Best 5 right now, Sun 12/20 ... | The Boneyard

Best 5 right now, Sun 12/20 ...

Reaction Score
... based on what we've seen so far, not necessarily the best on paper and not on who should be starting? Who should be starting is an entirely different question because there may be reasons you don' start your best 5 alhough sometimes the two lists are the same.

I got Liv, Paige, Edwards, Aubrey and Anna (slightly over Evina). Williams is not in my best 5 because she is too inconsistent. If here shot is not going in she just doesn't contribute as much as the others.

Who you got?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Really?

I got the same 5 Geno has been starting in each of the first 4 games. Evina has been the glue that holds this team together, doing whatever is necessary to help the team win, while providing great leadership to a young team.

The suggestion that Christyn does not contribute much if her shot is not falling is just flat out wrong. Christyn’s defense has improved significantly and she is one of the better rebounding guards I’ve seen. Her passing has also improved as well.

Aubrey & Aaliyah are providing solid minutes off the bench, and that’s exactly how the rotation should be at this point in the season.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Really?

I got the same 5 Geno has been starting in each of the first 4 games. Evina has been the glue that holds this team together, doing whatever is necessary to help the team win, while providing great leadership to a young team.

The suggestion that Christyn does not contribute much if her shot is not falling is just flat out wrong. Christyn’s defense has improved significantly and she is one of the better rebounding guards I’ve seen. Her passing has also improved as well.

Aubrey & Aaliyah are providing solid minutes off the bench, and that’s exactly how the rotation should be at this point in the season.
I think by tournament time, it's quite likely that Aaliyah will make it into the starting lineup, most likely replacing Anna (who will still play big minutes). That is particularly true if Paige / Christyn / Evina can start hitting 3's at a 40% rate consistently. Then Anna's contribution in that department will be less necessary, and Aaliyah's brute-force presence in the paint can be exploited with more minutes.

It will also hep if Evina can complement Paige as a passer, so that the passing aspect of Anna's contribution is somewhat covered.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Completely confused by the questions and even more so by the qualifiers such as "this is not about who should be starting" Are you simply trying to identify the 5 most productive players regardless of position and the current starting lineup? If that is the case suggest you use @JRRRJ link & spread sheet which normalizes the stats on a per 40 minutes basis. Per-40 stats updated for Seton Hall.
You still have to be careful though and might want to wait a few more games. That spread sheet might lead you to believe that our best (most productive) players are sitting on the bench. BTW Christyn Williams is and has been doing plenty of other things to help the team when her shot is not falling.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think by tournament time, it's quite likely that Aaliyah will make it into the starting lineup, most likely replacing Anna (who will still play big minutes). That is particularly true if Paige / Christyn / Evina can start hitting 3's at a 40% rate consistently. Then Anna's contribution in that department will be less necessary, and Aaliyah's brute-force presence in the paint can be exploited with more minutes.

It will also hep if Evina can complement Paige as a passer, so that the passing aspect of Anna's contribution is somewhat covered.
The games vs Baylor & SC will determine whether UConn can basically start Liv and 4 big guards, or they are forced to start either Aaliyah or Aubrey, and give up some offense in the process. I actually believe that Geno will stick with the lineup he’s currently using. The offensive movement, great passing and ability to put up lots of points makes UConn a nightmare for any team to defend.

IMO, the only way the current lineup changes is if someone gets injured. Got my fingers crossed that Evina stays healthy and continues to play great.

Reaction Score

it's yet to be determined how well ONO and Edwards play together.............there's only so much room on the block and they both can't be there at the same time..........if either one perfected their mid range shooting that might make it a stronger case......

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The games vs Baylor & SC will determine whether UConn can basically start Liv and 4 big guards, or they are forced to start either Aaliyah or Aubrey, and give up some offense in the process. I actually believe that Geno will stick with the lineup he’s currently using. The offensive movement, great passing and ability to put up lots of points makes UConn a nightmare for any team to defend.
IMO, the only way the current lineup changes is if someone gets injured. Got my fingers crossed that Evina stays healthy and continues to play great.
Agreed. The defensive cohesion established by the starting 5 has been more impressive that the offensive movement IMO and the primary reason Geno will not make a change to the starting lineup. Simply put UCONN NEVER established that defensive cohesion last year and it is this cohesion that is fueling the offense, specifically the high FG%.

Reaction Score
My current opinion based on what I've seen is that the starting rotation will (and likely should) change depending on what the opponent can bring to the table. Usually the current starting lineup with AE replacing Anna or Evina against a good big lineup. Those to me are the current 6 best players followed closely by AG. I'd think that Nika would be next as a backup PG without afecting any other spots would be necessary. The others need time to learn the system. I like what they can bring but each has things that need work before prime time.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Agreed. The defensive cohesion established by the starting 5 has been more impressive that the offensive movement IMO and the primary reason Geno will not make a change to the starting lineup. Simply put UCONN NEVER established that defensive cohesion last year and it is this cohesion that is fueling the offense, specifically the high FG%.
Agreed. The other thing that is really good to see, is that the ball no longer gets “stuck” on offense, something that we witnessed all too frequently last season. This year, while there might be an ill-advised pass from time to time, player and ball movement is significantly better than anything I observed last season.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The best 5 right now:
Paige
Evina
Christyn
Liv
Aaliyah.

I do agree with Geno on the starting 5.

Since we've only played 4 games, both lists could change.

Reaction Score
... based on what we've seen so far, not necessarily the best on paper and not on who should be starting? Who should be starting is an entirely different question because there may be reasons you don' start your best 5 alhough sometimes the two lists are the same.

I got Liv, Paige, Edwards, Aubrey and Anna (slightly over Evina). Williams is not in my best 5 because she is too inconsistent. If here shot is not going in she just doesn't contribute as much as the others.

Who you

This is complete insanity. The present starting 5 are who should be starting. Period.

Reaction Score
Completely confused by the questions and even more so by the qualifiers such as "this is not about who should be starting" Are you simply trying to identify the 5 most productive players regardless of position and the current starting lineup? If that is the case suggest you use @JRRRJ link & spread sheet which normalizes the stats on a per 40 minutes basis. Per-40 stats updated for Seton Hall.
You still have to be careful though and might want to wait a few more games. That spread sheet might lead you to believe that our best (most productive) players are sitting on the bench. BTW Christyn Williams is and has been doing plenty of other things to help the team when her shot is not falling.
Coco, excellent point. The best, most productive 5 might not be the starting 5 for some obvious reasons. Usually you need at least 1 big, a couple of guards that can shoot, maybe a lock down defender, someone you trust to keep her head and not make mistakes. Maybe one of the "best 5" comes off the bench to shock the other team when they are a little winded.

I got an idea, even though the BY'ers know more, why don't we leave this to coach Geno who has had a decent record over the years :)

Reaction Score

Aaliyah doesn't dribble like Anna, doesn't shoot like Anna, and doesn't pass like Anna. Aaliyah will still get big minutes.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I mean it's your opinion, but it's not based on anything in reality. Williams is in the top 5 of every category.

Reaction Score

You are exactly correct Oldude. The starting five is set for the time being and AE & AG are 6 & 7. I hope Nika becomes a productive # 8, and somewhere down the line, MM becomes a productive # 9. Then we will give everyone a run for their money.

I know what you are saying about AW getting hurt. I also see PB taking a good amount of hard falls.

Reaction Score

Who you got?
I would start Aubrey every game as our "lockdown" defender, to harass our opposition's point guard and to totally disrupt our opponent's offensive schemes. Mir would be the perfect backup for Aubrey and, with either, our rebounding would be significantly better. "Defense and rebounding win championships!" --- Pat Summitt
Evina would come off the bench and could adequately back up Paige, CW and Ania.

And of course ONO is our sine qua non, the most essential piece on the chess board, eh?

So, where does that leave Aaliyah, other than Liv's backup? Aaliyah is our only true "4", so if we go to a 3-guard offense, then Aaliyah gets BIG minutes.
If Nika gets healthy, i m projecting her as a 'pass-first' backup for Paige and an additional stalwart defender.
And lastly, if we desperately need a trey, I suggest we bring in Autumn who is supposedly a 'dead-eye' in practice. This move would have the element of surprise! haha

Reaction Score
Every one mentions Evina and no one mentions Anna, but they have scored the same number of points, have th same number or rebounds, Anna has more assists, Evina more steals and Anna more blocks. Anna must be Rodney Dangerfield.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
it's yet to be determined how well ONO and Edwards play together.............there's only so much room on the block and they both can't be there at the same time..........if either one perfected their mid range shooting that might make it a stronger case......
ONO has been shooting it from mid range pretty well last two games. AE and ONO have played pretty effectively together this season. One marked improvement in ONO from last year is her patience on the high ball screen. She is not quite Dolson but last year she had a tendency to be in a hurry to set the screen and often got called for offense fouls.

Reaction Score
ONO has been shooting it from mid range pretty well last two games. AE and ONO have played pretty effectively together this season. One marked improvement in ONO from last year is her patience on the high ball screen. She is not quite Dolson but last year she had a tendency to be in a hurry to set the screen and often got called for offense fouls.

I have a feeling we will see more of the two of them out there leading up to the Baylor game where size is going to be a bit of a concern..........my other issue with the two of them on the court at the same time is that personal fouls can multiply pretty quickly and who does that leave UConn with if they both have three fouls starting the second half............let's just say I'll be more comfortable with the concept next season with Amari DeBerry on the bench

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom