OT: - Best brunch buffets in CT | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Best brunch buffets in CT

Reaction Score
To me, brunch is the buffet style deal with an omelet station, waffle station, carving station and other general staples. I want to take my time, have a bunch of different items, throw back some bloodys and nurse away a hangover.

I don't get how some spots (like Firebox) call it brunch and just offer up individual breakfast items on a menu.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Then brunch that's not a buffet is just an all day breakfast menu.
I beg to differ. For example, weekends at the Half Door feature a brunch from 10-2. That's brunchtime. The menu is an assortment of breakfast and lunch favorites including things like a frittata or monte cristo that have feet in both camps. In other words, brunch.

Reaction Score
I beg to differ. For example, weekends at the Half Door feature a brunch from 10-2. That's brunchtime. The menu is an assortment of breakfast and lunch favorites including things like a frittata or monte cristo that have feet in both camps. In other words, brunch.

The effort to straddle the line is exactly why it's not brunch. Brunch shouldn't require you to pick between breakfast and lunch foods. You should be able to get both. Difficult to do without a buffet . . .

Reaction Score
It’s probably just for nostalgia reasons, but I grew up on brunch at Sheffield’s in Cromwell. It’s in the Crown Plaza hotel (Radison before that). Every year for Mother’s Day or Easter my family would go there.

Solid breakfast, seafood options, carving station, dessert table, waffle station, etc.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The effort to straddle the line is exactly why it's not brunch. Brunch shouldn't require you to pick between breakfast and lunch foods. You should be able to get both. Difficult to do without a buffet . . .
That's the Monte Cristo. Basically a club sandwich on french toast.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And a cop-out.
No, we just have different definitions of brunch. To me, brunch doesn't necessarily mean I need to eat more than one main dish.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Thought of another decent buffet. Don’t always have it but the restaurant at Hawk’s Landing in Southington.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Thought of another decent buffet. Don’t always have it but the restaurant at Hawk’s Landing in Southington.
Closer to my house so made reservations there for mother’s day... thanks for heads up.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Closer to my house so made reservations there for mother’s day... thanks for heads up.
Just another example how talking things out provides a solution.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Worth every penny. Objectively better than Water’s edge.
agreed
the location itself is worth it plus food is great
eat on the porch overlooking the sound
the family that runs it are great folks
but its Madison so you pay
or you can walk down the road and get some breakfast at Cristy's- banana chocolate chip pancakes :)

Reaction Score
My cheap friend swears by Foxwoods buffet. Surprisingly not that bad. I’d go back.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Logistically, it has ended up that we will do a Saturday dinner instead. I am surprised at the dearth of options in the central part of the state. To those who enjoy a good brunch buffet, I suggest a long weekend in the finger lakes. Stay in Ithaca and go to Taverna Banfi for Sunday brunch. Hit the wineries on the lakes and especially Seneca. I can provide suggestions. Ithaca farmer's market is nice too as is the glass museum in Corning. Seneca has nice parks at the North and South ends. One has waterfalls and hiking, the other has nice views and walking trails. There is a bunch of smaller stuff to see too.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Father in law is a member at Ellington Ridge. Had a pretty serviceable brunch there today

Reaction Score
Perhaps this deserves another thread, but we need Waffle House up here
I agree. The closest are near Scranton PA for us in CT. My favorite is the All-Star Slam with peanut butter waffles. We always stop at least once in any roadtrips south.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What makes it so bad

Perhaps they have improved but small high priced boring menu with terrible service. I was there shortly after they opened so maybe it’s better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom