OT: - Best mini golf in CT | The Boneyard

OT: Best mini golf in CT

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I used to bring the kids mini golfing a lot but now realize that it's been several years since we've been, except for a cool indoor one in Brooklyn where I brought our middle daughter a couple years ago.

Our youngest daughter just went last week while she was on vacation on the Cape with a friend's family and really liked it. Our oldest daughter is now back away "at school" and our middle daughter heads out again at the end of the week, so I want to spend some time these next few weeks hitting a few different mini golf places with the youngest before her school starts up again.

I remember there used to be a decent one in Farmington and I believe they are still open. Anyone got any other recs for interesting/fun/different ones?

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I used to bring the kids mini golfing a lot but now realize that it's been several years since we've been, except for a cool indoor one in Brooklyn where I brought our middle daughter a couple years ago.

Our youngest daughter just went last week while she was on vacation on the Cape with a friend's family and really liked it. Our oldest daughter is now back away "at school" and our middle daughter heads out again at the end of the week, so I want to spend some time these next few weeks hitting a few different mini golf places with the youngest before her school starts up again.

I remember there used to be a decent one in Farmington and I believe they are still open. Anyone got any other recs for interesting/fun/different ones?

LOL I was gonna recommend the one on Rte 4. its probably been there 45 years at least, because I grew up goin there.

Otherwise. Ive got nothing. I think Ive mini golfed like 2-3 times in last 20 years and they appear and dissappear in seconds.

Remember the minigolf and batting cages in Clinton near madison line? That lasted about 15 minutes.

Reaction Score

been to this one with my kids, it's a nice clean course and the theme is very well done and offbeat. Everything you wanted to know about Switzerland but were afraid to ask. Kids loved it.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
LOL I was gonna recommend the one on Rte 4. its probably been there 45 years at least, because I grew up goin there.

Otherwise. Ive got nothing. I think Ive mini golfed like 2-3 times in last 20 years and they appear and dissappear in seconds.

Remember the minigolf and batting cages in Clinton near madison line? That lasted about 15 minutes.
Yeah that one in Clinton didn't last long at all. I think that's a health club now.

There are actually two in Old Saybrook: one behind Som Siam and one at Saybrook Point. I went to the Som Siam one probably around five years ago and it was fine but nothing special. I've heard the one at Saybrook Point is decent, but she went there with some friends the other night so I want to bring her somewhere different.

August_West

Reaction Score
Yeah that one in Clinton didn't last long at all. I think that's a health club now.

There are actually two in Old Saybrook: one behind Som Siam and one at Saybrook Point. I went to the Som Siam one probably around five years ago and it was fine but nothing special. I've heard the one at Saybrook Point is decent, but she went there with some friends the other night so I want to bring her somewhere different.

THe one behind son siam is tumbleweeds. As is Son Siam. Saybrook point is OK in that its the only close one. I did play a few times in Cape vacations and Florida vacations with daughter, but yeah like I said the CT visits were few and far between, but we would go to saybrook point occasionally. I was in farmington again with my daughter like maybe 10 years ago ( for my own nostalgia) it was still good then.

Reaction Score

Safari Golf in the Berlin Turnpike one of the best. My son and I went when he was about 5-6 and he made a hole-in-one on the long downhill hole which you will see if you go. After he made that shot it was regular visit for us on the way down to see Gramma and even on the way back at times LOL. Fun for the youngsters with the jungle appeal, and for us too ;).

The owner was my junior pro hoops coach out of the Meriden Boys Club former captain for Barakat at Fairfield. Not sure if "Gator" still does own it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I asked this a few years ago. I don't know of a better one than the Rt. 4 Farmington course. I went a few times in 2019 and it was in good shape. More importantly, it has more good, well designed holes than almost any course I've played. Good shots are rewarded, bad shots are penalized and the ball seems to stay on the course well. I remember liking Ocean Beach when it was kept up. Most courses just stink imo, like the on Rt. 85 just south of Salem 4 Corners. I had high hopes when I first read about it. But most holes are boring and/or convoluted.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
@August_West, I loved that place. Kind of amazed it's still around. Last time I played there was around 1976.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I asked this a few years ago. I don't know of a better one than the Rt. 4 Farmington course. I went a few times in 2019 and it was in good shape. More importantly, it has more good, well designed holes than almost any course I've played. Good shots are rewarded, bad shots are penalized and the ball seems to stay on the course well.
Yeah that Farmington one reminds me most of the ones I used to love best when I was a kid. Just a good, classic course. More often than not, I have found the more gimmicky ones to be lacking in execution because the holes are not well-designed.

Think we will start back at Farmington this weekend and go from there.

Reaction Score
The Matterhorn in Canton is great. New, cool themed holes, really fun. A little bit out there in terms of location, but worth it if you're in the area.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

been to this one with my kids, it's a nice clean course and the theme is very well done and offbeat. Everything you wanted to know about Switzerland but were afraid to ask. Kids loved it.
The Matterhorn in Canton is great. New, cool themed holes, really fun. A little bit out there in terms of location, but worth it if you're in the area.

Thanks. I was thinking of making it a combo with a visit to see my sister in Avon, so Canton probably works as well as Farmington for that.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score

Safari Golf in the Berlin Turnpike one of the best. My son and I went when he was about 5-6 and he made a hole-in-one on the long downhill hole which you will see if you go. After he made that shot it was regular visit for us on the way down to see Gramma and even on the way back at times LOL. Fun for the youngsters with the jungle appeal, and for us too ;).

The owner was my junior pro hoops coach out of the Meriden Boys Club former captain for Barakat at Fairfield. Not sure if "Gator" still does own it.
I played for Gator for a year in high school. Absolutely fantastic coach.

Reaction Score
Went to Hidden Valley in Southington over by Compounds many times as a kid. Happy to see it's still open 20 odd years later.

Also enjoyed R&B sports world in Winsted, followed by a Go-Kart race and a stop at the Dairy Queen next door.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Nothing holds a candle to the now extinct Zula's in Meriden.

August_West

Reaction Score
Thanks. I was thinking of making it a combo with a visit to see my sister in Avon, so Canton probably works as well as Farmington for that.

Almost as well. Not quite. But hell if you are that far into valley from shoreline, whats another 15 minutes?

Reaction Score
The one in Farmington has the added benefit of a great ice cream shop and the driving range next door.

Reaction Score
I played for Gator for a year in high school. Absolutely fantastic coach.

You played for Tommy B at LHHS? My brother may have been the JV coach if timing right? Boyd Johnson years at all?

He taught me more in 2 years as a 12-13 year old than my famous HS coach did,tremendous teacher. I know how to switch, take charges, BC fast breaks, cover through the baseline and so much more prior to HS. Tough player too I was able to play with him in city hoops near the end of his career when I was about 19-20. Even with bad knees he was tough out there, dirty player I learned that too LOL. Expected practice to be really hard. Suicides end of the day based on everyone shooting FTs. one-in-one from the line miss the first full suicide, make the first miss the 2nd half suicide, make them both next FT shooter. We had 12 guys on the team and were tired from 2 hour practices and this was always the ending. When he was pissed he and the assistant would shoot also and miss on purpose LOL. Love Gator, great basketball mind.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
You played for Tommy B at LHHS? My brother may have been the JV coach if timing right? Boyd Johnson years at all?

He taught me more in 2 years as a 12-13 year old than my famous HS coach did,tremendous teacher. I know how to switch, take charges, BC fast breaks, cover through the baseline and so much more prior to HS. Tough player too I was able to play with him in city hoops near the end of his career when I was about 19-20. Even with bad knees he was tough out there, dirty player I learned that too LOL. Expected practice to be really hard. Suicides end of the day based on everyone shooting FTs. one-in-one from the line miss the first full suicide, make the first miss the 2nd half suicide, make them both next FT shooter. We had 12 guys on the team and were tired from 2 hour practices and this was always the ending. When he was pissed he and the assistant would shoot also and miss on purpose LOL. Love Gator, great basketball mind.
Platt freshman team. 75-76

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Looks worth a trip, I'd never heard of it.

Reaction Score

I was just coming here to post about Safari Golf, that place rules. I haven't been there in about 6-7 years but I have to imagine it's alive and well. Place was always packed. Great course too!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom