Best Dunker in UConn History?

Best UConn Dunker?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

storrsbred1

I remember Fred Shabel but not Billy Gray. Fred coached the team from 1964 to 1967. Uconn went to the Elite Eight in 1964 but were crushed by Duke (Shabel's former team). Back then, freshmen could not play on the varsity but Fred's freshman class might have been better than the '64 team that lost to Duke. In 1965 they went 23-3 but were eliminated by a very good St. Joseph's team in the NCAA tournament. Fred left after 1967 and went on to be athletic director at another school. There was a Bill Gray listed on the 1967 roster but it appears that it was the only year he played?????

I believe that was the case. I seem to remember Gray was from Hillhouse in New Haven. Academics were not his strong suit. He couldn't shoot worth a lick, but man could he jump and dunk.

Reaction Score
Billy Gray for those old enough to remember. Fred Shabel (I think he was the coach when Gray was at UConn) would have the team manager get a ladder and put a quarter on top of the backboard during practice and Gray would pick it off. One of the highest flyers ever.

....pick the quarter off and leave change?? LOL......heard the name and remember it......

Reaction Score
What I remember about Tony Hanson was not the dunks but his ability to score under the basket. He was listed as a guard and was 6' 4" and he played under the basket a lot and no one could stop him there.

Tony had a dunk at the Boston Garden vs URI in the NE Classic sponsored by Cuervo Gold (I know because I rec'd a knit winter hat with CUERVO on it) where he went baseline and double pumped over a potential blocker Sly Williams I believe, and jammed it home in a seemingly impossible dunk, the backboard bouncing around as well as the whole crowd.......it was one of the best ever from a 6'4" dude!!!

But 60's is correct, he could score against anyone, any size around the basket as he had an uncanny creativity to his game........one of my fav's of all-time for sure. Averaged about 28 a game his senior year.......

Reaction Score
You people are all for getting about MARCUS JOHNSON!!! Marcus Johnson was the best Dunker UCONN has ever had!!! He had Crazy Bounce at UCONN's "Midnight Madness" Dunk contests and at USC.
We had this!!!!

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I do remember Marcus Johnson being decent at UConn, averaged like 6ppg in that awful 06-07 campaign.

Reaction Score
You people are all for getting about MARCUS JOHNSON!!! Marcus Johnson was the best Dunker UCONN has ever had!!! He had Crazy Bounce at UCONN's "Midnight Madness" Dunk contests and at USC.
We had this!!!!

That was sweet, but no better than the linked Jerome Dyson dunk (which didn't count) in this thread. And it was not in a Husky uni. He was a great dunker, though.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
1) Tony Robertson - no player made quicker and more frequent transitions from dogging it to warp speed. He could be half asleep, jogging down the court, and then explode out of nowhere for a tremendous dunk.

2) Marcus Johnson - tremendous athlete that never could put the pieces together.

3) Edmund Saunders - not the greatest athlete to ever play at UConn, but no one played with as much ferocity and anger. He was trying to hurt the rim when he dunked.

4) Lyman Depriest - average player that was a very good athlete and had some sweet dunks.

Reaction Score
1) Tony Robertson - no player made quicker and more frequent transitions from dogging it to warp speed. He could be half asleep, jogging down the court, and then explode out of nowhere for a tremendous dunk.

2) Marcus Johnson - tremendous athlete that never could put the pieces together.

3) Edmund Saunders - not the greatest athlete to ever play at UConn, but no one played with as much ferocity and anger. He was trying to hurt the rim when he dunked.

4) Lyman Depriest - average player that was a very good athlete and had some sweet dunks.
I'll never forget LD's dunk against OSU in the NIT. Game-changer in the first minute.

Reaction Score
He would not get my vote as best dunker, but one of the best dunks was by Toraino Walker, back when the Huskies were still on the rise. Better yet, I think it came against Georgetown, one of the established powerhouses at the time.

Walker had to stretch out his arm to grab a rebound that took a generous bounce off the rim and in the same motion threw it down with a windmill dunk.
+1,000

I still talk about that dunk today. He was at the top of the key during a missed Uconn free throw when he came running down the lane in one motion rebounded, dunked AND had a ham sangwich before anyone knew what happened. Without question THE best UConn dunk ever!

However, my vote for overall best UConn dunker would have to go to Stanley.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
He would not get my vote as best dunker, but one of the best dunks was by Toraino Walker, back when the Huskies were still on the rise. Better yet, I think it came against Georgetown, one of the established powerhouses at the time.

Walker had to stretch out his arm to grab a rebound that took a generous bounce off the rim and in the same motion threw it down with a windmill dunk.
That was an awesome jam. When I think of Toraino that dunk pops into my head pretty quick.

Reaction Score
That was sweet, but no better than the linked Jerome Dyson dunk (which didn't count) in this thread. And it was not in a Husky uni. He was a great dunker, though.
Please don't put Jerome Dyson in the same class as Marcus Johnson when it comes to dunking and athleticism! I went to the 3 Midnight Madness dunk contest when Marcus was at Uconn 05.06,07 and let me tell you if you weren't at them, he was a better dunker then Rudy,Sticks and anyone other so called dunker the years he was here. The dude was blessed with off the charts athleticism and dunking ability. Doesn't matter that it wasn't in a Uconn uniform like I put in my box " we had this" If subburn coach Calhoun would have let Marcus flourish instead of holding him back those jaw dropping dunks would have been a regular thing in a Uconn uniform!

Reaction Score
Please don't put Jerome Dyson in the same class as Marcus Johnson when it comes to dunking and athleticism! I went to the 3 Midnight Madness dunk contest when Marcus was at Uconn 05.06,07 and let me tell you if you weren't at them, he was a better dunker then Rudy,Sticks and anyone other so called dunker the years he was here. The dude was blessed with off the charts athleticism and dunking ability. Doesn't matter that it wasn't in a Uconn uniform like I put in my box " we had this" If subburn coach Calhoun would have let Marcus flourish instead of holding him back those jaw dropping dunks would have been a regular thing in a Uconn uniform!

"stubborn" JC?? The guy was a TO waiting to happen and rarely did anything on the court to merit time.....his talent and potential were obvious but JC is nothing more than consistent. earn your time. He didn't......so his dunks were few and far between.............

Reaction Score

I'm not comparing the two players, just the two dunks that were linked in this thread. One was a monster dunk on one's head in transition which didn't count. The other was a monster dunk on one's head which did count. Two great dunks, but nothing to make me miss Marcus Johnson.

FWIW, Dyson contributed more to this program than Johnson. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Johnson didn't do enough here to get it done. He belongs on the list of great dunkers like Doug Wrenn.

Reaction Score
I'm not comparing the two players, just the two dunks that were linked in this thread. One was a monster dunk on one's head in transition which didn't count. The other was a monster dunk on one's head which did count. Two great dunks, but nothing to make me miss Marcus Johnson.

FWIW, Dyson contributed more to this program than Johnson. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Johnson didn't do enough here to get it done. He belongs on the list of great dunkers like Doug Wrenn.
That's your option not to have missed Marcus Johnson. I myself was very torn the day i found out he was leaving.I totally agree he didn't do anywhere near what Jerome did at Uconn. It was obvious once that huge 06 class came just a year into his career the writing was on the wall for him. Very sad.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
MJ was the best UConn dunker of all time, bar none. He was playing very well for Sundsvall in Sweden then left the team for personal reasons and I don't know what's became of him since.

Reaction Score
MJ was the best UConn dunker of all time, bar none. He was playing very well for Sundsvall in Sweden then left the team for personal reasons and I don't know what's became of him since.

I don't remember his dunks making him the best dunker in UConn history. Please, if anyone can refresh my memory on what he did in-game, please do so. I remember how great he was at Midnight Madness. I remember a handful of good to great dunks in-game. Ryan Boatright was our best dunker at Midnight Madness last year. Did that make him our best dunker last year? He's a little guy who can dunk. But his in-game dunks were rather pedestrian. I think he may, and hope he will, show that he's an outstanding dunker this season. But if he left after last season, I hope no none would call him one of our best dunkers.

Reaction Score
Rudy Gay and it's not really close, he's also been one of the best game dunkers in the NBA since he joined the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom