Best "Forward Group" in the Country | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best "Forward Group" in the Country

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
SC as a team, and their fans, should have a little "moxie" going into the season as the defending national champs. I believe that UConn is a superior team and it's not really close, but we won't know for sure until the teams actually play each other.
Yep.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I don't care how much Moxie they drink, it won't help them a bit. ;)
Moxie-Elixir-Glass.jpg
Yep.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A Championship adds a little bit extra confidence to the program. They will need it.
It will be another new experience for them being the game that other teams circle on their calendars. I like the group and Staley. They'll figure it out, but I fully expect there to be a surprise or two along the way.

I like our front court too, obviously, but they haven't played together yet. I anticipate a bump or two in the road there as well. I do like our chances come March though.

I look forward to some great games with the Gamecocks, this year and in the years to come. We'll know better this year, but I wouldn't be a surprised if they have separated themselves from all but one or two programs on an ongoing basis.

Reaction Score
I guess by this he means front court. But he didn't say "hands down" so there must be room for debate.

That's just silly...2 of the 5 are freshmen, another averaged 5 pts/gm last year and the 4th averaged 8 pts/gm 2 years ago at Kentucky. Compared to Gabby, Collier, Samuelson, Stevens and Camara it's not even close.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I don't care how much Moxie they drink, it won't help them a bit. ;)
Moxie-Elixir-Glass.jpg
Taurasi must have had a LARGE stash of this squirreled away in her dorm room or apartment, and consumed it regularly, because she was the epitome' of "Moxie". :cool:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Aja and LaDazhia are the only ones who are 6'5", Alexis Jennings is 6'3", KiKi Herbert Harrigan is 6'2" and LeLe Grissett is 6'3".

All except Grissett who's a guard/forward are natural 4's so SC won't have a big center like Coates this year. We'll be more forward base and mobile with a lot of faceup players.

Grissett who will play the 3/4 is more of a guard then a forward but at 6'3" and being extremely athletic it allows her to play just about any position.

The team has been improving quite a lot since the start of the summer. The trip to Japan seems to really have them bonding. Excited to see how they look this year.

Geez, I can remember back to when Staley first got there, and she had no height on her team. My how times have changed. The good thing is that all of them can't be on the floor at the same time, but they'll make one hell of a "tag team".

Reaction Score
That's just silly...2 of the 5 are freshmen, another averaged 5 pts/gm last year and the 4th averaged 8 pts/gm 2 years ago at Kentucky. Compared to Gabby, Collier, Samuelson, Stevens and Camara it's not even close.

To each is own of course 3 of the 5 are younger then all of UCONNs posts. But don't underestimate what they'll bring to the table. Herbert Harrigan came on strong at the end of her frosh year shooting 60% from the field and averaging 11 ppg. Both Grissett and Williams are young but very talented. Williams was being recruited by UCONN at one point and Grissett was extremely underrated out of high school even if she was rated in the top 25 by most services. Jennings is a totally different player now then she ever was at Kentucky. She's grown an inch, slimmed down and is much more assertive. I could see her 8 ppg turn into 14 or 15 easily. You all know what Wilson is capable of.

Nevertheless I expect it to be a battle in Columbia. The battle of the guards will also be intriguing. Can't wait!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Oldude , I agree. The UConn/USC matchup should be the marquee game of the year. Barring any injuries. And it will be a chance to see just WHO has the Best Forward Group in WBB. If you're below the Mason/Dixon line some may certainly say USC...(Now that they have a NC to tout.) But many in the rest of the country may look at UConn's group of Stevens, Williams , Collier , Batouly , and KLS and say otherwise. Including myself.
Four of the five Uconn players you listed have already proven themselves on the court. How many of those SC front court players have proven themselves? I'm one of those who say otherwise.

Reaction Score
South Carolina has good group of course.... but the best? I am all for fandom and rooting for your team...... so I take no offense at this..... but to be boastful.... beware!!! Cant wait to play them....

As the old Japanese proverb says.... "The nail that sticks out gets hammered down!!"

Reaction Score
To each is own of course 3 of the 5 are younger then all of UCONNs posts. But don't underestimate what they'll bring to the table. Herbert Harrigan came on strong at the end of her frosh year shooting 60% from the field and averaging 11 ppg. Both Grissett and Williams are young but very talented. Williams was being recruited by UConn at one point and Grissett was extremely underrated out of high school even if she was rated in the top 25 by most services. Jennings is a totally different player now then she ever was at Kentucky. She's grown an inch, slimmed down and is much more assertive. I could see her 8 ppg turn into 14 or 15 easily. You all know what Wilson is capable of.

Nevertheless I expect it to be a battle in Columbia. The battle of the guards will also be intriguing. Can't wait!

"To each is (sic) own"...in other words we're all entitled to our own opinion! The problem with "we're all entitled to our own opinion" is that it is often used to defend beliefs that are groundless or without supporting evidence. There is no evidence, from past performance, to suggest that the 5 SC players will be a top unit or that all of them will even get significant playing time, while all of the UConn 5 have substantial records of achievement at the highest levels of D1.

Reaction Score
Oldude , I agree. The UConn/USC matchup should be the marquee game of the year. Barring any injuries. And it will be a chance to see just WHO has the Best Forward Group in WBB. If you're below the Mason/Dixon line some may certainly say USC...(Now that they have a NC to tout.) But many in the rest of the country may look at UConn's group of Stevens, Williams , Collier , Batouly , and KLS and say otherwise. Including myself.
Do you know how many FORMER-Nutmeggers--live below the Mason/Dixon line (on the border of MD)--South Carolina had gotten many of them: Low property taxes, more house for the money, longer warm weather-A/C in every house. Constant traffic issues-- Va/NC/Tn all offer the same. Auto Industry jobs. That's why 8000 families are leaving Ct each year. Uconn Wbb fans never forget their team.

Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score
"To each is (sic) own"...in other words we're all entitled to our own opinion! The problem with "we're all entitled to our own opinion" is that it is often used to defend beliefs that are groundless or without supporting evidence. There is no evidence, from past performance, to suggest that the 5 SC players will be a top unit or that all of them will even get significant playing time, while all of the UConn 5 have substantial records of achievement at the highest levels of D1.
I agree that Uconn has shown it's superiority over a long period.
I dis-agree--We are all entitled to our own opinions --when said--does not imply/infer a voice that cannot defend their beliefs. On the Boneyard---MOST--I think__ think a persons opinion is worthy of expression--and not a cop out without supporting evidence. I must admit: supporting evidence never gets in the way of MY expressing my opinion--true of others--

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
More power to the Gamecocks. They won fair and square without Coates. We will never know who would have won a UConn-SC final. SC benefitted the way UConn did when Lousville knocked off Griner's Baylor. It made our championship a lot easier to achieve. I always felt Baylor would have beaten us. Based on the season as a whole, Collier had a terrible shooting night against Miss State and it took a great shot to beat us. The point being, I'm suspecting that with the addition of our two transfers, no frontcourt matches ours if every front court is operating on all cylinders. But there is a reason they play the games.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I'm sure Coach Chmiel is confident in his group but some of you are taken this way further than it's intent.

Everything is not a UConn slight. It's okay for people to praise something beyond UConn. It's not like he came here to the Boneyard and said this and that.... he said it on twitter to his followers who for the most part are Gamecock fans. Azura and Batouly were both good players at their former schools and everybody knows how good Williams and Collier are... trust me, nobody is forgetting about poor ol' UConn.

I'm surprised the tweet even made it here (then again, actually I'm not) but it is summer and I'm fully aware of how bored some of you are. ;)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
As was apparent to some, there is a history with these sorts of declarations hence my reference to "hands down." There's a ton of nonsense posted on this board, particularly in the off-season, and I decided to do my part knowing full well the responses would ruffle some feathers. All is well SC fans; we're just funnin' ya. Just UConn fans talking to UConn fans on a UConn board. It's not like were out there on twitter talking about this stuff.

What isn't nonsense? The thread started by @DavidinNaples on UConn stats and looking ahead to next season.

Reaction Score

Never did I suggest they would be a top unit instead I implied that they would be a good unit. You also are basing your options without evidence stating that Camara and Stevens has won at the highest levels when they haven't. While 2 of SC's 5 have. Never did I once mention that they were going to be better then UCONNs 5. I just stated that they were going to be good, it reamaims to be seen how good though. Oh and I'm pretty sure all 5 will get significant playing time.

HGN

Reaction Score
Do you know how many FORMER-Nutmeggers--live below the Mason/Dixon line (on the border of MD)--South Carolina had gotten many of them: Low property taxes, more house for the money, longer warm weather-A/C in every house. Constant traffic issues-- Va/NC/Tn all offer the same. Auto Industry jobs. That's why 8000 families are leaving Ct each year. UConn Wbb fans never forget their team.
Great......Once a Nutmegger always a Nutmegger. And Uconn fan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom