Best peak performance UConn team? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Best peak performance UConn team?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
fwiw, just ran a sim for a 7-game series on neutral court between '04 and '99.

'99 won 4-2, with the 6th game going into OT.

I then ran sims between '04 and '23 until '23 won a game. Took 17 games for '23 to notch a win, and that was in OT. Most weren't close, although I did get a 77-74!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have to look at it in a pre transfer portal way. The portal has changed college basketball.
The 2009 team was nasty and that's not an adjective I throw around too much, however, at peak time they were banged up a bit.
2004 was a resilient team as was 2014 and the run 2014 had in the NCAAs was nothing short of fantastic based on the competition.
2005-2006 - won the Maui vs 3 top 10 teams, lost 2 regular season games , lost the 6 OT OBE tourney game and came up short vs G Mason in the NCAAs - finished the season ranked 2nd in nation.
The 1995 and 1996 teams played in the wonder years of the OBE and more than held their own but again, injuries to key players prevented them from hitting the heights they deserved.
1998-99 had moxie and had not only talent at every key position but they all were tireless workers and willed their way to a NC.
Now to 2023 - the one thing that made the team harder to beat was DC off the bench - without him the team is no way near as strong as other teams in the past. I know the youngsters here haven't the privilege of experiencing the OBE in its heyday, and I dont agree at all that the players now are better shooters. Might be better athletes but not more skilled.
You are eliminated from consideration for not knowing the 6 OT game was in 2009

Reaction Score
The 2023 team just went on one of the best runs through the tournament relevant to any team that ever played the sport. It’s them.
Recency bias. 2004 was so much more talented, just look at all the guys that got drafted, and where. The #2 and #3 picks in the draft?? Cmon

This year was great, but that team was a juggernaut. With a healthy Emeka all year could easily have gone undefeated.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
'04 at their best is the answer. One of the best CBB teams in history IMO.

Not only did the 2004 guys beat a really good Duke team teeming with pros, but they kicked the ever-living snot out of Alabama in a game that comes to mind whenever I hear the expression "firing on all cylinders." 53-29 at halftime, punctuated by a Rashad buzzer-beater.

The 2023 team is certainly in the conversation. While the competition was not as strong, these guys beat up everybody they faced in the NCAA Tourny. That was a first for UConn.

Reaction Score
Would Uconn have beaten Michigam State in the 2009 final 4 and beaten UNC in the championship game if Jerome Dyson didn't have his season ending injury?

I think Uconn would've won that title.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
2023 with 2004 as a not too distant second followed by 2009.

I think players are just more skilled now too. Better 3 pt shooters. Sanogo and Karaban- our 4 and 5 guys could shoot 3s. And our guard trio was enormous and versatile between Jackson, Newton and Hawkins. Bigger than Rashad/Gordon/Taliek…. And certainly bigger than the 09 guards.
Bringing Clingan off the bench was just unfair.

Could be totally wrong, I’m pretty young and my memory only goes back to like the 07 team.

I don't want to disparage any UConn team, that's not what this is about.

But I personally think 2023 loses to at least 3-4 of our previous teams. I think 2004 would smack them around quite a bit, 2009 as well.

2004 is the best overall team, when full strength, but man 94-96 are underrated.

Reaction Score
2004 was the most dominant team with zero weaknesses. Had the guard play. The inside game. Physically dominant

They were heads above the competition. They peaked at the end. I can't remember one Tourney game where I was worried we might lose. Not even close.

Reaction Score
2004 was the most dominant team with zero weaknesses. Had the guard play. The inside game. Physically dominant

They were heads above the competition. They peaked at the end. I can't remember one Tourney game where I was worried we might lose. Not even close.
You didn't think they might lose when they were down 8 points with 2:45 left in the final 4 against Duke? I find that really hard to believe.

Reaction Score
You didn't think they might lose when they were down 8 points with 2:45 left in the final 4 against Duke? I find that really hard to believe.
He had to have forgotten about that game because that one was definitely worrisome. I was sweating bullets in that one but it made the walk out of the Alamodome pretty sweet.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
2004 had six future first rounders, four lottery picks, three top 10 picks, and two Top 3 picks. That doesn't include Rashad or Taliek or Denham. Our best player was the best player in the nation and #2 pick in the draft.

This.

Rashad is one of the best 3 point shooters and most clutch shooters in UConn history and is outside of that group of NBA picks. Denham scored over 1000 points.

Both were physically strong and could run all day.

Taliek's overall offensive game was iffy at best but by 2004 he was a bulldog on defense and had improved his decision making.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
This.

Rashad is one of the best 3 point shooters and most clutch shooters in UConn history and is outside of that group of NBA picks. Denham scored over 1000 points.

Both were physically strong and could run all day.

Taliek's overall offensive game was iffy at best but by 2004 he was a bulldog on defense and had improved his decision making.

SJ mentioned a couple posts above us being down by 8 against Duke with under 3 to go. IIRC that 8-point lead lasted about 5 seconds, until Rashad drained a 3 to bring it back down to 5.

You have to think if he misses that 3, we don't win the title.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
SJ mentioned a couple posts above us being down by 8 against Duke with under 3 to go. IIRC that 8-point lead lasted about 5 seconds, until Rashad drained a 3 to bring it back down to 5.

He tried to save us in 2006 too with Washington. Would’ve loved to see him get that last shot against GMU even if Brown was the one to send us to OT.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He had to have forgotten about that game because that one was definitely worrisome. I was sweating bullets in that one but it made the walk out of the Alamodome pretty sweet.
I remember thinking "What am I gonna do until the plane leaves on Tuesday?" I sure as wasn't going to Duke-Ga Tech.

Reaction Score

Oh yeah, that game was over without that shot. Taliek had a brutal game but he got the rebound and pushed finding Rashad with the perfect pass in his shooting pocket. With under 3 minutes left it took that shot, Duke taking forced shots with too much time on the shotclock, and amazing defense by UConn to pull that one out.

With Okafor playing the whole game I think UConn wins that one by at least 10. I never liked Calhoun's 2 early fouls and you sit the whole half but he ended up looking like a genius and K ended up looking pretty bad considering how his team didn't execute at all down the stretch.

Reaction Score
Oh yeah, that game was over without that shot. Taliek had a brutal game but he got the rebound and pushed finding Rashad with the perfect pass in his shooting pocket. With under 3 minutes left it took that shot, Duke taking forced shots with too much time on the shotclock, and amazing defense by UConn to pull that one out.

With Okafor playing the whole game I think UConn wins that one by at least 10. I never liked Calhoun's 2 early fouls and you sit the whole half but he ended up looking like a genius and K ended up looking pretty bad considering how his team didn't execute at all down the stretch.

Can watch this over and over again. Rashads 3 shook Duke and their decision making down the match and it turned it into an Okafor vs Horvath matchup.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I never liked Calhoun's 2 early fouls and you sit the whole half but he ended up looking like a genius
Sitting Oak all that time let Duke back in the game, they were getting smoked. And down 8 with 2:45 doesn't sound like genius to me. Let's face it. Shad won that game.

Reaction Score
Sitting Oak all that time let Duke back in the game, they were getting smoked. And down 8 with 2:45 doesn't sound like genius to me. Let's face it. Shad won that game.
and if Okafor pick up his 3rd before the half then what, it was a gamble but no panic there was just enough time and we ripped out there hearts makes it a glorious finish as Duke fans thought they were going to pull off what we did to them in 99.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Can watch this over and over again. Rashads 3 shook Duke and their decision making down the match and it turned it into an Okafor vs Horvath matchup.

The floor almost had a 1980's HCC vibe to it.

Reaction Score

correct. Which is why I stated a few days ago in another thread, I don't remember which one, that shot is easily a top 5 clutch shot of all time for UConn. It won't be remembered because it wasn't in the last 30 seconds to tie the game or take the lead.

Reaction Score
It looks genius because UConn won the game and Okafor was totally dominant in the second half. Refs let them play in winning time and Okafor fouled out Duke's frontline. Still, UConn doesn't win without Rashad hitting that shot.

I hated Calhoun's adherence to the 2 fouls and you sit especially against a team like Duke, they were too good to give a cushion like that but it all worked out in the end. If Okafor picked up a cheapie on foul 3 in the first half a lot of fans would've lit Calhoun up but I wouldn't have been one of them. The 2 fouls and you sit and not fouling up 3 were the two Calhoun things I never liked. Nobody is perfect.

Reaction Score
Remember the Pitt comeback in the BET final with Okafor fouled out and Charlie V (out with a sprained ankle).

Weren’t they down 11 in the 2nd half?

Reaction Score
I remember thinking "What am I gonna do until the plane leaves on Tuesday?" I sure as wasn't going to Duke-Ga Tech.
All I had brought with me were UConn shirts and I was thinking the same as you and also wondering what I was going to wear because I wasn't going to hang out down at the Riverwalk after losing to Duke. Emeka saved us from that indignity.

Reaction Score
All I had brought with me were UConn shirts and I was thinking the same as you and also wondering what I was going to wear because I wasn't going to hang out down at the Riverwalk after losing to Duke. Emeka saved us from that indignity.
What were the comments Duke fans if you can remember.

Reaction Score
Agree 2004. But how can any team be a wide margin ahead of 2023 after the performance we just watched?
The overall quality of play isn’t as high in 2023 as it was in 2004. I’d say the early entries into the draft and the G league, and the transfer portal has made for less overall team continuity and fewer veteran teams. The 2004 Duke team was also a great team and probably runs the table in the 2023 tournament also by a considerable margin.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom