Benedict today | The Boneyard

Benedict today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have season tickets in 117. I saw Benedict in his designer suit and tennis sneakers for the first 5 minutes of the game. Disappeared-was he seen on the sidelines in the second half? Too cold for me to stay with this product.

Reaction Score
Yup...
Benedict, Goetz and Ceagles loitering @ 22yd line.

img_2113-jpg.17183

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Ever notice he never tweets during footballs games?

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
well this is football and he is very quiet. Disturbing .
On the clock, Auburn boy....
Tic toc

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Benedict should be canned. If his first major decision as AD is to give this clown a raise with a huge buyout off a 6-7 season, then I don't need to see his second decision.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Benedict should be canned. If his first major decision as AD is to give this clown a raise with a huge buyout off a 6-7 season, then I don't need to see his second decision.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the buyout/extension was already in the works when Benedict was hired, no?

DB must know already that he can't do what he was hired to do (build fan base/boosters/fundraising/improve facilities) with this product. IMHO, he'd have the most to lose (other than fans/players) by keeping Diaco. Otherwise his stay at Storrs becomes a big red flag on his resume to other schools should he try for another AD job.

Reaction Score
What bothers me more than anything is nobody is willing to say I made a mistake. Disco just does not come out to admit to any mistakes. That's a real big problem. And worse yet the administration does not want to admit it made a mistake to keep this guy. From the President, the board of trustees on down I believe everyone will be pointing fingers its not my fault. Someone needs to step forward and accept responsibility. Until this happens UCONN will go further into the black hole.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the buyout/extension was already in the works when Benedict was hired, no?

DB must know already that he can't do what he was hired to do (build fan base/boosters/fundraising/improve facilities) with this product. IMHO, he'd have the most to lose (other than fans/players) by keeping Diaco. Otherwise his stay at Storrs becomes a big red flag on his resume to other schools should he try for another AD job.
On your first comment:
Waylon seldom let's facts influence points of view.

On the second:
From what I've heard, DB is fully aware of this. I believe he began putting some pressure on Diaco during this season (which among other things added to BD's bizarre behavior) and, it is my guess that DB's recommendation to his superiors will be to move on from Diaco. Whether the school does or does not dismiss our current HC will be on them.

Reaction Score
You are seeing his second decision before your eyes...he keeps Bobby Boy. It's sickening.

Reaction Score
Had a surreal thought: with all of this talk about Benedict giving the extension to Diaco, thereby putting the buyout at $ 5M; the dumpster fire on the gridiron; the seeming lack of accountability.
Thought back to that old Sharry Lewis skit with Lamb Chop: Lamb Chop keeps calling a certain notorious historical figure Arnold Benedict. When Sharry corrects Lamb Chop that the figure's name is actually Benedict Arnold, Lamb Chop's reply was "And HE was even worse!"
Just trying to insert a little levity into an otherwise morose situation.

Reaction Score
Had a surreal thought: with all of this talk about Benedict giving the extension to Diaco, thereby putting the buyout at $ 5M; the dumpster fire on the gridiron; the seeming lack of accountability.
Thought back to that old Sharry Lewis skit with Lamb Chop: Lamb Chop keeps calling a certain notorious historical figure Arnold Benedict. When Sharry corrects Lamb Chop that the figure's name is actually Benedict Arnold, Lamb Chop's reply was "And HE was even worse!"
Just trying to insert a little levity into an otherwise morose situation.

Coach, Coach - Lamb Chops on a Football Board? Talk about dating yourself;)

Now, if you want to talk about Lamb Chops w/ mint jelly at your tailgate....

Reaction Score
As I mentioned in another thread - hire an OC you expect to name head coach early next season. That way, you can give him a tryout before going into next offseason with a coaching vacancy.

Diaco is so obviously not the answer, but that $5 million buyout is a lot to absorb for an athletic department that's bleeding money.

Reaction Score
Coach, Coach - Lamb Chops on a Football Board? Talk about dating yourself;)

Now, if you want to talk about Lamb Chops w/ mint jelly at your tailgate....
Maybe if/ when we again play Rhody or Navy at Home, & only if they are on sale! lol

Reaction Score
Was it?
Diaco's extension was announced in May, and I don't think Benedict had fully started at UConn yet. There are no quotes about the extension from him, which suggests he wasn't involved in that process.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Was it?
There was a verbal agreement not quite a year ago to extend BD's contract and add job security (the new buyout) in exchange for BD withdrawing from consideration for the Rutgers job.

Benedict's choices, once the attorneys on both sides agreed to the details were a) sign the contract or b) show that he is willing to renegotiate on an agreement, which would make it nearly impossible for him to hire any coach in the future.

Can't blame Benedict for this.

Reaction Score
As I mentioned in another thread - hire an OC you expect to name head coach early next season. That way, you can give him a tryout before going into next offseason with a coaching vacancy.

Diaco is so obviously not the answer, but that $5 million buyout is a lot to absorb for an athletic department that's bleeding money.
One problem with this is that there are a lot of coaches that are successful coordinators that fail as head coaches. Including Bob Diaco.

Reaction Score
The AD was behind the team when the band played the alma mater at the end of the game. At the end of the fourth quarter the public address announcer thanked all UCONN season ticket holders and fans for their support and looked forward to seeing us again next year.Other than the band there were under 300 people left in the stadium. It was beyond sad. The team looked to be in complete distress. Nobody stood by Diaco. The AD knows the score here and it will be up to the President if Diaco stays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom