Bench non-strength! | The Boneyard

Bench non-strength!

Reaction Score
ND also won a NC last year with even less of a bench than what they have this year. So there’s that too.

Yes, that is part of my point. :rolleyes: We can win the tournament with our 5 starters. We need to bring our A game to the Final Four, which we have not done that last two years. The issue about our bench is not a deal breaker at all to winning the tournament. So says I. ;)

Reaction Score
Yes, that is part of my point. :rolleyes: We can win the tournament with our 5 starters. We need to bring our A game to the Final Four, which we have not done that last two years. The issue about our bench is not a deal breaker at all to winning the tournament. So says I. ;)

Many believe UConn would have beaten ND last year if Geno had utilized his bench to give KLS and others a rest......................having a good bench is not just about points...............it's about giving the starters a break while not giving away a lead................also remember that a bench player becomes a starter with foul trouble or even worse an injury.............ND has already played several games without Mabrey and Shepard without difficulty this season............if you enjoy the concept of a short bench you're going to love next season............

Reaction Score
I think you need a rotation of 6-7 players even if you are relying on your starters for most of the minutes and even if they all stay healthy. In a 30+ game season and especially in the tournament, there will be times of fatigue and occasional foul trouble.
Having said that, I don't think that the bench will be this team's biggest concern. I think it will be rebounding and being tough inside, at both ends of the court. I guess we'll see vs ND next Sunday..

Reaction Score
I think you need a rotation of 6-7 players even if you are relying on your starters for most of the minutes and even if they all stay healthy. In a 30+ game season and especially in the tournament, there will be times of fatigue and occasional foul trouble.
Having said that, I don't think that the bench will be this team's biggest concern. I think it will be rebounding and being tough inside, at both ends of the court. I guess we'll see vs ND next Sunday..

when your bench includes an athletic 6'4" freshman with long arms don't you think that she could help with the rebounding and defensive issues you mentioned?

Reaction Score
When will we get over the playing bench players more? Our starters play less than any other program. Look at mins per game.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
when your bench includes an athletic 6'4" freshman with long arms don't you think that she could help with the rebounding and defensive issues you mentioned?
I think she could help with rebounding and defensive issues, but as yet she has not done what some think she should. She is but a freshman. She will get better though, and hopefully will get in better condition. I think she is a solid recruit who will be very good in the coming years.

Reaction Score
I think she could help with rebounding and defensive issues, but as yet she has not done what some think she should. She is but a freshman. She will get better though, and hopefully will get in better condition. I think she is a solid recruit who will be very good in the coming years.

actually I've seen immediate impact defensively and on the boards when she comes in...........far fewer drives down the lane, altered and blocked shots etc...........frankly I think it's more about how she changes the offensive flow that is an issue

Reaction Score
One point not mentioned is that a bench also can minimize the constant physical stress of playing at 110% speed. Would we have won two years ago if Kia had not hurt her foot/ankle and had issues playing? What about last year when Crystal had a stress fracture and was a step slower in NCAA's? We all know the KLS story. You can win with 6 if they stay healthy but UConn has not proven it can play and practice at light speed and keep everyone on the court. While I think UConn's performance was wonderful the past few years, I would have loved to see everyone at full speed when it counted versus playing maximum minutes when up by 30+ early in the year.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
actually I've seen immediate impact defensively and on the boards when she comes in......far fewer drives down the lane, altered and blocked shots etc......frankly I think it's more about how she changes the offensive flow that is an issue
Not saying she does not change things, but she swats at shots and ends up fouling. And she gets pushed around a bit. Needs more stamina and strength. She will be fine , but expectations are too high around the Yard. I believe it is harder for post players to adjust to college level action.

Reaction Score
One point not mentioned is that a bench also can minimize the constant physical stress of playing at 110% speed. Would we have won two years ago if Kia had not hurt her foot/ankle and had issues playing? What about last year when Crystal had a stress fracture and was a step slower in NCAA's? We all know the KLS story. You can win with 6 if they stay healthy but UConn has not proven it can play and practice at light speed and keep everyone on the court. While I think UConn's performance was wonderful the past few years, I would have loved to see everyone at full speed when it counted versus playing maximum minutes when up by 30+ early in the year.
I have no ideas how practices are ran but I’m sure they are intense. Maybe lighten the load for them in practice instead of games?? Everyone wants to play, sitting in games is no fun.

Reaction Score
I have no ideas how practices are ran but I’m sure they are intense. Maybe lighten the load for them in practice instead of games?? Everyone wants to play, sitting in games is no fun.

I wish I know what someone like Lexi Gordon thinks when she gets less than 3min at the end of a 46 points blowout game.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I generally don't agree with those who say that Geno underutilized his bench, but there is one specific case where I don't understand his reasoning: Batouly Camara. In the few minutes that we have seen her, she has shown a tendency to foul, but she has also shown a lot of strength on the boards, and has shown a surprisingly accurate 10-foot jump shot. No other forward on the bench has shown similar rebounding strength, and it is something that the team will really need. Why is Geno reluctant to give her a bigger role?

Reaction Score
Olivia has the assets, but she is not yet able ( on the college level) to apply them consistently. Her rebounding is not skilled...what she gets, she gets due to height and length, not tactics. Her shooting under the basket is way out of control...I think she missed 5 pretty easy "put back" opportunities. She also clanked two free throws. However, you can tell that she has the tools to be great. She will consistently improve. But how great can she become by March? As an aside, I like the " guard play" of Mikayla ( confidence, speed, ball control ), but her shot ( as I have said since day one of her freshman year ) is flawed. She knows it. At one point she was so open she " had " to shoot...and she heaved it up from below her waist ( or so it appeared ) and it came no where near the basket. How can that be in a highly rated player? Her eyes will never line up with the ball and the basket. So she is limited...but can help eat some time.

Reaction Score
I wish I know what someone like Lexi Gordon thinks when she gets less than 3min at the end of a 46 points blowout game.
Yes, that is very peculiar. Not sure what the deal is.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
ND also won a NC last year with even less of a bench than what they have this year. So there’s that too.

Also to add...

ND won the national championship on not 1 but 2 last second shots that just happen to go in. Either one doesn’t and this is an entirely different conversation.

Reaction Score
Olivia has the assets, but she is not yet able ( on the college level) to apply them consistently. Her rebounding is not skilled...what she gets, she gets due to height and length, not tactics. Her shooting under the basket is way out of control...I think she missed 5 pretty easy "put back" opportunities. She also clanked two free throws. However, you can tell that she has the tools to be great. She will consistently improve. But how great can she become by March? As an aside, I like the " guard play" of Mikayla ( confidence, speed, ball control ), but her shot ( as I have said since day one of her freshman year ) is flawed. She knows it. At one point she was so open she " had " to shoot...and she heaved it up from below her waist ( or so it appeared ) and it came no where near the basket. How can that be in a highly rated player? Her eyes will never line up with the ball and the basket. So she is limited...but can help eat some time.

ONO missing sitters is no surprise.......she's rushing.........how do you fix that?...........you keep on playing her until the jitters go away.........Coombs was highly ranked due to her athleticism....she scored on end to end drives, follow up layups and mid range jump shots............I think she has great potential but for now she tends to rush things and is often in the air before she figures out who she is passing to...........regardless of their flaws, both those players should be getting a minimum of 15 minutes a game if Geno has any interest in using them at tournament time.......

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
It basically means that during practice that she hasn't grasped the UConn way, something every recruit is aware of.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Sorry, this is the UConn way and every recruit is aware of it. Geno is not going to change because he wants to put people in the best shape and the most well prepared on the court. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. And I bet many a top recruit doesn't come to UConn because of it.
But I would put his record since 1994 against any other coach's record, without a doubt!!!! Even though they have sometimes not been the NCs.

Reaction Score
Sorry, this is the UConn way and every recruit is aware of it. Geno is not going to change because he wants to put people in the best shape and the most well prepared on the court. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. And I bet many a top recruit doesn't come to UConn because of it.
But I would put his record since 1994 against any other coach's record, without a doubt!!!! Even though they have sometimes not been the NCs.
I agree but maybe every once in a while you need to adjust to your current team. Not every team is the same & it seems this team is a little more injury prone especially with our top 3 stars.

Reaction Score
Let me also state, I don’t have 1 national championship, let alone 11 so what the hell do I know!? Always fun critiquing from the cheap seats :cool:

Reaction Score
BYer's have been writing about the weakness of our bench.

Well, ND got 0 points, that is nothing, from their bench last night.

Just saying. :oops:
It is not ALL about POINTS from a bench, ND, UC, or USC or Ms ST--Well maybe--It's about giving up more points than you score. If not for Touly, ONO the "Bench" points would have been less last evening. In most game Geno would not thrilled if the "Bench" just holds what they were given. Recently, they have in a game or 2 out scored the opponents. I don't know about Geno; but I'm happy with that.
Coomb shall be a factor. So shall Batouly Camara, ONO won't meet some expections but she will score more than some expect. Irwin is Irwin and Molly is Molly. Gordon--the biggest question mark

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom