Berry Tramel: My advice to Connecticut — invest heavily, HEAVILY, in football or get out of the rat | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Berry Tramel: My advice to Connecticut — invest heavily, HEAVILY, in football or get out of the rat

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
And here is the trap: you have a guy like P and maybe he recruits well but makes a bad choice or two on his staff. So the offense struggles for a couple of years and it drags the team down a bit. He has a good class or two so you keep him but force him to make some coaching changes. He shows some improvement, maybe enough to give him one more year but he still has some flaws in his coaching system so finally you have to make the decision to let him go. But, the problem is that 4 freaking years have gone by.

You expect your HC to have some vision, to see issues and take the appropriate steps to correct them. GDL as OC was not working and our HC didn't take the necessary steps until forced to do so. That shows a lack of vision. A strong argument can be made that P should have been gone already. If the team doesn't show marked improvement he should be gone after next season. The desire is to keep looking at the recruiting class and give the HC the time to achieve success. But the trap is that the HC does not have the vision to make it happen and that is how a team gets lost in a loop of 4, 6 or 8 years of mediocrity.

Reaction Score
Funster, I'm inclined to agree with you. Here's a variation on a theme, though. What level of improvement is considered acceptable? Is 6-6, against a somewhat tougher schedule, good enough? 7-5? And what if we're 7-5, 6-6, 7-5 the next 3 years? At some point you have to aske, "does this coach have what we need to get to the next level?" I think this is the year to make that decision. If the answer is yes, you need to be prepared to ride it out for a few more seasons. If it is no, then he needs to be gone when the final whistle blows on the season.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Funster, I'm inclined to agree with you. Here's a variation on a theme, though. What level of improvement is considered acceptable? Is 6-6, against a somewhat tougher schedule, good enough? 7-5? And what if we're 7-5, 6-6, 7-5 the next 3 years? At some point you have to aske, "does this coach have what we need to get to the next level?" I think this is the year to make that decision. If the answer is yes, you need to be prepared to ride it out for a few more seasons. If it is no, then he needs to be gone when the final whistle blows on the season.

From what I've seen from PP, the team has to go 8-4. Anything less and he's out. He'd have to coach his ass off to get us to 8-4. Anything less isn't good enough. We don't have the time to screw around. 7-5, 6-6, 7-5 the next 3 years is not goood enough. It's three years that didn't move the program forward and three years we can't get back. That's why PP has one more year to really impress. If he can't, we look someplace else. We have to. Time's a wastin'

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
From what I've seen from PP, the team has to go 8-4. Anything less and he's out. He'd have to coach his ass off to get us to 8-4. Anything less isn't good enough. We don't have the time to screw around. 7-5, 6-6, 7-5 the next 3 years is not goood enough. It's three years that didn't move the program forward and three years we can't get back. That's why PP has one more year to really impress. If he can't, we look someplace else. We have to. Time's a wastin'

Then he's gone! The best I can see this team doing against this schedule is 6-6, and that will be tough.

Reaction Score
by the way they are not going to hire Mangini. No way no how. We've just gotten through with an NFL guy with local ties. By the time we hired him, pasqualoni was much more an NFL guy than an NCAA guy. Not making that mistake again. Our next coach will be a guy with strong college connections, probably a coordinator at a major program though a MAC/Sunbelt level head coach could be in the mix, too. But it will be a college guy first and foremost. think Charlie Strong type rather than Eric Mangini.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom