Berube's Princeton Team Makes Top 25 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Berube's Princeton Team Makes Top 25

Reaction Score
If Shea's ultimate career goal is to be the UConn head coach, then the best move she can make is to get a head coaching job somewhere in the Top 100 of WCBB, and develop an independent record of success in that role. That is exactly what Carla Berube appears to be doing. It is what Jen Rizzotti has attempted to do, but without (at least recently) the requisite level of success.

It is too risky to promote an assistant who has never been a head coach anywhere -- too much chance of a "Holly syndrome".

However, I would make an exception in the case of Sue Bird. Her name recognition with potential recruits (which Shea / Carla / Jen do not have), her obvious leadership abilities, and above all, her knowledge of the very highest levels of basketball worldwide, reduce the risk to an acceptable and even miniscule level.
Totally agree on Shea, and for exactly your same reason I disagree with Sue as an exception. That just takes your very sound logic and blows it up. The risk of hiring a head coach with zero coaching experience - regardless of who it is - is enormous.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I thought Shea had a coaching position at some P5 school (Pitt?) before she came back to UConn? I was searching and the details are sketchy.

Reaction Score
I thought Shea had a coaching position at some P5 school (Pitt?) before she came back to UConn? I was searching and the details are sketchy.
Yes. Assistant at Pitt. Now she needs to get, and succeed at, a head coaching job somewhere like that if she expects to get the the big job at UConn.

Reaction Score
Carla was quite comfortable at Tufts, and coached there for quite a few years.
It seems not improbable to me that she will get quite comfortable at Princeton
and want to stay there for as long as they'll have her.

Reaction Score
I expect that long before Geno retires, Carla will have moved on to a top-10
program...and will have shown her potential in recruiting prowess...

That is, unless she guides Princeton into the elite. Not impossible. :)

I am not sure at all that she will have moved on by the time Geno retires. She spent 17 years at Tufts, even though she had many opportunities to move and could likely have had 50 interviews over that that time span had she sought them. It appears that she is not that interested in moving up and prefers certain types of jobs. Princeton may well be that type of job, and she clearly thought it was. Even if Princeton becomes a consistent top 25 program - and it will be difficult to sustain that level - that still won't tell us much about her ability to recruit the top players in a scholarship world. If she can turn Princeton into a consistent top 10-12 program, then I think she would have proven her recruiting ability - but I think that is unlikely.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No offence to Carla but D3 and Ivy Leagues head coaching is light years away from running a program that is consistently competing for a National Tittle.
Offense taken. Being a successful head coach is light years away from being the third banana.

Reaction Score
I am not sure at all that she will have moved on by the time Geno retires. She spent 17 years at Tufts, even though she had many opportunities to move and could likely have had 50 interviews over that that time span had she sought them. It appears that she is not that interested in moving up and prefers certain types of jobs. Princeton may well be that type of job, and she clearly thought it was. Even if Princeton becomes a consistent top 25 program - and it will be difficult to sustain that level - that still won't tell us much about her ability to recruit the top players in a scholarship world. If she can turn Princeton into a consistent top 10-12 program, then I think she would have proven her recruiting ability - but I think that is unlikely.
If she can turn Princeton into a consistent Top 10-12 program, without scholarships, she will be the greatest coach in the history of basketball.

Reaction Score
If she can turn Princeton into a consistent Top 10-12 program, without scholarships, she will be the greatest coach in the history of basketball.

Perhaps, although with Princeton's relatively new financial aid policies it is at least remotely possible. Especially when you factor in that the top women players have, on average, much better academics, than the top male players. Fifteen years ago, to keep Princeton is the top 12 would have been totally impossible.

In any event, I wouldn't be a supporter of hiring someone who has never recruited a scholarship player unless that coach shows herself to be a miracle worker as far as winning without scholarships.

Reaction Score
Geno has at least another 20-25 years left to coach and lot can happen within that time.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Geno has at least another 20-25 years left to coach and lot can happen within that time.

I admire your optimism
but consider your premise highly unlikely.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Carla & Tigers get some Feinberg ink: Led by former UConn women’s basketball player Carla Berube, Princeton back in Top 25 for first time in five years

“The cupboard wasn’t bare, it’s been a strong program and team for many, many years,” Berube said on Monday after the Tigers entered the poll at No. 25. “I stepped into a great situation, a great and talented and deep team. They were ready to work, ready to sort of just learn from the new coaching staff. They’ve been sponges ever since we stepped on campus."

Reaction Score
Tennessee recently beat Missouri by 11 points in Knoxville. Two games prior, Princeton beat Missouri by 35 points in Columbia, MO.

As we saw in games between South Carolina, Baylor, and Indiana, the transitive property doesn’t necessarily hold. It is interesting nonetheless that Princeton did so much better than Tennessee did against a common opponent.

I had Princeton in my top 25 in the BY poll. It’s great to see Carla and the Tigers doing so well.

Reaction Score
I remember Carla as a player. She was one of those people who maximized their talent and Geno loves those types of players. She was also someone who Geno would "sic" on the other teams best player. Hope to see her team in post season play.

Reaction Score
Geno & CD’s input should be at the top of the list to be sought out and listened to, but outgoing bosses/coaches typically have loyalties which can interfere with an objective hiring decision. Bad business practice.
Excellent point! Much as i love Geno and CD, i suspect their egos might get in the way. AND, as earlier stated, there are a number if terrific young coaches out there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom