Best coaches that have yet to make a Final Four | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best coaches that have yet to make a Final Four

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, why? I know we’re duty bound to deify him here but what makes him so special? He certainly wasn’t anything noteworthy before he got to Creighton.
I think he's one of the best game planners I've seen. He absolutely exploited what Hurley did every time we played. Really forced Hurley to finally adjust. I don't think his teams are talent loaded as much as it seems, he just maximizes what they can do. I think he's a heck of a coach. Certainly don't think Creighton is buying players over anybody else. Locally they compete with KU, K State, the Iowa Schools, Mizzou and I suppose Nebraska, all of whom have more financial pull and bigger boosters.

Reaction Score
McDermott is definitely not just a bag man, he's a really good coach too. But I feel like everyone just completely forgets that he was right in the middle of the Adidas/Brian Bowen scandal and is on tape offering him money to go to Creighton

Reaction Score
Rick Barnes only being to 1 FF is almost more disappointing than half these guys never making it

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
McDermotts a good coach but nowhere close to as good as this board seems to think he is…despite all the titles he’s won with inferior talent

Reaction Score
Occasionally the other team will have a good coach and we'll lose and I'll think "We got beat." And maybe I'll think part of it is the other team's coach doing good things. But the only 2 coaches over the last half decade or so that I've said "We are much better than this opponent, literally the only reason we are losing this game is because of their coach" was Kelvin Sampson and Greg McDermott.

Sampson it just felt like we were being strangled alive in the AAC games. We didn't just miss shots against them, I don't think we got a single good shot the whole game. Their guys were just literally always in the right spot on D, there were 0 driving lanes, and everything was contested heavily.

McDermott it was specifically the game 2 years ago on the road, I think @HuskyHawk is referring to the same thing with the gameplanning. I also think he's done a good job with optimizing his scheme for his roster. He used to play 5 out with a small ball 5, now he plays PnR with Kalkbrenner. They lose guys to injury and the team doesn't get any worse. Always top 50, usually top 30 KenPom. Really good coach.

Sean Miller had some pretty good moments last season and he was the first I remember to really go full extreme on the Dorking of Jackson last season, but it wasn't quite the same feeling, probably at least partially because they had a lot of talent, too (and his players made a ton of shots against us).

Jay Wright it was hard to separate the development and talent he had when we played him. He gets credit for all that obviously, but felt like his structure/scheme and development was better than his Xs/Os and gameday planning. Same thing for Mick Cronin.

In 5 years, we're going to decide if Matt Painter is Jay Wright or Mike Brey. His D has let him down on a few really good teams, but he has had some good years on that side of the ball, too. In 18 years at Purdue, he's been top 30 in KenPom 14 times (missed his first year and then a 3-year stretch '13-15), and has been 8 straight years with a couple top 10 finishes. I do think he's the right answer to this question. Brey had a similar stretch, but the highs and average ere not generally quite as high

Reaction Score
I'd put McDermott and Bennett comfortably over Painter.
You completely match up with my top-two picks.

The consistency both coaches are able to stablize to their programs despite a lack of high-end talent is pretty incredible.

Since 2010:

Saint Mary's: seven tournament appearances, one S16.
Creighton: nine tournament appearances, one S16, one E8.

Reaction Score
You completely match up with my top-two picks.

The consistency both coaches are able to stablize to their programs despite a lack of high-end talent is pretty incredible.

Since 2010:

Saint Mary's: seven tournament appearances, one S16.
Creighton: nine tournament appearances, one S16, one E8.

Creighton has a lack of high-end talent?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Three 1st round picks since the tournament expanded in 1985. It's not exactly North Carolina. The UConn number is 19 since 1985.

Reaction Score
Crieghton's best recruit of all time (per 247) is Arthur Kaluma at #49. We have almost as many former top 100 guys on our roster right now (8) than they have had ever (9). 5 of theirs were post COVID, so they went years at a time with none. None of Zegarowski, Kalkbrenner, or McDermott were top 100 recruits. Tyshon Alexander was like 90th.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have to throw some love at Coach Ken Reeves. The man spent his entire career at the high school level and never got the opportunity to coach at the college level. Forget his coaching, he was a builder of men. No one did more with a roster of 8 players, three of whom barely played, than Coach Reeves.

Attachments

• the-white-shadow-ialv05-1543937076.jpg
    the-white-shadow-ialv05-1543937076.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 58
Reaction Score
Just 12 four-star recruits in Creighton history.

Top-Five recruits per 247:

49 Kaluma
69 Nembhard
72 Patton
76 Miller
89 Alexander
Pretty remarkable that they've won 20 games every year but one in the ten years they've been in the BE with all the talent that cycles through the conference. That was the only year their conference record was below .500 as well.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

From this graph, not in any particular order

The best

McDermott
Oaks
Musselman

Coaches who've had their chances, but failed

Painter
Miller
Hamilton
Dixon

Coach at the wrong school

Bennett

Coach I no longer respect

Cooley

Coaches I have no opinion on, which is better than those who already missed their chance

Ellis
Tang
Lloyd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24