Best home game experience | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best home game experience

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I thought AZ was number 1 or 2?
That's what I remembered, too, but this said otherwise, so I trusted it instead of my memory:
MEN: December 9, 2000-UConn's Tony Robertson took a runner in the lane with 1.8 seconds remaining in a tie game that was swatted away but Arizona's Lorin Woods was called for goal tending and the No. 15 ranked Huskies edged the No. 5 ranked Wildcats 71-69.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think that was during the 1988-89 season.

Nope, it was 88. It went NIT, crap year, Dream Season. That game was louder than any Gampel game, probably any Storrs game ever.
And like others said, that 1990 G'Town game was unreal. It was an ice storm outside and scalpers still made a mint. At a timeout, I turned to the guy next to me and said, "Not bad for 11 bucks." And he said, "I paid $150. for the pair." This was for Row M in the 200's.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Nope, it was 88. It went NIT, crap year, Dream Season. That game was louder than any Gampel game, probably any Storrs game ever.
And like others said, that 1990 G'Town game was unreal. It was an ice storm outside and scalpers still made a mint. At a timeout, I turned to the guy next to me and said, "Not bad for 11 bucks." And he said, "I paid $150. for the pair." This was for Row M in the 200's.

Yes, the game I was thinking of was in the 1989 NIT vs UAB, NIT quarterfinals. It was a UAB player who made that quote.

Last edited:

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
I feel like 2014 Louisville at Gampel where Ollie was ejected was an electric atmosphere that gets forgotten because we lost the game. Place was rockin

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yes, the game I was thinking of was in the 1989 NIT vs UAB, NIT quarterfinals. It was a UAB player who made that quote.
We got Ogged in that one, we really missed Jeff King.

Reaction Score
2013, you mean? If so, same here. It was the first day back from Thanksgiving break. I wasn't exactly in love with UConn. In fact, I had started to fill out the common app again to begin applying to other schools. That game is probably the biggest reason why I remained a Husky and graduated from UConn a month ago.

"Back tap. Napier. For the win!" Music to my ears.

Yea 2013 duh... My fealings are very similar. It was basically the night I fell in love with UConn not to sound dopey

Reaction Score
Although I have seen this kind of thread pop up from time to time, it is fun to think about... With that having been said, I have heard that the crowd at the game in Gampel against #1 Texas in 2010 was rocking the joint early on and for the entire 2nd half.

But the best one I ever attended was amazingly at the Hartford Civic Center - January 20, 1990 vs. Georgetown. If Georgetown won that game they would be voted #1 in the country that next Monday. And everyone that showed up that night knew it. I had the great fortune of announcing that game courtside for WHUS. And from even 10 minutes before the opening tap, the place was electric. And as we built the early lead, it grew louder and louder until it reached a crescendo as we made it 14-0 in the first 6 minutes. Then of course Georgetown came roaring back... Mourning talking trash into Henefeld's ear on the foul line virtually right in front of me in the first half... and then Henefeld coming out and having the best 2nd half I ever saw a UConn player have in such a big spot. Hitting clutch 3 after clutch 3, until we finally put them away in the last minute, the crowd going crazy... Johnnie Gwynn's hyper tongue flick as Henefeld was sinking the free throw daggers.

The game that unofficially put UConn on the map, and still my favorite regular season memory of all time. And thanks to tcf15 you can go to the website he set up and watch that game in its entirety. I personally recommend that you do... it is a fun, rollicking and yet gut-wrenching game to watch even now, over 27 years later. And the best part is, the good guys prevail in the end!
The old Civic Center was rocking .I know BYers who never had that experience won't believe it. But the fan base was still non corporate.
I didn't think GT would ever score. It might have been the best UConn D ever ,against a great team.

Reaction Score
Although I have seen this kind of thread pop up from time to time, it is fun to think about... With that having been said, I have heard that the crowd at the game in Gampel against #1 Texas in 2010 was rocking the joint early on and for the entire 2nd half.

But the best one I ever attended was amazingly at the Hartford Civic Center - January 20, 1990 vs. Georgetown. If Georgetown won that game they would be voted #1 in the country that next Monday. And everyone that showed up that night knew it. I had the great fortune of announcing that game courtside for WHUS. And from even 10 minutes before the opening tap, the place was electric. And as we built the early lead, it grew louder and louder until it reached a crescendo as we made it 14-0 in the first 6 minutes. Then of course Georgetown came roaring back... Mourning talking trash into Henefeld's ear on the foul line virtually right in front of me in the first half... and then Henefeld coming out and having the best 2nd half I ever saw a UConn player have in such a big spot. Hitting clutch 3 after clutch 3, until we finally put them away in the last minute, the crowd going crazy... Johnnie Gwynn's hyper tongue flick as Henefeld was sinking the free throw daggers.

The game that unofficially put UConn on the map, and still my favorite regular season memory of all time. And thanks to tcf15 you can go to the website he set up and watch that game in its entirety. I personally recommend that you do... it is a fun, rollicking and yet gut-wrenching game to watch even now, over 27 years later. And the best part is, the good guys prevail in the end!
Ding ding ding......we have a winner

Reaction Score
The old Civic Center was rocking .I know BYers who never had that experience won't believe it. But the fan base was still non corporate.
I didn't think GT would ever score. It might have been the best UConn D ever ,against a great team.
I old enough (barely) to remember the old Civic Center with the red seats. I dont know why, but this post made me think of that.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
UConn and Georgetown at the XL Center in 2008. UConn lost but both teams were highly ranked (2nd and 11th). I've been to more UConn away games than home games so there aren't a lot to choose from.

Interestingly, just a few days later, I had flown back to Utah where I watched 6th ranked Wake Forest take on BYU in Provo. The atmosphere at that game was incredible. I was on the 2nd row right at center court. It was a close game but ultimately Wake Forest pulled ahead at the end.

Reaction Score
I remember going to a game at Gampel against a ranked Harvard team (I think in 2011) and there was a contingent of Harvard students who started chanting "state school state school" when it became obvious UConn was going to win. The entire student section turned to them and started chanting "daddy's money" (clap clap clapclapclap). Great moment.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Seeing as everyone is mentioning losses: 2OT vs GTown in 2013 was absolutely ridiculous especially when Omar buried a 3 to send it to the first OT. Unfortunately I think we squandered leads in both OTs. Refs also completely blew a call giving GTown a 3 to go ahead when he was clearly on the line and didn't bother reviewing. Making that even more frustrating was Neils getting Td up for inadvertently bumping into a GTown player following a 10 minute review.

Reaction Score

Many are too young to remember let alone attend that game. It was nuts...those Georgetown teams were loaded and intimidating. That was the game that launched dream season and let whole country know the team from Storrs was for real.

Reaction Score
2005 VS Cuse @ Gampel. Was my first game on campus after being to about 20 at the Civic Center as a kid and we blew em out of the water on national TV. Wore my brand new Okafor Bobcats jersey and was blasted by fans left and right who thought it was a Cuse jersey but was totally worth it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom