Best Italian Restaurants and Stores in NY, CT, and MA. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Best Italian Restaurants and Stores in NY, CT, and MA.

Reaction Score
There are at least a dozen excellent Italian delis in CT, but Sappori d‘Italia in Hamden is worth a trip for its eggplant pizzaiola alone. Everything else is great, but I‘ve never had or seen anything like that anywhere else.
Their mini spinach bread and mini broccoli breads are great too. But, if the truth be told, Michelangelo's on Derby Avenue in West Haven has better, crispier mini breads. The odd part is they are owned by the same owner(s). Not sure if they cook them longer at Michelangelo or why the reason.

Other than that, the food is basically the same. May be a better pastry selection at Sappori where they have benches in the back if people want to eat outside in clement weather.

At lunchtime, best to call in to Sappori or have a long wait in line.

Reaction Score
Im addicted to the chicola bread at roccos in new haven. Theres another place in hamden that is just as good if not better

Little Italy in Wallingford is my overwhelming favorite for Chicola Bread (...and I’ve had/still buy all the others Venice, Rocco’s, Apicella’a Lupi-Legna, T&J). We are blessed to have so many choices.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We might have to next create a thread for best Italian bakery.

Im addicted to the chicola bread at roccos in new haven. Theres another place in hamden that is just as good if not better
For cakes, pastries and cookies, Lucibello's in New Haven.

I believe Sapori d'Italia in Hamden also does the chicola bread; our friends who bring their eggplant pizzaiola usually bring that, too.

I like Apicella's Italian bread.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Try Sal's on lower High Ridge Road. In the plaza where Coalhouse Pizza is. Assuming he's still around, Sal filled each cannoli to order...

And Beldotti's is excellent. But it's kosher (dairy), so there's a bunch of Italian specialities they don't offer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Solid food but I can eat their My Mother’s Chips (fried Zucchini/Eggplant) till the cows come home!
They do those at Da Capo in Litchfield where Viron Rondo used to be, I get those and a salad when I'm back in CT.
TheVenetian in Torrington, good food, nice ambiance. But strictly just food, I’d have to pick Anthony’s on Main St. in Torrington.
Grew up eating at Anthony's once a week. The Venetian is a classic old world place that's incredibly hard to find in cities anymore. Sadly I heard nobody in Michael's family is interested in taking it over, it would be a real shame if it went out of business. Totally class place with the booths and beautiful murals, Michael welcoming you at the door in a suit, tableside Caesar salad and Dover sole. It's been there for an astonishing 100 years.

Reaction Score
Cafe Silvium in Stamford. (Hard to get in)
Ralph and Richs' ( Bridgeport)
Dolce ( Danbury)
Babbo ( Manhattan) expensive

The northeast has many great Italian restaurants, live in Minnesota where Olive Garden is the only choice
I understand. I moved to Spacecoast and miss the many options in CT. I grew up on pastries from Modern and Mozzicatos on Franklin Ave.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I didn't say pastries... You won't be getting any prosciutto bread at Beldottis (I went to high school with Mike) :p

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
A bottle or red, a bottle of white, it all depends upon your appetite. Get a table near the street at Emilio's in little Italy. Always a favorite.

Reaction Score
Two great ones in western suburbs of Boston that are no more:

1. Vechia Roma in Newton, a hidden gem
2. Casa Mia in Waltham (opened later in a different location and under a different name, but the quality at that point was greatly diminished)

Casa Mia was my favorite. The owner held center court most nights, greeting all of his guests with a hand shake and a hug like you were family. Small place. Food was great, and he ran it like each of his patrons were special. I later learned that he was a mob capo in the Patriarcha crime family, and also the first of la casa Nostra to be captured on fbi wire tap during a mob induction ceremony.

Reaction Score
Post/avatar/handle
Chefs Kiss Reaction GIF by Nick Jonas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul