Best Ice Cream in Connecticut | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best Ice Cream in Connecticut

Reaction Score
Rich's Farm is still my favorite.
When it first opened their Snickers actually contained half a snickers bar
We go at leat once when were in state. Rainy days are best to avoid lines.
Ice Cream is so-so in AZ except the
frozen custard chains like Culvers

Reaction Score
DQ all day every day there is no better choice its the only choice, for real Mcdonalds has great ice cream. Does anyone here get really bad service when ever they go to friendly's.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
My nominees for best ice cream in state
1 Rich Farms

I don't know if they have a store, but I hear good things about Breyer's.

I would try that.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
There actually used to be diabetic ice cream years ago distributed by Sealtest (which got bought out by Hood). The available flavors were vanilla, chocolate, & coffee. Haven't seen it around for years.

Actually, I've had very good sugar-free ice cream from Purity in Ithaca, NY, but I'm not looking for a sugar substitute, just rich, creamy coffee flavor, but no added sweetener.

Reaction Score
Am I the only fan of the Peanut Buster Parfait at DQ?

HEEELLLLLLLLLL NO!!!! The DQ in Niantic is by far the best around, there's something about their ice cream. PBP's rule!

Reaction Score
Dzen's Garden in Ellington has a unique take by only selling soft serve. They have like 30 flavors.

Reaction Score
Bad service is the Friendly's way. It's built into their business plan.

Yep pretty much every time I go there, I had to wait once 45 minutes for an ice cream then I decided to leave.

Reaction Score
Buttonwood Farm in Griswold. End of debate. If you haven't been, go.

Rich Farm, Sweet Claude's, The UConn Dairy bar are in the next tier.

Shady Glen and Wentworth's below that. Anyone who says that Wentworth's is better than Sweet Claude's is lying.

Reaction Score

Shady Glen and Wentworth's below that. Anyone who says that Wentworth's is better than Sweet Claude's is lying.
Guess I'm a liar, but Wentworth's is my preference.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
UConn Dairy Bar is the best, unless it has somehow changed since the last time I ate there (about ten years ago.) UDB is the ONLY ice cream that doesn't have air pumped into it to expand the volume. UDB is hand packed.
In case you don't believe me, watch this:

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I like Wentworth's as well. Haven't been to some of the places I used to go as a kid in ages - AC Peterson's in West Hartford was the main one, I also remember stopping at Salem valley farms on the way to Rhode Island. I remember them being good but I was a kid so I don't know if I'd still find them to be special as an adult.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I can almost fall out of bed into Wentworth's. Takes all of my will power to drive past. Haven't been to the Dairy Bar in years, but great stuff. Claude's once (a pain to take a left out of). There's a pretty good place on RT 69 in Prospect called Big Dipper. I think Ashley's is a cut below. But it's hard to get terrible ice-cream.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I haven't had one in decades but they were great, far to superior to the "Dilly bar". If not the Buster Bar, then I'd go with the Mister Misty.
The Mister Misty was what I grew up on. Loved that Lemon/Lime.

Reaction Score
Les's east side of Meriden was always very good.......not sure about these days!!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The Mister Misty was what I grew up on. Loved that Lemon/Lime.
I think they call them artic rush now, a far weaker product. Have to go with Rita's now.

Reaction Score
I've spent a lot of time eating ice cream in Connecticut. My favorites are as follows:

1. Rich Farm - Oxford
2. Claude's - Cheshire
3. Wentworth's (literally right down the road from Claude's) - Hamden

Rich Farm is light-years above the rest. Without a doubt.

I love Sweet Claude's it's my favorite. I went to Wentworth's and couldn't make it past all the neon artificial coloring. Mint chocolate chip ice cream should not look like a cycling jersey or a GoDaddy race car.

Reaction Score
Dzen's Garden in Ellington has a unique take by only selling soft serve. They have like 30 flavors.
Place is great. Burke Ridge Farm down the road in South Windsor is really good too. Also, both had really cute girls when I was in high school.

Reaction Score
The best ice cream I've ever had was in Ann Arbor MI called Kilwins. They were never in the East. Now there is one in Newport RI and Portsmouth NH. If you go, try the toasted coconut and then try and tell me that's not the best ever.

Reaction Score
The best ice cream I've ever had was in Ann Arbor MI called Kilwins. They were never in the East. Now there is one in Newport RI and Portsmouth NH. If you go, try the toasted coconut and then try and tell me that's not the best ever.
I'n an ice cream and pizza snob.
I just returned from Ct
Three Pepe's visit with a shared cannoli from libby's
One visit to Rich's farm
Mocha almond fudge I'm still thinking of
Never heard of Kilwins in AZ but we certainly could use a good store out here. We will drive to Tucson if the ice creams that good.
Cold-Stone hardly qualifies as Ice Cream
I will look around for them.
Any favorite flavors?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I haven't had one in decades but they were great, far to superior to the "Dilly bar". If not the Buster Bar, then I'd go with the Mister Misty.
Mister Misty=instant brain freeze

Reaction Score

Finally a vote for something east of the river.

Buttonwood Farms is excellent-Check out the Sunflower display in June ( I guess any day now)
Salem Valley Farms- 5 minutes from my house so maybe it tastes better without a long drive, they have butter crunch which I don't see much anymore
Uconn Dairy Bar

Reaction Score
When we lived in Norwich, we would drive by Buttonwood on our way to Rhode Island and Fall River to visit my wife's family, and every time we drove by we would see 30-50 people waiting in line for ice cream. We thought "it can't be that good, it must be that there's just nothing else around". We finally decided to stop on an afternoon in March right after they opened since the line wasn't quite as long as usual. We were wrong. It is that good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom