Berube's Princeton Team Makes Top 25 | The Boneyard

Berube's Princeton Team Makes Top 25

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Here is her quote

"I'm really thrilled to be in the Top 25 and for us to be recognized," first-year Princeton coach Carla Berube said. "It's great for our league. Our league is really, really strong this year. Opening up this weekend so we're excited about that. It's great to get this national attention. We've put together a great nonconference these first couple months. Had some really great wins. I like where our team is at."

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Among others, I have been noting her progress.
This successful Princeton team is inherited...
so her recruiting prowess at this level
has not been established; indeed, with the lack of athletic scholarships in the league
that aspect of her talents may be an unknown.

Nevertheless, to date, she is clearly rising to the top in terms of success
with regard descendants of UConn BB.

Does that have any future relevance for our Husky's or is a port like Stanford in her future?

Reaction Score
The Tigers have been pounding virtually all comers, from all regions, often by 30-40 points in the mode of our Huskies. Only loss am aware of was by two vs Iowa. Conference play still to come though.

Reaction Score
I am happy for Carla but honestly the next UConn coach? I doubt it. The coach in waiting is Shea. She has been involved in every aspect of the program including intimate knowledge of recruiting top level players. Shea already has had iteration with the top players as early as 8th grade. I would bet that Shea has had many opportunities to get a head coaching job if she showed any interest at all. Shea has more than put in her time with the program to EARN the top spot when it becomes available.

No offence to Carla but D3 and Ivy Leagues head coaching is light years away from running a program that is consistently competing for a National Tittle.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
All this talk about the NEXT UConn coach, Geno is going to be staying for at least 5 years so that he can add to his NC resume. Then when HE decides to leave, HE will be the one naming his replacement. His contract has him staying as an advisor in the Athletic department for at least 2 years after his retirement. Another words, he will make sure that the person he wants is the person that gets the job.

Reaction Score
All this talk about the NEXT UConn coach, Geno is going to be staying for at least 5 years so that he can add to his NC resume. Then when HE decides to leave, HE will be the one naming his replacement. His contract has him staying as an advisor in the Athletic department for at least 2 years after his retirement. Another words, he will make sure that the person he wants is the person that gets the job.
That's usually a bad plan. Hope they're smarter than that.

Anyway, I vote for Barube

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
That's usually a bad plan. Hope they're smarter than that.

Anyway, I vote for Barube
So you think that Geno and most likely CD wouldn't know who would be the best replacement for the Women's Basketball team, after they retire? They wouldn't put a person in charge just because they were an assistant coach or that they had to have played for UConn. I believe that they would pick the BEST person that they think that would carry on the winning tradition at UConn. That being said I also believe that person would have been associated with UConn Basketball, either as a player who went into coaching (HC or assistant), or one that had been an assistant coach on the team.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Of more immediate interest, isn't it about time for Princeton to appear on UConn's OOC schedule next year or the year after? That would be a quality opponent for both teams.

Reaction Score
How did that work out for the mens team besides that 1 season.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If Shea's ultimate career goal is to be the UConn head coach, then the best move she can make is to get a head coaching job somewhere in the Top 100 of WCBB, and develop an independent record of success in that role. That is exactly what Carla Berube appears to be doing. It is what Jen Rizzotti has attempted to do, but without (at least recently) the requisite level of success.

It is too risky to promote an assistant who has never been a head coach anywhere -- too much chance of a "Holly syndrome".

However, I would make an exception in the case of Sue Bird. Her name recognition with potential recruits (which Shea / Carla / Jen do not have), her obvious leadership abilities, and above all, her knowledge of the very highest levels of basketball worldwide, reduce the risk to an acceptable and even miniscule level.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Carla is a top flight coach. Her record at Tufts, USA Basketball and Princeton prove that. However, I don't think there is enough evidence to indicate she is a top flight recruiter. Kids go to Storrs, Connecticut to play for Geno and everything that entails. I am not sure there is a coach (including Carla) that will be able to continue at the same level of excellence that presently exists.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Agreed, and there is nothing that says it HAS to be someone off the UCONN coaching tree. There are some really terrific young mid major coaches who I would not mind at all taking over at UCONN. Also keep in mind how Holly fared at Tennessee, or any coach who has taken over for a legend. Not sure it's the best spot to be in...

Reaction Score
Time will tell. I think we have at least 5-8 years to debate about it. .

Reaction Score
Among others, I have been noting her progress.
This successful Princeton team is inherited...
so her recruiting prowess at this level
has not been established; indeed, with the lack of athletic scholarships in the league
that aspect of her talents may be an unknown.

Yes, her ability to recruit scholarship athletes is a complete unknown - since she has never done it and won't do it at Princeton. Recruiting in the Ivy is totally different than at other places. I'm sure she will be considered when UConn has to find a new coach - hopefully a long time in the future - but her lack of scholarship recruiting experience will have to be a significant consideration.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As long as UCONN is "bad for WBB", I think Geno will stay around. :D

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
"However, I would make an exception in the case of Sue Bird. Her name recognition with potential recruits (which Shea / Carla / Jen do not have), her obvious leadership abilities, and above all, her knowledge of the very highest levels of basketball worldwide, reduce the risk to an acceptable and even miniscule level."nowledge

You list some of traits that a head coach UConn will need. But not all the traits. So I have to disagree with you. My disagreement comes from the skills needed to coach and teach and 30 plus years in education. Great players do not always make great coaches.

Can Sue coach? Can she evaluate raw talent and see the potential? Does she have the skills needed to mold several individuals into a team? Can she "push the buttons" to develop players above their incoming skill level? Can she transfer her "worldwide basketball" knowledge to 18 to 22 year olds? And does Sue want to coach?

Name recognition and playing at the highest levels of basketball is not enough.

I have nothing but great respect for what Sue has accomplished in her professional career. But I don't see her as a head coach.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Carla is a top flight coach. Her record at Tufts, USA Basketball and Princeton prove that. However, I don't think there is enough evidence to indicate she is a top flight recruiter. Kids go to Storrs, Connecticut to play for Geno and everything that entails. I am not sure there is a coach (including Carla) that will be able to continue at the same level of excellence that presently exists.

Whoever replaces Geno will have at least 2 years (with a number of Geno recruits still on the team and an experienced support staff) to prove they can maintain the standards of the program. They won't be stepping into a black hole.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
"However, I would make an exception in the case of Sue Bird. Her name recognition with potential recruits (which Shea / Carla / Jen do not have), her obvious leadership abilities, and above all, her knowledge of the very highest levels of basketball worldwide, reduce the risk to an acceptable and even miniscule level."nowledge

You list some of traits that a head coach UConn will need. But not all the traits. So I have to disagree with you. My disagreement comes from the skills needed to coach and teach and 30 plus years in education. Great players do not always make great coaches.

Can Sue coach? Can she evaluate raw talent and see the potential? Does she have the skills needed to mold several individuals into a team? Can she "push the buttons" to develop players above their incoming skill level? Can she transfer her "worldwide basketball" knowledge to 18 to 22 year olds? And does Sue want to coach?

Name recognition and playing at the highest levels of basketball is not enough.

I have nothing but great respect for what Sue has accomplished in her professional career. But I don't see her as a head coach.

I think at least your first query is answerable. Geno often referred to Sue as his "coach on the floor" and opined her year on the bench watching the games, combined with her intelligence and drive to win, gave her that perspective.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
With regards to Sue Bird, I recall seeing a quote where she said to the effect that she would not be interested in coaching in Storrs - that it was too small a place for her. If UCONN were located in Boston or NYC, then perhaps. But east podunk Connecticut is not exciting enough for Ms. Bird...

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Yes, her ability to recruit scholarship athletes is a complete unknown - since she has never done it and won't do it at Princeton. Recruiting in the Ivy is totally different than at other places. I'm sure she will be considered when UConn has to find a new coach - hopefully a long time in the future - but her lack of scholarship recruiting experience will have to be a significant consideration.

I expect that long before Geno retires, Carla will have moved on to a top-10
program...and will have shown her potential in recruiting prowess...

That is, unless she guides Princeton into the elite. Not impossible. :)

Reaction Score
So you think that Geno and most likely CD wouldn't know who would be the best replacement for the Women's Basketball team, after they retire? They wouldn't put a person in charge just because they were an assistant coach or that they had to have played for UConn. I believe that they would pick the BEST person that they think that would carry on the winning tradition at UConn. That being said I also believe that person would have been associated with UConn Basketball, either as a player who went into coaching (HC or assistant), or one that had been an assistant coach on the team.
Geno & CD’s input should be at the top of the list to be sought out and listened to, but outgoing bosses/coaches typically have loyalties which can interfere with an objective hiring decision. Bad business practice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom