Best Covers of Rock Songs | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Best Covers of Rock Songs

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Elvis did cover a lot, and he loved this one - Polk Salad Annie by Tony Joe White.

I do as well, took up guitar in retirement and enjoy playing around with it.

I also love it, but the one I saw was when Sina did a cover playing the drums with this video. It was so good the the Elvis's Original TCB Band posted it on their Facebook page.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Sure it's a Got Talent show, but some of the greatest singing stars have come out of them.
I don't really see a distinction between performers who get noticed this way vs. putting content on You Tube. There are talented artists doing both. The music industry is certainly different than it used to be.

Reaction Score

Also, not rock originally, but a great live cover by a great band and who can resist dogs “Catch(ing) the Wind”?

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Hopefully I get this right. Bob Dylan wrote and recorded it, but his recording wasn't released for 20 years or something. Doug Sahm had the first recorded version that was released, and Dylan did some vocals on the track. Here's Buddy Miller w/ his wife Julie doing a nice rendition of it. Both Dylan and Sahm's versions are kinda country rock, but that was pretty typical for the time. The Millers take it further in the country direction.

Don't know why I didn't connect the dots before, is this song the reason that Bob's son Jakob named his band the Wallflowers?

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Was just watching this movie called Cadillac Records last night. This scene is when Chuck Berry hears the Beach Boys song for the first time. Adrien Brody plays Leonard Chess. Great history.

Reaction Score
Johnny Cash's cover of Nine Inch Nail's "Hurt" is raw, restrained and poignant. He wasn't going to try and echo the haunting industrial rock of Trent Reznor's original. Cash was a legend closing in on the end of his life and the song's pulsing guitar sounds give Cash's "Hurt" a sense of urgency. In the end, it becomes a tour de force that even Reznor called "every bit as pure."

He absolutely nailed it. Sadly not long afterwards he passed.

Reaction Score

Still stretching the boundaries of rock, the incomparable Tom Waits puts his spin on a show tune that was a hit for The Four Lads in the 50’s

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Another one from the Metallica 'Blacklist' album.
Alessia Cara with The Warning and their version of 'Enter Sandman'.
Not a note-for-note cover, but an amazing rendition.
OMG...what an amazing take on the song!!!!!!
Thank you, @64Zcode for posting it!!!!

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
K.D. did a solo version, but I love this duet.
Has there ever been a thread on covers but only a duet or when the original group performs with another person or group?
Think Aerosmith and Run DMC...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
OMG...what an amazing take on the song!!!!!!
Thank you, @64Zcode for posting it!!!!
Just a little backstory on the song; Metallica invited selected artists across all genres of music to pick a song from the Black Album and do their own interpretation of it with all the proceeds from the compilation going to charity. The instructions were to (and I'm paraphrasing) " do whatever you want with it, turn it on its head, play it backwards, we don't care".
There are 53 (I think) covers on the Blacklist compilation.
Alessia Cara is a Canadian pop star with numerous awards and she was the one invited to participate. She has the same international management group as The Warning, a 3 sister rock band out of Monterrey, MX.
Alessia invited The Warning to share the project and this is the result - they had one week to make the song and submit it. The Warning drummer, Paulina is an enormously creative and talented musician/composer and this is what they came up with. The collab was done with Alessia still in Canada and The Warning in Mexico. Their producer imported Alessia's singing over the net and worked with the band to mix it.
Incredible result and I watch it a lot.
Glad to hear that you liked it, a few die-hard metal fans didn't.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom