Best NBA Player to Come Out of the Big East | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Best NBA Player to Come Out of the Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's not how I remember that series or Iverson's career, he was the little guy version of Shaq where he was getting hacked constantly with no foul calls. Tim Donaghy even talked about a conspiracy between the refs to screw Iverson over in games.
Game 5 of that series was pivotal. Bucks shot 16 free throws at home vs 28 for Sixers in a 1-pt loss. Overall 76ers made more FT 140/186 than the Bucks were awarded-120 (made 101). That's a huge 39pt discrepancy of 6ppg on makes. Iverson made 43/55 free throws vs Ray a cool 30/31.
Also 12-3 in techs against the Bucks. Game 7 the Sixers won handily so it looks less rigged but the deck was heavily stacked against the Bucks.
Fix was in theory

Reaction Score
is Jimmy Butler not top ten?
glad someone brought him up! i actually forgot that marquette was BE when butler played.

i think he has to be included in a top 10 list. probably not a top 5, though.

Reaction Score
One year. And the East was horrible that year. Philly beat a lousy Celtics team in the Conference finals. Never did a thing since.
That Philly team was bad. Besides mutombo, they had no one besides AI, Eric snow and Aaron McKie and Tyrone hill? Cmon. Iverson was double teamed every night by guys 5-6 inches bigger than him. Pound for pound cud make argument one of greatest players all time. I mean for my generation, it’s Isaiah and Iverson and Stockton, who is better for their size? Cmon. Iverson one of toughest players of all time. Ask Tyrron Lue- lol

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Mullin from SJ deserves a mention.

Ray has 2 NBA Championships, but my gut says Ewing is the correct answer.
Except for the Mullin part, I lend to agree. Mullin was good, but I never thought he was great.

Last edited:

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Except for the Mullin part, I lend to agree. Mullin was good, but I never thought he was great.
Nothing against Mullin he turned into a very good nba player. I think he was part of the Run DMC Warriors team. High BBIQ very good if not great shooter. In college he was just the right player for the right team. He and Lou got lots of media attention when St John’s became part of the big east. Perfect scenario small sweater wearing lovable head coach and Mullin fit the bill as the perfect alter boy looking player. It sold a ton of papers.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
While at a bar over the weekend was talking to my PC fan buddy about how Ray was at the game on Friday. That conversation eventually evolved into who is the best NBA player to ever come out of the big east. I'll preface by saying we are in our mid 30s so not overly savvy on 80s early 90s BE but our list came down to four names Ray, Ewing, Iverson, and Melo. I'm sure we likely forgot people but who does the yard think is the best NBA player to come out of the BE.
What bar were you at?

Reaction Score
That Philly team was bad. Besides mutombo, they had no one besides AI, Eric snow and Aaron McKie and Tyrone hill? Cmon. Iverson was double teamed every night by guys 5-6 inches bigger than him. Pound for pound cud make argument one of greatest players all time. I mean for my generation, it’s Isaiah and Iverson and Stockton, who is better for their size? Cmon. Iverson one of toughest players of all time. Ask Tyrron Lue- lol
You'll have a dilemna if Gonzaga ever joins the Big East. ;)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Mullin was a great college player, full stop. And not just because he beat UConn at the buzzer the one time the BET was in Hartford.

Reaction Score

Mullin was a great college player without question and then had a five year period where he averaged 25/5/4, made the all-nba team each year, and was selected (without question) for the Dream Team. I think you can say that his NBA career was pretty distinguished as well. GS then tried to go younger with Sprewell, Webber, Donyell, etc. and Mullin was phased out a bit. I'd still put his career over Ray's as a whole. Ray was consistent for a longer time but his peak was not as high as Mullin's imo.

Reaction Score
Ray Allen

1st ballot HOF
2nd in 3 point FGs made
2 rings

Nobody compares with that

Nobody disagrees with his accomplishments... But if you're starting a team today of prime AI, Ewing, Melo, Ray, Mullin, etc. are you taking Ray first? Love the guy, but there's no way I'm taking him over the first three and it's debatable with Mullin.

Reaction Score
I hated him, hated Georgetown, hated the Knicks.........................but my vote is for Ewing.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Nobody disagrees with his accomplishments... But if you're starting a team today of prime AI, Ewing, Melo, Ray, Mullin, etc. are you taking Ray first? Love the guy, but there's no way I'm taking him over the first three and it's debatable with Mullin.
Actually, if I want to build a roster to win a championship today, I probably am taking Ray, knowing what we know about the accomplishments of all five. Three-point shooting prowess is a premium. AI didn't have that, he's a volume shooter like Harden, and neither have rings. Ewing probably wouldn't be as effective now as in his time. And I think Allen would contribute more than Mullen or even Melo, although the latter is a pretty close 1b.

Reaction Score
Actually, if I want to build a roster to win a championship today, I probably am taking Ray, knowing what we know about the accomplishments of all five. Three-point shooting prowess is a premium. AI didn't have that, he's a volume shooter like Harden, and neither have rings. Ewing probably wouldn't be as effective now as in his time. And I think Allen would contribute more than Mullen or even Melo, although the latter is a pretty close 1b.

I see your point... Should have phrased it differently. In their prime, in their day, are you going to take Ray over those guys? I know I wouldn't. Just my $0.02.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I'm taking Ray over Melo every day of the week. Ray was elite at one skill his entire career and the first half of his career he was an above average athlete in the NBA.

Ray also showed on four different franchises he can play and mesh with other superstars and succeed. Melo couldn't (or wouldn't) ever blend his skills with others.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Ewing, Iverson, Ray, Melo and Mullin in that order.

Ewing came into the league at the right time for his game, but at a bad time for his conference. Not to mention that as iconic as the 90s Knicks were to their fans, they were lacking in overall talent/sidekicks compared to the Celtics, Pistons, and Bulls that they faced in the playoff 80s-90s.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

Not sure why Mullins would be debatable. Ray did everything he did but better, and I like Chris

I don't want AI on my team. Leadership and chemistry matter. I think he's a Kryrie Irving or Stephon Marbury

Melo can score, seems to have chemistry issues, but not as bad as AI.

Ewing is the only player that's debatable for me. But in today's NBA, with three point shooting up a ton, Ray would be even better than he was.

Reaction Score

Ray was objectively better than Mullin.

To me it's pick between Iverson and Ewing, then pick between Ray and Anthony, Mullin 5th, Jimmy Butler 6th.

Reaction Score
Game 5 of that series was pivotal. Bucks shot 16 free throws at home vs 28 for Sixers in a 1-pt loss. Overall 76ers made more FT 140/186 than the Bucks were awarded-120 (made 101). That's a huge 39pt discrepancy of 6ppg on makes. Iverson made 43/55 free throws vs Ray a cool 30/31.
Also 12-3 in techs against the Bucks. Game 7 the Sixers won handily so it looks less rigged but the deck was heavily stacked against the Bucks.
Fix was in theory
I am remember that series well. The Bucks got screwed in that series by the officiating. I remember, Glenn Robinson didn't shoot 1 FT in games 1-4.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Ray was objectively better than Mullin.
If we are talking just college, the gap is a lot closer than you imply. Mullin took his team to the Final Four. And before anyone says "But Walter Berry", Ray played with players, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom