Benedict/Mora presser. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Benedict/Mora presser.

Reaction Score
He’s in a tough position. This is the 3rd or 4th interation of a UConn FB rebuild. It’s smart to be deliberate but the unfair reality is everyone is out of patience. That’s a tough starting point. Chief wishes Jim well.

Reaction Score
I would have liked to know his philosophy on the transfer portal. That question never came.

Reaction Score
He’s in a tough position. This is the 3rd or 4th interation of a UConn FB rebuild. It’s smart to be deliberate but the unfair reality is everyone is out of patience. That’s a tough starting point. Chief wishes Jim well.
You can learn from your past mistakes or be doomed to repeat them. Not sure yet which way this hire leans?

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
A couple of three things from Mora in this presser that I enjoyed:

• He pronounces it ‘Vetchrin’s Day’ - That is the way a football coach should pronounce that word.
  • Regarding the challenge ahead at UConn - he has a favorite saying, “Hard things are hard” - That is a great football guy quote.
  • He repeats important things for emphasis, EMPHASIS!
  • He answers questions from the media with, “Well, Gavin… Well, Dom….” - this is a good way to curry favor with journalists
  • He was legitimately giddy talking about how he would watch 12 straight hours of football at the ESPN studios, which is something I do every weekend

Reaction Score

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
You know, I've been burned in the past by the introductory presser but, here we go again. He doesn't sound like a guy that's going to mail it in and I like the notion that he wants coordinators who are progressive and open-minded.

Reaction Score
I liked the presser, but the results on the field will tell the story. We have been fooled too many times before to get too caught up in rhetoric. I don't want to put a downer on this hire, but I am skeptical of any hire from past experience. In saying all that I wish coach Mora the best and hope he succeeds immensely.

Reaction Score
Watched the conference Zoom call, it was clear thar he is light years ahead of Edsall at dealing with the press.

His UCLA records got the 1st 4 years are solid, and he will be able to use his credentials to recruit effectively both on the portal and for in-home visits. He won't have deep recruiting roots in the East, but that can be built quickly if he is sincere and personable.

I hope he can get his former OC at UCLA to come here. We need an innovative offense for once. I am not too worried about his defense since he is a defensive coach and his 49er defense when he was DC there was solid.

Let's hope he can get this done cause Uconn really needs this to be successful.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm way too lazy to look it up, but didn't RE stumble over Benedict's name at his intro press conference? Called him "AD Dave" or something?

Was wondering if Mora's constant saying David or David Benedict was some shade thrown.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm way to lazy to look it up, but didn't RE stumble over Benedict's name at his intro press conference? Called him "AD Dave" or something?

Was wondering if Mora's constant saying David or David Benedict was some shade thrown.

TBF at RE2.0's presser, half the room wanted him stabbed.

Reaction Score
“We have to make incremental gains every single day,” Mora said. “We cannot waste a moment in our pursuit of regaining respect and becoming competitive. It’s a perpetual journey. We have to find ways to measure our success outside of the scoreboard initially – initially.

“I think the thing you’ll find out about me as we go on, I’m very competitive, very passionate and I don’t really relent a whole lot. It’s all about building and maintaining and cultivating the right culture, the right environment, where every day, everybody in that building is fully committed – fully committed to doing the things we need to do to gain ground.”

Reaction Score
I'm way too lazy to look it up, but didn't RE stumble over Benedict's name at his intro press conference? Called him "AD Dave" or something?

Kinda like disrespectful

Reaction Score
Seems like a solid, level headed guy. He was prepared for the questions and delivered. His response to how football has changed since he left was weak sauce and I found his different lens answer fairly contrived but about the only answer that would pass the test. I didn’t walk away jacked up. But, what’s done is done, so go HC Mora!

Reaction Score
He hasn’t been away from the game long enough to call him out of touch with the modern game. High octane offense was the norm while he was at UCLA and his teams played a creative, fast offense.

I think he’ll do well here and have us looking much better. The question will be how long he can sustain it and continue to grow it. I’m sure that’s his goal, to build something and sustain it. He has had great successes, but none that lasted for many years. His emphasis on relationships and enjoying being with people indicates to me that he envisions being a successful and integral part of UConn and the state of CT. That will go a long way with the fans. We want somebody to believe in us, our school and our state and go to battle for us. I don’t think we’ve had that in the FBS era. Our coaches have been way too self centered and stubborn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
High octane offense was the norm while he was at UCLA and his teams played a creative, fast offense.

It's interesting that his best year's at UCLA were with Mazzone and Spanos. They both ended up leaving for some reason and then things went downhill. The three of them together clicked. Hopefully it still clicks.

Reaction Score
It's interesting that his best year's at UCLA were with Mazzone and Spanos. They both ended up leaving for some reason and then things went downhill.
It is. I think Spanos set this whole thing up. I’d be thrilled if Mazzone comes along for the ride. His quick work here was beyond impressive

Reaction Score
It is. I think Spanos set this whole thing up. I’d be thrilled if Mazzone comes along for the ride. His quick work here was beyond impressive
After Spanos tweet about how great of a hire Mora was. I believe it was set up by Spanos. Which is okay with me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom