Best case/worst case for 2012-13: player-by-player | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best case/worst case for 2012-13: player-by-player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nice post! It just demonstrates how tough it is for addicts like us to sit out the off-season.
I would like to comment on only two:
1. KF: Short of injury (perish the thought), there really is no worst-case scenario for her...Yes, I'd love her to develop more confidence in her shooting, but her overall contribution on the floor is so extraordinary, and her work ethic is so manifestly committed, I can't see her as anything but a consistently powerful force out there, night after night...she will lead the team in minutes, I can assure you, and I hope she's named Captain. No one is more prepared to put the team on her shoulders!
2. BB: This one really could go either way. No one coming off the bench has more speed, more athleticism, and more upside potential than she. She's one of the reasons that I hope KF is Cap'n, a teammate who will demand the greatest commitment from her. The problem, of course, is that Geno, with so many options, will keep her on a short leash, and I fear that she won't be able to find her game without more minutes on the floor, playing through the inevitable mistakes.

I find all of these comments about the leadership on the court skills of Caroline and Kelly a little confusing.

Last season, the leader on the court was Bria.

The previous season, the leader on the court was Maya.

The season before that the leader on the court was Rene.

No coach can dictate who will assume a leadership role on the court.

The team decides who they will listen to on the court.

IMHO, Bria will continue to be the leader on the court for UConn.

Peace,

John Fryer

Reaction Score
I agree, as a coach I appreciate the intangibles that KF and CD add. However, to beat Baylor they need more firepower, and speed. The defense has been very good, the offense needs more balance.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Those of you who apparently think Kelly Faris is just a "nice" player but not necessarily a key, or even a starter, for this team really are exposing your lack of insight.

Kelly is the most indespensible player the Huskies have. She may not be the as great a scorer, ball handler, rebounder, leader or, perhaps, defender as one or more other members of this very talented team. Yet, her value in sum is greater than anyone. I can't imagine any team in the country that wouldn't be improved by having her in its starting line-up.

I'm gonna be very curious as to how the professional teams assess her when she becomes available to them next year. I figure some BYers may be extremely surprised.

But, I recall some here had a similar lack of appreciation for what Ketia brings to the game.

Reaction Score
To John F, I must respectfully disagree. No one is a bigger fan of Bria than I, but, in my opinion, one characteristic of last year's team is that we did not have one indisputed leader, one that defined the personality of the entire team. This was really only to be expected in the first post-Maya season, and one certainly could not realistically expect a Sophomore, even one as offensively talented as BH, to pick up that slack. But the fact remains that once that leader does emerge, as I expect this season, she does tend to put her indelible "stamp" on what the team is all about from the standpoints of commitment, competitive ferocity, etc. In those areas, we are fortunate to have several candidates, but only one who can adopt that role with unquestioned authority and respect, and that's Kelly. Anyone wanna wager on what player, by season's end, barring injury, has the most total minutes???

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Bria was never the "leader" of last year's team.

Reaction Score
With the exception of Samarie Walker, whose personal situation didn’t seem to fit with the (nobody’s fault, certainly not Samarie’s), this is what I saw:
There was no traditional team leader. Everyone lead in their own way. A mutual respect by everyone to everyone. A sense of cooperation and support. No one was shut out. There was no clique. Everyone liked everyone else. They understood each other. Even the end of the bench felt comfortable in speaking up. Among themselves, they were all equals. They played with each other with an obvious joy.
To me these were the reasons they went so far. I give the coaching staff the credit for fostering this atmosphere and recognizing the players knew what they needed to do to create a superior team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom