Best Golf Courses Played | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Best Golf Courses Played

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Buena Vista. And please take this to the womens board.

Reaction Score
Outside of Pomfret's 9 of course -
Wanamoisett
Kittanssett
Harbor Town
Pine needles
New Seabury (blue - ocean course0
Portland cc
Belgrade Lakes

Reaction Score
Ballybunion
Royal Dublin
Mt Saint Anne
Samoset
Some 9 holer north of Camden Maine.
Played Samoset after spending a week doing Outward Bound at Hurricane Island. After a week of doing an ocean course along with spending a couple of days by myself on an island it was great to play there, but I played like crap.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Add Glen Eagles in Dallas, Yale GC (was a grad student and played it after only hitting the driving range. Rutgers GC is also a nice track, it also serves as their botanical garden.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Played Samoset after spending a week doing Outward Bound at Hurricane Island. After a week of doing an ocean course along with spending a couple of days by myself on an island it was great to play there, but I played like crap.
Never add play like crap, it’s a given we all ply like crap but we still play - and love it!

Reaction Score
Kenney Park a d Quarry Ridge.

But it must be noted that they represent the only two courses I have ever played on. Each time being a BYC tournament.

IIMHO, Quarry Ridge was the nicer of the two.
Well, they let you fire the cannon there. You’d get return fire at Keney.

Reaction Score
The nicest golf course I've played is Highland Links (9 holes).

I worked at a golf course here in Virginia. It was named the best new golf course in the eastern U.S. the year it opened. It's funny because it struggled, but it was getting along. Then a guy who worked at Pinehurst came, got an agreement to buy the course over time and manage it, and he ran it into the ground. He had no people skills. The guys office was right off the pro shop and he'd be yelling obscenities at his girlfriend while people were trying to pay for a round. It was a nice course. People loved it and we kept it in nice condition, even in the hot VA summer, especially July.

Also, a late friend of mine had a place on Kiawah. He and his wife were volunteers for the PGA and work at a few U.S. Opens there. He even got a hat signed by several top pro golfers and gave it to my dad (one of his best friends). Sadly, he got pancreatic cancer and passed on a few years ago.

back2BE4us

The Carpenter will carpent.
Reaction Score
Me and a group of about 11 others are going over to Ireland next year.

Anyone care to give me a rundown of about 5-7 courses that are must plays?

Reaction Score
My top 8 I’ve played.

1) Ballybunion
2) Fishers Island
3) Waterville
4) Tralee
5) Old Head
6) Bethpage Black
7) Wolf Creek
8) Medalist Club
I’m not sure who’s going to top this list.

Tralee was my #1 over Waterville. McArthur would be on there too. Royal Portrush. Ocean Course…

My comment above is now amended having seen more of this list.

And for all you New Yorkers discussing Westchester CC and Quail Ridge, I think Wykagyl, Sleepy Hollow, and Siwanoy may be superior.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Giving a like to all the posts and future posts in this thread. So many players, so many wonderful places played.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
The nicest golf course I've played is Highland Links (9 holes).

I worked at a golf course here in Virginia. It was named the best new golf course in the eastern U.S. the year it opened. It's funny because it struggled, but it was getting along. Then a guy who worked at Pinehurst came, got an agreement to buy the course over time and manage it, and he ran it into the ground. He had no people skills. The guys office was right off the pro shop and he'd be yelling obscenities at his girlfriend while people were trying to pay for a round. It was a nice course. People loved it and we kept it in nice condition, even in the hot VA summer, especially July.

Also, a late friend of mine had a place on Kiawah. He and his wife were volunteers for the PGA and work at a few U.S. Opens there. He even got a hat signed by several top pro golfers and gave it to my dad (one of his best friends). Sadly, he got pancreatic cancer and passed on a few years ago.
Forgot to add Highland Links. The views are spectacular but the course is not well taken care of. Too bad they didn't put in 18 holes.

Reaction Score

Play Adare Manor, go to the pub after 10 at night. The locals come and sing with great gusto. Fun time for sure! Adare will be the site of a future major international match. Which I don't know.
Please remember that many of these courses are not maintained like in the US but much fun in their own way like crossing a cemetery or hitting over a barn. Enjoy.

Reaction Score
Play Adare Manor, go to the pub after 10 at night. The locals come and sing with great gusto. Fun time for sure! Adare will be the site of a future major international match. Which I don't know.
Please remember that many of these courses are not maintained like in the US but much fun in their own way like crossing a cemetery or hitting over a barn. Enjoy.
2027 Ryder Cup

Green fees $500
caddie $125

Reaction Score

We were there last year we used a tour group and would highly recommended going that route. We used Experience Ireland Golf and Travel. Same group that No Laying Up used.

They were phenomenal to deal with. I would say my top 5 I played in Ireland and a must are:
Ballybunion (Old course)
Tralee
Lahinch
Waterville (best logo)
Old Head (the most beautiful course I’ve ever played). The views are breathtaking.
Adare Manor (didn’t play but heard it’s insane)

Killarney golf course is a parkland golf course but very cool and had some great finishing holes. A lot of deer as well.

Killarney is the town you’d stay in for all the courses but Old Head. It’s very lively, I can provide some good spots.

Reaction Score
Also, I would highly recommend swinging for the caddies. I don’t feel you need one for Old Head.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't golf but I caddied during the Special Olympics at Yale. I remember at the time thinking it's what would happen if a mini golf course designer made a real course. Nevermind that 9th hole green, I recall a Par 3 that was basically a green on top of a mesa (my player hit the green!). There were blind second shots, I had to run to the crest of the hill to see where the flag was. What do you real golfers who played there think about it? Is it too tricked up or a unique challenge? I always wondered.

Reaction Score
Outside of Pomfret's 9 of course -
Wanamoisett
Kittanssett
Harbor Town
Pine needles
New Seabury (blue - ocean course0
Portland cc
Belgrade Lakes
Another vote for New Seabury...which is an absolute beast when the wind is whipping in from the Bay...

Reaction Score
Played all of these.

Old Head visually is my #1 but wasn’t the most challenging test.

Ballybunion was amazing. That first tee ball you’re hoping you don’t cut/slice one into the cemetery.
Yup, I was petrified of ending up in the cemetery, until our first guy ended up there. I hit a nice drive to the right of the fairway, short approach shot and sunk a 20 foot birdie to start the round.

Then it went downhill. Ballybunion is probably my favorite course I have ever played.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom