Best Godfather Scene | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best Godfather Scene

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I read the Godfather. I actually thought the movie was better. The book is so insanely sexist that it is distracting from the story, and the same problem exists in the book. All Michael has to do is give an order and everyone dies.

I have read some books on organized crime, and a common theme among all the bosses across ethnic groups is the sixth sense they have for danger. Barzini should have been almost impossible to get to, otherwise, why were we afraid of him in the first place?

Reaction Score
I read the Godfather. I actually thought the movie was better. The book is so insanely s e xist that it is distracting from the story, and the same problem exists in the book. All Michael has to do is give an order and everyone dies.

I have read some books on organized crime, and a common theme among all the bosses across ethnic groups is the sixth sense they have for danger. Barzini should have been almost impossible to get to, otherwise, why were we afraid of him in the first place?

he was shot by a cop, it was the ultimate disguised hit.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I read the Godfather. I actually thought the movie was better. The book is so insanely s e xist that it is distracting from the story, and the same problem exists in the book. All Michael has to do is give an order and everyone dies.

Okay, I guess you and I walked away with different impressions. I'm sure it's not the first or last time that has/will happen.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My favorite scene is when Mike tells the senator "My offer is this - nothing".

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
I read the Godfather. I actually thought the movie was better. The book is so insanely s e xist that it is distracting from the story, and the same problem exists in the book. All Michael has to do is give an order and everyone dies. I have read some books on organized crime, and a common theme among all the bosses across ethnic groups is the sixth sense they have for danger. Barzini should have been almost impossible to get to, otherwise, why were we afraid of him in the first place?

The rape deal in the book is disturbing

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
didn't Luca Brasi toss a baby into a furnace in the book?
Yes and it was his baby. There was quite a bit in the book that was quite disturbing. I believe that Puzo could keep a team of psychiatrists busy for years.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
"...and I kept sayin' a Michael Corleone did this....and a Michael Corleone did that...so I said, 'Yeah, sure.'..."

Reaction Score
Yes and it was his baby. There was quite a bit in the book that was quite disturbing. I believe that Puzo could keep a team of psychiatrists busy for years.

That’s one thing that I’ve heard, the movie didn’t convey exactly how unsettled Luca Brasi made the Don himself due to the type of monster that Luca was. Didn’t Luca kill his own wife too after he killed the baby? Or she killed herself?

CL82

Reaction Score
That’s one thing that I’ve heard, the movie didn’t convey exactly how unsettled Luca Brasi made the Don himself due to the type of monster that Luca was. Didn’t Luca kill his own wife too after he killed the baby? Or she killed herself?
I believe he made her kill the baby. Definitely a scary guy.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
From what I remember (it's been decades since I read the book) an elderly woman in Sicily (sent back to remain quiet) told Michael the story when he was in hiding after killing Solazzo & McCluskey. She was wet nurse when the baby was born and immediately upon birth Luca took the kid and threw it live into a coal furnace. The mother was a prostitute and evidently Luca wanted no ties to her. I don't remember if she was or was not killed.

I do remember from the book the story of Luca and a crew laying in wait for some thugs that Al Capone sent from Chicago to knock off Vito. Evidently Luca was so brutal in chopping up one of the hitmen with an axe while he was still alive another swallowed the rags that they gagged him with in order to choke himself to death.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
thanks for that link, now I'll have to explore that blog.

It's a heartbreaking scene.

Its an amazing scene. You know how we use movie lines during everyday speech? Okay, maybe me. But whenever I use the word 'smart' I think of Fredo screaming "I'm smaht! I'm your older brother, Mike!".

Reaction Score
Its an amazing scene. You know how we use movie lines during everyday speech? Okay, maybe me. But whenever I use the word 'smart' I think of Fredo screaming "I'm smaht! I'm your older brother, Mike!".

When I think of Fredo, I think of BC.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Looked for a clip of this scene from GF2 and found this write up. Explains my sentiments better than I could.

http://www.andsoitbeginsfilms.com/2012/05/my-favorite-scene-godfather-part-ii.html
You ever notice that when Neri kills Fredo, he is saying a Hail Mary in order to catch a big fish for Anthony (Probably to also protect his soul. He has to have some idea he's about to be assassinated). They cut away to Michael in the boat house before he is done, but if you continue the last line of the prayer with Fredo's cadence, Al allows him to finish all the way through to "Amen" before the gun shot rings out. Now THAT is cinema!!

It is also remarkable that the only line the viewer doesn't hear Fredo say is, "Now and at the hour of our death."

Reaction Score
Send Fredo off to do this, send Fredo off to do that. Let Fredo take care of some Mickey Mouse night club somewhere. Send Fredo off to pick somebody up at the airport. I'm your older brother Mike and I was stepped over!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
When Tom Hagen says to Sonny, "If we lose the old man, you make the deal. "

It represents the entire essence of the stories , family, power, self preservation, loyalty.

Reaction Score
The scene I most often refer to is (Tom Hagen and Woltz), "Mr. Corleone is a man who insists on hearing bad new immediately" (and we ALL know what comes next<G>....

Reaction Score
hands down, the baptism sequence when michael corleone settles all the families debt.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It's Godfather Weekend on AMC, which basically means I've seen both Godfather and Godfather, Part II about 5 times over the last 48 hours alone (which makes it approximately 1,527 in total).

I had a question that I don't think I've ever thought of before. I never read the books so perhaps an answer lies within. Anyway. Does Kay ever find out about Appolonia?

Reaction Score
It's Godfather Weekend on AMC, which basically means I've seen both Godfather and Godfather, Part II about 5 times over the last 48 hours alone (which makes it approximately 1,527 in total).

I had a question that I don't think I've ever thought of before. I never read the books so perhaps an answer lies within. Anyway. Does Kay ever find out about Appolonia?

Yes. There's no reference whatsoever to her knowledge in the movies Godfather I or II. However, in Godfather III, when everyone is in Sicily for the opera, Michael tells Kay how much he had thought about her when he previously was there in hiding. She then acerbically responds along the lines of "yeah, and then you got married."

Reaction Score
The endings in both I and II undermine the movies a bit when you step back and think about them. If all he had to do was give an order to kill everyone, why didn't Michael do it earlier?

The two scenes parallel, but their outcomes differ. In Godfather I it works. Michael takes out all his enemies and secures his family's position. In Godfather II, Michael takes out his enemies and yet loses his family. The last scene is of him, sitting alone on a bench while recalling a past family dinner, with his wedding band prominently displayed (even though Kay's long gone, he still wears the ring).

It's the answer to the question he asked of his mother earlier in the film---in being strong for your family, can you lose them? His mom said no, but events prove yes.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
My all time favorite too. Man knows how to negotiate.
Not even the fee for the gaming license, which I would appreciate if you would put up personally.

CL82

Reaction Score
The scene I most often refer to is (Tom Hagen and Woltz), "Mr. Corleone is a man who insists on hearing bad new immediately" (and we ALL know what comes next<G>....

And then he asks for Woltz's driver to take him back to the airport (and presumably flies out) giving himself an alibi.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom