Benedict today | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Benedict today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The AD was behind the team when the band played the alma mater at the end of the game. At the end of the fourth quarter the public address announcer thanked all UCONN season ticket holders and fans for their support and looked forward to seeing us again next year.Other than the band there were under 300 people left in the stadium. It was beyond sad. The team looked to be in complete distress. Nobody stood by Diaco. The AD knows the score here and it will be up to the President if Diaco stays.
I sit in 242...went to the bathroom in the 4th and when I walked down the stairs to the concourse level it was like a ghost town...thought Inwas having a bad dream. When the clock hit 00:00 the only ones left in that section were maybe 5-6 people tops including me and my wife. Having had season tickets since day 1 there it was beyond sad.

Reaction Score
One problem with this is that there are a lot of coaches that are successful coordinators that fail as head coaches. Including Bob Diaco.
Never said anything about committing to the coordinator long term, but you can at least evaluate him for a handful of games before making the decision.

Reaction Score
There was a verbal agreement not quite a year ago to extend BD's contract and add job security (the new buyout) in exchange for BD withdrawing from consideration for the Rutgers job.

Benedict's choices, once the attorneys on both sides agreed to the details were a) sign the contract or b) show that he is willing to renegotiate on an agreement, which would make it nearly impossible for him to hire any coach in the future.

Can't blame Benedict for this.
For a newly christened AD to push back on signing a contract negotiated by the departing Warde Maniel and UConn attorneys, likely supported and agreed by Susan Herbst, and potentially awaiting arrival of Benedict, imagine the latter pushing back at 23:59:59. On the basis of publicly reported facts, e.g., the linked Courant article, it's not a reach for reasonable individuals with or without any contract experience to appreciate the scenario you convey.
Courant Bob Diaco contract article: Benedict's First Big Move At UConn: Extending Diaco's Contract Through 2020

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
There was a verbal agreement not quite a year ago to extend BD's contract and add job security (the new buyout) in exchange for BD withdrawing from consideration for the Rutgers job.

Benedict's choices, once the attorneys on both sides agreed to the details were a) sign the contract or b) show that he is willing to renegotiate on an agreement, which would make it nearly impossible for him to hire any coach in the future.

agree. Doesn't mean he is obligated to keep him, however

Reaction Score

A job in which he definitely made the final 2 for.

Reaction Score
agree. Doesn't mean he is obligated to keep him, however
Of course not, but the financial end of the decision to keep him or not is not being made by DB. I would be shocked if DB is sitting around saying "Yeah, I think Diao is a good enough coach to turn it around, let's keep him." That end of the decision likely was made at some point over the last month. The other end of that decision, whether to pay his buyout, is completely out of DB's hands.

Reaction Score
Was all the stuff about Diaco and Rutgers reported or is that inside info?

Alum86

Reaction Score
Well, then just as Nelson says, it indicates Suzy and McHugh et al are stringing us along to midmajor land, and utimately obscurity. Keep reuppin' and donating and shut up.

Reaction Score
Well, then just as Nelson says, it indicates Suzy and McHugh et al are stringing us along to midmajor land, and utimately obscurity. Keep reuppin' and donating and shut up.
I don't know that they're directly leading us there - they just don't have the $, and the state certainly doesn't have the $, lying around to buyout Diaco. Our best hope is DB can convince them to find $3.4M on January 1.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

They are not stringing us along, they are just saying that UConn does not have a lot of options.

The bigger issue is that a coach like this can create a vicious cycle that ends with 5k in the stands because the team is so terrible that fans stop caring.

Reaction Score
Mr. Benedict in his first year is presiding over one of the most disappointing and underachieving athletics years in UConn history. His honeymoon is officially over and he better fix it fast.

Reaction Score
For a newly christened AD to push back on signing a contract negotiated by the departing Warde Maniel and UConn attorneys, likely supported and agreed by Susan Herbst, and potentially awaiting arrival of Benedict, imagine the latter pushing back at 23:59:59. On the basis of publicly reported facts, e.g., the linked Courant article, it's not a reach for reasonable individuals with or without any contract experience to appreciate the scenario you convey.
Courant Bob Diaco contract article: Benedict's First Big Move At UConn: Extending Diaco's Contract Through 2020

Sorry that's wrong. Benedict's first job was to look at that contract with a fresh eye and see if it was the market rate. All he had to do was ask his old boss from Auburn who, given his success (and stones to fire a guy soon after winning a national title) would have said "you wanna gamble $5 million this guy is going to have a good year?"

Alum86

Reaction Score
Uhhhhhh... #actually he is obligated to either keep him or pay the buyout. That's what a contract is, an obligation.
what I said. He can fire him today

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Was all the stuff about Diaco and Rutgers reported or is that inside info?
Looking at some of the scores of Rutgers games this season, they clearly hired the wrong man. Diaco was clearly the better choice. Maybe they'll reconsider. For the love of everything holy, please reconsider!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I heard it pretty much first hand from a person involved with someone who was a target of that coaching search.

So Diaco told you himself?

C

Chief00

What bothers me more than anything is nobody is willing to say I made a mistake. Disco just does not come out to admit to any mistakes. That's a real big problem. And worse yet the administration does not want to admit it made a mistake to keep this guy. From the President, the board of trustees on down I believe everyone will be pointing fingers its not my fault. Someone needs to step forward and accept responsibility. Until this happens UCONN will go further into the black hole.

That person is Susan Herbst - she is tune deaf per the huge raises she was trying to push through for cronies while CT was laying people off. She is not likely to step forward to admit she screwed up the last 2 football hires.

Reaction Score
That person is Susan Herbst - she is tune deaf per the huge raises she was trying push through for cronies while CT was laying people off. She is not likely to step forward to admit she screwed up the last 2 football hires.
The Pasqualoni hire was on Hathaway and Austin..she was "consulted" in that it was "oh hello Susan this Paul and he will be our new football coach"

C

Chief00

The Pasqualoni hire was on Hathaway and Austin..she was "consulted" in that it was "oh hello Susan this Paul and he will be our new football coach"

You get paid the big bucks you owned the decisions on your watch.

Reaction Score
Sorry that's wrong. Benedict's first job was to look at that contract with a fresh eye and see if it was the market rate. All he had to do was ask his old boss from Auburn who, given his success ..."
And, you know beyond any doubt Benedict did not analyze the contract terms negotiated by Manuel and by UConn attorneys and which Herbst likely agreed with, supported, and signed off on before or shortly after Benedict's arrival? And, you have solid compelling facts supporting your opinion Benedict may not have consulted with outside parties, mentors, or even his former Auburn boss?

Highly dubious, unsupported yet possible opinion-based assumptions, especially in contrast to a far more probable scenario a new guy in town moved ahead with pre-existing, agreed contract terms, and may have avoided spitting in the top dog's snout. To each his own, but the latter is reasonable to believe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek