Best home game experience | The Boneyard

Best home game experience

Reaction Score
What is your favorite home game memory?

Despite the fact that we lost, the Syracuse game in 2012 at Gampel is the single greatest sports atmosphere I have ever been apart of.

Please share yours! I don't care if it's from 2016 or 1946.

Reaction Score
Although I have seen this kind of thread pop up from time to time, it is fun to think about... With that having been said, I have heard that the crowd at the game in Gampel against #1 Texas in 2010 was rocking the joint early on and for the entire 2nd half.

But the best one I ever attended was amazingly at the Hartford Civic Center - January 20, 1990 vs. Georgetown. If Georgetown won that game they would be voted #1 in the country that next Monday. And everyone that showed up that night knew it. I had the great fortune of announcing that game courtside for WHUS. And from even 10 minutes before the opening tap, the place was electric. And as we built the early lead, it grew louder and louder until it reached a crescendo as we made it 14-0 in the first 6 minutes. Then of course Georgetown came roaring back... Mourning talking trash into Henefeld's ear on the foul line virtually right in front of me in the first half... and then Henefeld coming out and having the best 2nd half I ever saw a UConn player have in such a big spot. Hitting clutch 3 after clutch 3, until we finally put them away in the last minute, the crowd going crazy... Johnnie Gwynn's hyper tongue flick as Henefeld was sinking the free throw daggers.

The game that unofficially put UConn on the map, and still my favorite regular season memory of all time. And thanks to tcf15 you can go to the website he set up and watch that game in its entirety. I personally recommend that you do... it is a fun, rollicking and yet gut-wrenching game to watch even now, over 27 years later. And the best part is, the good guys prevail in the end!

Reaction Score
Although I have seen this kind of thread pop up from time to time, it is fun to think about... With that having been said, I have heard that the crowd at the game in Gampel against #1 Texas in 2010 was rocking the joint early on and for the entire 2nd half.

But the best one I ever attended was amazingly at the Hartford Civic Center - January 20, 1990 vs. Georgetown. If Georgetown won that game they would be voted #1 in the country that next Monday. And everyone that showed up that night knew it. I had the great fortune of announcing that game courtside for WHUS. And from even 10 minutes before the opening tap, the place was electric. And as we built the early lead, it grew louder and louder until it reached a crescendo as we made it 14-0 in the first 6 minutes. Then of course Georgetown came roaring back... Mourning talking trash into Henefeld's ear on the foul line virtually right in front of me in the first half... and then Henefeld coming out and having the best 2nd half I ever saw a UConn player have in such a big spot. Hitting clutch 3 after clutch 3, until we finally put them away in the last minute, the crowd going crazy... Johnnie Gwynn's hyper tongue flick as Henefeld was sinking the free throw daggers.

The game that unofficially put UConn on the map, and still my favorite regular season memory of all time. And thanks to tcf15 you can go to the website he set up and watch that game in its entirety. I personally recommend that you do... it is a fun, rollicking and yet gut-wrenching game to watch even now, over 27 years later. And the best part is, the good guys prevail in the end!

I wish I could've been at the Texas game! But I remember exactly where I was...

Reaction Score
2014 Florida ... My First semester on campus took my fandom to another level

I'm so old!! Wish I could've been at Gampel that night. I remember watching that game in my first dc apartment that night

Reaction Score
MSG has been our home court against Cuse plenty of times, each one sweeter than the next. We are what makes Syracuse the program that is never quite there.

But at Gampel... Kemba vs Nova and Shabazz vs Florida stand out. The Florida game in particular because Shabazz told the whole country that the year was his.

I loved Frank Mason this year, but he was the starter version of Shabazz. One of the more memorable gamers the college game will ever see.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
At a UConn game, probably the Gampel,opener against St. John's.
Overall for college hoops, Missouri with Anthony Peeler against KU at AFH.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
2011 vs Villanova
2013 vs Syracuse
2013 vs Louisville
2013 vs Florida
2014 vs Louisville

nice to be young :)

PS: that's not an insult

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
The best home games for me were in the dream season. Beating Cuse and Georgetown in back to back home games in the HCC can't be touched. We were starving, and it was the first time we legitimately arrived on the national stage. The entire state was excited and involved. The atmosphere was awesome, with loud cheers ongoing throughout the entire game and not just the student section or Red's U-C-O-N-N (not sure Red was a thing in 89/90).

Throughout the 90's interest in the program peaked, scalpers used to make big bucks, good tickets to good games were more expensive then they are 20 years later. We actually had seasons when season tickets sold out both arenas.

I think we became spoiled and complacent, I think even Geno has complained about such as he longs for those days and he still has the best program in the country.

Maybe our down years will make us appreciate WINNING more when we start WINNING this fall

Reaction Score
Can't remember if it was 94 or 95, but the game where Nova came in ranked #1 in the country and Ray Allen and company completely steamrolled them. I was only 12 or 13 at the time but it was an incredible atmosphere.

Reaction Score
What is your favorite home game memory?

Despite the fact that we lost, the Syracuse game in 2012 at Gampel is the single greatest sports atmosphere I have ever been apart of.

Please share yours! I don't care if it's from 2016 or 1946.

Pretty sure I was at that one....was that the one where Roscoe missed the game winner with a fadeaway at the free throw line?

Reaction Score
Was at the game when they beat #1 Texas at Gampel, if I remember correctly Dyson went off.

I also remember a great win against WV at Gampel and Huggie got thrown out of the game, that was fun to watch.

Was also at the Syracuse game at Gampel where Roscoe missed the fade away free throw shot at the end, we lost but probably the loudest I've ever heard Gampel.

Even though it's not a home game I'm counting our most recent win against Syracuse at MSG this past season, that was an awesome game to see and our fans really turned out and outnumbered the Orange on that one. Fun to dance out of MSG with the Uconn band too

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Beating Syracuse 71-69 at the Civic Center 0n February 20, 1985. We were Big East doormats and they were royalty. Earl Kelly vs. Pearl Washington. The place went nuts and that's the moment I got hooked for life.

Beating Arizona 71-69 at Gampel on December 9, 2000 on the goal-tending call on T-Rob's runner in the lane with 1.8 seconds left. I won courtside seats in a charity auction and we heckled Fudge Packer. Arizona was ranked 5th and we were 15th. We never used to get breaks like that, so I couldn't have cared less that the goal-tending call was likely wrong.

I was at the 2012 Gampel game vs. Syracuse and that is definitely the loudest I've ever heard it at Gampel, and the environment and experience were great; but leaving with a loss never sits well with me so I can't put it at the top.

Reaction Score
2014 Florida ... My First semester on campus took my fandom to another level
2013, you mean? If so, same here. It was the first day back from Thanksgiving break. I wasn't exactly in love with UConn. In fact, I had started to fill out the common app again to begin applying to other schools. That game is probably the biggest reason why I remained a Husky and graduated from UConn a month ago.

"Back tap. Napier. For the win!" Music to my ears.

Reaction Score
That game vs Texas in 2010 was crazy. As soon as you walked into Gampel, you could just tell that it had a different feel to it. The Syracuse and Louisville college game days come close, but I still think the Texas game was the loudest.

Reaction Score
Times changed with the fat cats on board. We had tickets behind the basket opposite the student section. My buddies and I were loud and enthusiastic rooting for the good guys. Then ushers approached us and told us we had to sit down and tone it down. It totally turned us off. This was in the mid 90's. Even though we were in our 50's I would have much preferred to sit with the students.

Reaction Score
Not exactly on topic, but this got me thinking: say the Witchita game is at Gampel (which it should be) and they come in as a top 5 team, what would you guys imagine the environment being like for that game?

Reaction Score
Beating Syracuse 71-69 at the Civic Center 0n February 20, 1985. We were Big East doormats and they were royalty. Earl Kelly vs. Pearl Washington. The place went nuts and that's the moment I got hooked for life.

Beating Arizona 71-69 at Gampel on December 9, 2000 on the goal-tending call on T-Rob's runner in the lane with 1.8 seconds left. I won courtside seats in a charity auction and we heckled Fudge Packer. Arizona was ranked 5th and we were 15th. We never used to get breaks like that, so I couldn't have cared less that the goal-tending call was likely wrong.

I was at the 2012 Gampel game vs. Syracuse and that is definitely the loudest I've ever heard it at Gampel, and the environment and experience were great; but leaving with a loss never sits well with me so I can't put it at the top.

I thought AZ was number 1 or 2?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The game vs. Auburn this year. We lost which was a bummer but that crowd was ridiculous for the final five or so minutes and OT. The guy behind us kept screaming "Take over, Rodney. Take over, Rodney." We were joking that he had a naked picture of him in his house. Anyway, we mercilessly heckled the kid from Waterbury (we were about five rows back) and he butcherd some clutch free throws to allow us to go to OT.

Reaction Score
A lot already mentioned and been to all the ones from 2000-present. The Nova game at gampel in 06ish was hands down the best atmosphere when compared to the Texas game in 09.

Nardi loves coldplay

For games UConn didn't win and not counting MSG 6 OT game. The game at civic center vs #1? Kansas in 98ish always sticks out to me. That place was bananas that day

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
1988 NIT vs VCU at the Field House. Watch it and you will love it.

I think that was during the 1988-89 season. I've seen film clips from the game. It went into OT, I believe. The entire arena had a smoky look in the air at the end. They later asked the custodial staff what was causing that. They said the crowd was so loud that the vibration from the sound was causing dust to loosen from the rafters and fall to the court. One of the VCU players in the post game interviews remarked, "The crowd gave me chill bumps!"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom