of this bunch.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
5 stars attract more 5 stars. He's working on Boogie.
And 4 stars lead to wins more than 5 stars. I hope and expect Castle will have a big impact, but great players you get for 2-3 years are more impactful than one and done guys.

Reaction Score
i picked bouknight, but my votes changes if we make a run this year. could also see clingan, karaban, or castle swinging it in the future.

bouknight actually wasn't rated crazy high (at least for a lottery pick) -- his final 5 was uconn, indinia, va tech, vcu, and miami. hurley and kimani found a diamond in the rough, went all-out to get the commitment when we were still in the aac, and gave us our first nba first-rounder in close to a decade. huge recruit.

Reaction Score
And 4 stars lead to wins more than 5 stars. I hope and expect Castle will have a big impact, but great players you get for 2-3 years are more impactful than one and done guys.
5 stars help future recruiting immediately, 5 stars have a much higher chance of not only making the NBA but being big impact players in the NBA. They immediately increase eyeballs, and pay dividens down the road. UConn being a major presence in the NBA again will be huge for the program.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
5 stars help future recruiting immediately, 5 stars have a much higher chance of not only making the NBA but being big impact players in the NBA. They immediately increase eyeballs, and pay dividens down the road. UConn being a major presence in the NBA again will be huge for the program.
Yeah, we're splitting hairs. Without Bouk, Sanogo, Cole, Martin and Hawkins, Castle doesn't come here. The HS recruits that did the most to legitimize the program again were Bouknight and Sanogo. But obviously there's no one answer really.

5 stars are rare. I don't expect one every season. Don't want to become Kentucky or Duke. We never were with Calhoun.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Karaban has a higher collegiate floor than Hawkins, but he is a tweener right now. It's still an unknown what he'll be at a next level, let alone THEE next level.

Hawkins showed glimpses last year as a freshman, but they were few and far between. Karaban is averaging 30 MPG, including crunch time. Given all the Hawkins love, I choose Karaban and hopefully he can be worked into the wing rotation next year, as well.

He's also a fellow former-Tomahawk, albeit for one season.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Karaban has a higher collegiate floor than Hawkins, but he is a tweener right now. It's still an unknown what he'll be at a next level, let alone THEE next level.

Hawkins showed glimpses last year as a freshman, but they were few and far between. Karaban is averaging 30 MPG, including crunch time. Given all the Hawkins love, I choose Karaban and hopefully he can be worked into the wing rotation next year, as well.

Not even close. Hawkins is first team AA material if he comes back next year (Which I don't expect to happen).

Big fan of the Karaban Caravan but he will never be so good offensively that teams game plan entirely about stopping him. And that's one of his strengths. Karaban will become more and more lethal as teams get better but can only play him straight up.

Reaction Score

You went to Algonquin? When did you graduate? Not many Husky fans around here.

Reaction Score
I voted Hawkins - i think he is the best combination of recruiting hype, college production and pro potential (so far).

Husky25

Reaction Score
Not even close. Hawkins is first team AA material if he comes back next year (Which I don't expect to happen).

Big fan of the Karaban Caravan but he will never be so good offensively that teams game plan entirely about stopping him. And that's one of his strengths. Karaban will become more and more lethal as teams get better but can only play him straight up.

The two are not mutually exclusive. A couple of weeks ago, I speculated that Hawkins may benefit from a third year. I no longer believe this. Ability-wise, he's ready to move on. The only situation in which I think he'll remotely think about staying is if UConn gets to at least the Elite 8, but come up short of the ultimate hardware. Think Hamilton '98.

Karaban is having a better freshman year than Hawkins had last year.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The two are not mutually exclusive. A couple of weeks ago, I speculated that Hawkins may benefit from a third year. I no longer believe this. Ability-wise, he's ready to move on. The only situation in which I think he'll remotely think about staying is if UConn gets to at least the Elite 8, but come up short of the ultimate hardware. Think Hamilton '98.

Karaban is having a better freshman year than Hawkins had last year.

You're bringing up the exact opposite of high ceiling.

Karaban was better suited to perform as a freshman. More refined skill set and roster had tons of minutes available at the 4 spot. Hawkins needed time to adjust and had Martin front of him.

But Hawkins was always projected to have more room for improvement and higher ability to impact game.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You're bringing up the exact opposite of high ceiling.

Karaban was better suited to perform as a freshman. More refined skill set and roster had tons of minutes available at the 4 spot. Hawkins needed time to adjust and had Martin front of him.

But Hawkins was always projected to have more room for improvement and higher ability to impact game.
That might be because I said, "Karaban has a higher collegiate floor..."

I personally did not expect Hawkins' sophomore leap. It was talked about, but his play last year gave no such indication. Kudos to him for his hard work (and visit from Ray Allen ;).).

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I went with Karaban. Why? Because most of the others gaining large numbers of votes were more known quantities. Getting a guy that, somewhat unexpectedly, as a freshman is your starting power forward, shows incredible basketball IQ, learns fast and improves every game, and can shoot like that is a real coup. Hawkins we knew had a sweet stroke. He's turned that into an ability to takeover a game and beat the opponents best defender, but we knew he could shoot. Sanogo had great performances prior to coming against most of his peers at the 5. And Clingan is 7'2" with soft hands and good timing. But with Karaban it was hard to know exactly what you were getting.

Now we know.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You went to Algonquin? When did you graduate? Not many Husky fans around here.
I did indeed. Not sure how much else I want to divulge. While another student transferred in, I recall being the only one from my graduating class that matriculated all 4 years.

Paraphrasing Mission: Impossible, but "anonymity is like a warm blanket."

Then again, I graduated from both schools over 20+ years ago and doubt you have a Harbinger from that era lying around (at least not the one where college choices were published...).;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I went with Karaban. Why? Because most of the others gaining large numbers of votes were more known quantities. Getting a guy that, somewhat unexpectedly, as a freshman is your starting power forward, shows incredible basketball IQ, learns fast and improves every game, and can shoot like that is a real coup. Hawkins we knew had a sweet stroke. He's turned that into an ability to takeover a game and beat the opponents best defender, but we knew he could shoot. Sanogo had great performances prior to coming against most of his peers at the 5. And Clingan is 7'2" with soft hands and good timing. But with Karaban it was hard to know exactly what you were getting.

Now we know.
Clingan certainly wasn't a known quantity on the board in terms of how he would play here. There were a lot of posters who viewed him as a project and thought he could be a big contributer by his junior year. There were people saying he was slow and only dominated in high school because he was a foot taller than everyone else. There was even one guy who said he was a total stiff and couldn't play at this level. He's blown away expectations.

Kid looks like a national player of the year candidate next season with offseason development.

Karaban has been great as a freshman but he also had a headstart in the program compared to most freshman and he's 20 years old. I think most people thought he would be a player this season.

Reaction Score
Bouk have been the most physically talented one but not the best player. Big difference

Reaction Score
Not fair to Karaban or Clingan as of yet. I mean we may say someone now and in a year or 2 decide it's one of these 2.

But for now, Sanogo was a huge win as we have him and Seton Hall doesn't.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Clingan certainly wasn't a known quantity on the board in terms of how he would play here. There were a lot of posters who viewed him as a project and thought he could be a big contributer by his junior year. There were people saying he was slow and only dominated in high school because he was a foot taller than everyone else. There was even one guy who said he was a total stiff and couldn't play at this level. He's blown away expectations.

Kid looks like a national player of the year candidate next season with offseason development.

Karaban has been great as a freshman but he also had a headstart in the program compared to most freshman and he's 20 years old. I think most people thought he would be a player this season.
Possibly … but most posters also had Samson Johnson starting over him and thinking he’d be lucky to get 10-12 minutes per game. It’s true we didn’t know what Clingan would give year 1, but you also can’t teach 7’2”. Those stats that, I think, @husky429 provided that showed Karaba’s improvement second time around the league are remarkable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom